What does "full deposit" mean

Suzieanna

I am confused - doesnt the term "deposit" mean "putting down part payment" - so, what is a "full deposit". Am I right in thinking it means the full and total cost of the whole trip - ie "final payment"? Can anyone clarify

Thanks in advance.

Full deposit generally means the regular deposit amount as stated in the brochure or website. Many cruiselines use a percentage of the fare to determine the deposit amount. A reduced deposit is a special promotion, say $100, which is often far less than the regular deposit amount. It does not matter to most people, unless they have to cancel and are penalized the full deposit amount after final payment.

thanks cherylandtk!

My confusion is because the price of my trip looks like it has dropped, and I havent paid the final balance yet. So, I am wondering about phoning to ask if I am eligible for the "new" (cheaper) price, or do I still have to pay the price that was quoted when I paid my deposit. Lots of cruise sites say they will give you a reduction if a cheaper price is advertised within 48 hours of paying your "full deposit". If this is the case, then I assume I am not eligible - as I did pay a regular deposit - but then doesnt everybody?

I am confused - doesnt the term "deposit" mean "putting down part payment" - so, what is a "full deposit". Am I right in thinking it means the full and total cost of the whole trip - ie "final payment"? Can anyone clarify

Thanks in advance.

Also, if you are booked into a group it may have been set up to have an initial partial deposit (say $25 per person) that has to be brought up to the full deposit amount (say $250) at a specified date.

It seems that us people who are in the UK are not eligible to any price reduction, OBC or upgrade to a "better" room in the event of a price drop.... So, I have learned a lesson. Either be prepared to "suck it up" and pay the higher price to get the room I want, or take a chance that the price will drop and the room I want is still available!! of course, then I have to pay through the nose for my flights. Its a no win situation for us Brits.

A lot of lines on occasion offer a "special" of a reduced deposit. In fact, we just booked a cruise and the normal deposit is $400 pp. They are offering a 50% reduced deposit "special". Personally, I don't think it's any big deal, as when our final payment is due, it's going to be $200 more than it would have been if we had to pay the "normal" or "full" deposit now. But for some, I guess being able to pay less now, and put away a few extra bucks a week until the final payment is due is more attractive.

Archived