CPAP Users

shuttlebuggy

I believe HAL charges 4 bucks for some distilled water for the cabin if you're in need. You can also ask them for an extension cord (to be on the "safe side bring your own but if they can supply one even better - people will be happy to post showing you where you aren't allowed to use your own but if it's live and death i'd pick life). They supplied one to us when we sailed as my boyfriend uses a cpap. The only plug for us was across the cabin by the desk, so he definitely needed the longer cord. We were in a VF on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

When I was on the Veendam last year, since we were driving to port, I just brought my bottle with me. Had a slight issue with security at the port (they weren't going to let me bring it) but when I advised it was for a medical device, they let me through.

That being said, I'll go off ship and buy regular bottled water before I pay $4.00 for a gallon of distilled water. It seems that HAL is the only line to charge for this. When I sail on Princess, 1 gallon is provided free of charge.

Have had a CPAP for better part of 10 years and have found that the occasional use of tap water doesn't cause any issues. Certainly wouldn't drag my own gallon bottle aboard. Don't understand those who don't flinch at $5 for a gin and tonic but see a $4 charge for distilled water as a big deal. But hey, we all choose our issues....

Have had no problems over 11 cruises now w/ bringing my own extension cord and some duct tape to keep it in place overnite. I take it down during the day to avoid trips.

While we don't need the machine - cc friends with us on our cruise in November did. He had no problems at all and was not charged for the water. they notified HAL in advance of the medical condition. (we were on the prinsendam). Perhaps it varies from ship to ship or cruise to cruise?

I always travel with 2 different length of extension cords in my CPAP bag, just to be on the safe side. Also, agree with a previous post, tap water isn't going to harm anything. I have been using a CPAP machine for 19 1/2 years & the only problem I ever had, was on my 1st trip abroad, plugging it in without using a converter. Partner had a Mcgiver moment, striped the paper off a baggie tie & wrapped the wire around the fuse. Saved the trip.

Thank you all - we will definitely be asking the front desk and / or steward for the water.

And an extension cord.

TO THOSE WHO SAID USE TAP WATER!

I AM a registered nurse...SO I feel I can offer this CAUTION to you, it is NOT just because

the water's minerals may damage your cpap machine that it is strongly suggested you ONLY use distilled water over tap water!!!!!

Just because water is safe enough for drinking does NOT mean it is safe enough for your sinuses!!!!

Your GI tract contains tons of flora meant to filter and fend off many different types of things. The sinus

cavities do NOT have this same set up in their mucosa lining (sorry....promise A&P CLASS OVER NOW!...LOL)

Impurities or bacterial contaminants found in some tap water can be potentially deadly to

you and though RARE,is it worth the risk to your health???

You see the nasal passages AND sinuses lie in direct & close proximity to the brain.

In the brain is wherein the danger for and affinity to bacteria and or amoebas to lodge and take up residence...

I am writing this to alert you that it is not just a mechanical reason for special water to be used, but a health "concern".

Does it mean EVERYONE will contract some bug from using tap water?????? - NO!!!!

But it places you "at risk", for that rare possibility/event,so why take that chance?

IF you use tap water of any kind, in your machine, anywhere it should at the very least be boiled and cooled to be made as sterile as possible.

For us, we will use distilled when and if at all possible, as in the process of distilling they are removing the most impurities.

Thank you all - we will definitely be asking the front desk and / or steward for the water.

And an extension cord.

I AM a registered nurse...SO I feel I can offer this CAUTION to you, it is NOT just because

the water's minerals may damage your cpap machine that it is strongly suggested you ONLY use distilled water over tap water!!!!!

Just because water is safe enough for drinking does NOT mean it is safe enough for your sinuses!!!!

Your GI tract contains tons of flora meant to filter and fend off many different types of things. The sinus

cavities do NOT have this same set up in their mucosa lining (sorry....promise A&P CLASS OVER NOW!...LOL)

Impurities or bacterial contaminants found in some tap water can be potentially deadly to

You see the nasal passages AND sinuses lie in direct & close proximity to the brain.

In the brain is wherein the danger for and affinity to bacteria and or amoebas to lodge and take up residence...

I am writing this to alert you that it is not just a mechanical reason for special water to be used, but a health "concern".

Does it mean EVERYONE will contract some bug from using tap water?????? - NO!!!!

But it places you "at risk", for that rare possibility/event,so why take that chance?

IF you use tap water of any kind, in your machine, anywhere it should at the very least be boiled and cooled to be made as sterile as possible.

For us, we will use distilled when and if at all possible, as in the process of distilling they are removing the most impurities.

