CPAP Users

shuttlebuggy

A little off topic. I had a sleep study done two weeks ago. I go back to my doctor next Thursday. I fully expect to be getting a CPAP. I am worried about getting used to it. Having a mask over my nose and mouth and still being able to sleep is a concern.

So to those of you that use the CPAP, how long did it take you to get used to it?

So to those of you that use the CPAP, how long did it take you to get used to it?

It took me a few, months, I'll admit. But now I absolutely cannot sleep without it.

The hardest part of learning to use the CPAP, for me, was learning to drag the hose along, without waking up, when I rolled over.

I was having a hard time adjusting, then went off on a 34-day cruise. The machine I had at the time was far too large (this was 17 years ago; machines have gotten smaller since then) to take with me. When I returned, I tried the machine again, and it went fine this time!

Keep at it. It's well worth the effort.

Keep at it. It's well worth the effort.

Amen! Don't just settle, though, for the first mask you try. The first one I had made me feel claustrophobic. Others had too much leakage (I have a moustache and beoard). As I mentioned previously, the nasal pillows were the right solution for me but some people find that they make for chronic irritation of the nasal passages.

I will mention one further drawback, without further elaboration: it is most decidedly NOT sexy. But in my case the snoring and the prolonged cessation of breathing (and ensuing sputter/strangling sound upon resumption) were even worse.

Amen! Don't just settle, though, for the first mask you try. The first one I had made me feel claustrophobic. Others had too much leakage (I have a moustache and beoard). As I mentioned previously, the nasal pillows were the right solution for me but some people find that they make for chronic irritation of the nasal passages.

I will mention one further drawback, without further elaboration: it is most decidedly NOT sexy. But in my case the snoring and the prolonged cessation of breathing (and ensuing sputter/strangling sound upon resumption) were even worse.

The sexy part made me laugh. Thank you. But since I sleep alone, that doesn't really bother me. And I don't expect that to change in the near future.

Thank you for your replies. I have had a mouth guard. I would put it in before I went to sleep and when I would wake the next morning, I would find it in the bed somewhere. I hope I don't do that with the CPAP.

The sexy part made me laugh. Thank you. But since I sleep alone, that doesn't really bother me. And I don't expect that to change in the near future.

Thank you for your replies. I have had a mouth guard. I would put it in before I went to sleep and when I would wake the next morning, I would find it in the bed somewhere. I hope I don't do that with the CPAP.

The technical name for a "mouth guard" is 'Mandibular Advancement Device'! ;) (Isn't that a 'mouthfull')! :D

A side question on this. My wife has one.

Any troubles with security at airports? Because of the nature of the device, it will be on our carry on.

I have seen some references to needing a prescription for the device.

What do you have when you take your CPAP?

Any troubles with security at airports? Because of the nature of the device, it will be on our carry on.

The "machine" part has to be removed from the carry-on, and placed in one of the plastic buckets, by itself. Since that's the part that's usually at the bottom of the carry-on, it gets a little messy putting everything back, but it's no more than that. Just keep track of all the pieces, hoses, etc.

I stopped using the CPAP bag, and started using a tote carry-on for the CPAP, my plastic bag, meds for travel, and compression stockings for the flight. This is a separate carry-on from the larger one holding the full supply of meds, make-up, jewelry, and change of clothes. That one goes in the overhead bin; the CPAP tote goes under the seat with my purse.

Since the CPAP is medical equipment, it is in addition to the "one carry-on/one personal item" rule in the USA.

Was wondering about any who experience sleep apnea

and must wear their CPAP thru the night, if yours uses distilled

water for humidity purposes, HOW you manage, and how you pack the water.

Any tips? Around here they only sell it by the gallon.

Hubby uses CPAP and MUST use the humidifier with it. We order distilled water from the cruise line, even though HAL's prices are ridiculous -- $4 for a gallon! We pay 89cents at home.

I know that some people will say to use ship's water but we tried that on one cruise and had some kind of residue in the humidifier so probably also in the hose.

Just an aside, my DH had the CPAP machine, and we dragged it around everywhere (along with the distilled water, BTW, great info about that Shuttlebuggy!). How he hated that machine, and the noise was just ungodly to be in the room with for me, it really disturbed my sleep. He now has something called "Silent Nite", it's a hard clear plastic mouth guard made by his dentist that repositions things so he no longer needs the CPAP. They made molds of his mouth and had a couple of fittings.... fits in your hand, he's very happy with it, YMMV.

Here is a link for it, I have no affiliation with the product, just happy with his results and one less bag to lug:

http://www.endsnore.com/silent-nite-snoring-prevention-device.aspx

How Silent Nite Slide-Link prevents snoring?

Silent Nite sl is a custom-fabricated dental device that moves the lower jaw into a forward position, increasing space in the airway tube and reducing air velocity and soft tissue vibration. Special connectors are attached to transparent flexible upper and lower forms. The forms are custom laminated with heat and pressure to the dentist's model of the mouth. The fit is excellent and comfortable, permitting small movements of the jaw (TMJ) and allowing uninhibited oral breathing.

That device might prevent snoring but most people who use CPAPs have sleep apnea which means they have pauses in their breathing. That is what CPAPs help with by pumping constant oxygen.

The device that helps snoring does NOT necessarily help with that dangerous cessation of breathing.

A side question on this. My wife has one.

TSA agents have become much more familiar with CPAP machines.

Even so, be prepared to take it out of its case for the TSA agent to look at more closely. Sometimes they will even wipe it with a swab. I guess that's to make sure there's no explosive on/in it.

Hubby takes his CPAP case as his personal item, in addition to his carry on.

Thank you all for the information.......have learned a lot here.....as always with this group.

We just returned from a week to Alaska on the Grande Westerdam and had no CPAP problems. The long extension cord we brought worked fine and we took it down and put it away before room service arrived in the morning.

For water, we brought a Brita Sports Bottle with filter and filled it with tap water each morning and let it sit all day until the evening. Is it the opinion of the group that this would eliminate or minimize the risk of using tap water, or is distilled water still the gold standard?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't used distilled water in my CPAP machine for years - once I realized how much it was costing me. I've never had a problem with my machine, masks, hoses or my health as a result -and it's been 8 years now without the distilled water. I just clean it periodically with vinegar.

I've taken it on a cruise, on a cross country Amtrak trip, and to numerous hotels in numerous cities without any issues - just remember to bring an extension cord.

I had the machine swabbed once by TSA, but all other times they've passed through the X-ray machine without comment. I used the Resmed CPAP carrying case as my carryon, cramming whatever else I think I'll need in the side pockets or around the machine. I do take my humidifier because I get uncomfortable without it.

I worried about traveling with it too in the beginning, but soon learned my concerns were without foundation. I love my CPAP machine.

Archived