Very good point shuttlebuggy. Pseudomonas is frequently in tap water

You are quite welcome! ;)

And yes, there are a whole host of bacterias, amoebas and pathogens that may be tolerated just fine in our intestinal tracts but have the potential to be quite harmful and in rare cases deadly in our respiratory tracts...best not to chance a meeting with any if possible.

You are quite welcome! ;)

And yes, there are a whole host of bacterias, amoebas and pathogens that may be tolerated just fine in our intestinal tracts but have the potential to be quite harmful and in rare cases deadly in our respiratory tracts...best not to chance a meeting with any if possible.

I'm going to keep this to show DH. For years he has used tap water (when we travel or cruise) for his CPAP. Very good info!

After our steward introduces him/herself, the first thing DH asks for is an extension cord. From now on, he will also be getting distilled water. ;)

Last year when we were on Volendam, DH had only been using CPAP for 3 weeks, so obviously we were trying to do everything right. Called ship's services and ordered the distilled water ($4/bottle) and it was waiting for us when we got on board. Steward brough lo-o-ong extension cord, and taped it to the wall so we wouldn't trip over it.

All very easy and peace of mind to know we were doing everything right.

The water on board is not what is meant when we use the term "tap water." It is produced by the reverse osmosis method and is much better than the typical municipal tap water supply.

I've used the water "out of the tap" on all my cruises with no adverse effects.

If your cruise is to the Caribbean, it might be humid enough without the water reservoir. The first time I used mine on a Caribbean cruise, I had terrible rain out. I didn't use the humidifier the next night (or subsequent nights) and was just fine because the ambient humidity was so much higher than here in the dusty desert.

Robin

And an extension cord.

Thanks for posting this, SO TRUE!!!!! Don't ever use tap water!!!!

We have never had a problem getting distilled water on Hal ships. Well worth a few $$!!! Be safe.

Was wondering about any who experience sleep apnea

and must wear their CPAP thru the night, if yours uses distilled

water for humidity purposes, HOW you manage, and how you pack the water.

Any tips? Around here they only sell it by the gallon.

Just an aside, my DH had the CPAP machine, and we dragged it around everywhere (along with the distilled water, BTW, great info about that Shuttlebuggy!). How he hated that machine, and the noise was just ungodly to be in the room with for me, it really disturbed my sleep. He now has something called "Silent Nite", it's a hard clear plastic mouth guard made by his dentist that repositions things so he no longer needs the CPAP. They made molds of his mouth and had a couple of fittings.... fits in your hand, he's very happy with it, YMMV.

Here is a link for it, I have no affiliation with the product, just happy with his results and one less bag to lug:

http://www.endsnore.com/silent-nite-snoring-prevention-device.aspx

How Silent Nite Slide-Link prevents snoring?

Silent Nite sl is a custom-fabricated dental device that moves the lower jaw into a forward position, increasing space in the airway tube and reducing air velocity and soft tissue vibration. Special connectors are attached to transparent flexible upper and lower forms. The forms are custom laminated with heat and pressure to the dentist's model of the mouth. The fit is excellent and comfortable, permitting small movements of the jaw (TMJ) and allowing uninhibited oral breathing.

I had the Silent Night mouth guard and wore it when I had my sleep study and was still found to have severe sleep apnea needing a CPAP. I take my CPAP with me whenever I travel with no problems. When I cruise, I leave the water reservoir at home and have never found that I missed it. If you don't have that option, many are made so that you can turn off the heating element and run it without the water.

I usually carry my own extension cord, plug the machine in at night and unplug it in the morning and curl the extension cord up under the bed so that it isn't in the way during the day.

Fortunately, most of the newer machines are made so that they don't need a voltage converter and they are quiet enough so that they don't disturb your partner. If they make enough noise to disturb someone else in the room, the motor is probably wearing out and needs being replaced.

Debbie

• 2 months later...

And an extension cord.

I never cease to be astonished at what I learn on CC. I have used a cpap apparatus for some 6 years now. I always use distilled water at home but just tap water when on the road. (It's never occurred to me to forgo water altogether.) No more tap water from here on out.

Incidentally, I use what is techically referred to as an "auto-pap," which automatically adjusts the degree of pressure to my sleeptime breathing. It works well -- and is very quiet. I've also found, after much experimentation, that instead of a mask that fits over my nose or my nose and mouth, a so-called nasal pillow, which just covers the nostrils, is more suitable for me. All in all, I figure the contraption is adding a good 10-15 years to our marriage!;)

And my Otolaryngologist (ear, nose, and throat) is an MD who told me, over a dozen years ago, that using tap water for short periods (up to a month) wa not a problem.

Add to that the info tat the "tap" water on a ship is, essenrtially, sterile and the FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) of the pevious post is apparent.

No, you should not use tap water at home for extended periods. But that's an entirely different set of circumstances from a week to 3 on a ship.

Archived