5 passenger cabin for Alaska 2012 summer

Dams

Newbie here, never been on any cruise before. Planning an alaska cruise with family this summer (? 2012 July preferably). We have 2 children (11 & 13) and 3 adults in our group. 3rd adult is my mother who is in her late sixties and does not speak fluent English. We are not the partying type, just want to relax and watch/sightsee on ocean and in Alaska. View is a must, so definitely want a balcony. Also want to eat on our own schedule, not crazy about formal attire (dress up). We all would like to be in 1 cabin/mini suite preferably.

I have a few questions.

1). Norwegian seems to be the best for us. Or do other lines also have some buffet type areas where we can walk in any time to eat in casual clothes.

2)Is now too late for booking Alaska for this July/summer, esp if we are limited to NCL? Can we still get some good cabins or we will be left with the undesirable rooms no one wants

3). How do we book for 5 persons? Most of the cabins/mini suites or even suites (when i checked online) say up to 4 persons but 5th person appears to be difficult. But some sites (thru cruisecritic) are calculating charges for the 5th person too in the total cabin price. In this case, will they bring a 5th makeshift bed each night and is there space for the 5th bed?

We do not mind being a little away from the activities but would like to be away from noisy areas.

thanks

ships that are cruising Alaska-- you will have to book 2 cabins.

Maybe a balcony and an inside across the hall.

Cruise ships are not like hotels they can only accommodate up to 4 people. (maximum)

We have sailed with 5 to an inside cabin and let me tell you they are very small.

Carnival has some of the bigger cabins at 185 square feet.

You want to check the size of the cabins on Norwegian- I found them way too small at 124 sq feet.

with 3 adults - one bathroom-- that will be a mighty long cruise.

--

i think all cruiselines are more relaxed with the dress codes. I mean you cant wear cut offs and flip flops. (why would you want to even-- its part of the cruise experience

where are you considered looking at cruising from>?

I am on the East coast- airfare to Vancover was VERY high- some weeks were more pricey then the cruise itself.

I then looked at airfare to Seattle and decided that is that way I want to go.

cruising from Vancouver you all will need a passport- cruising round trip from Seattle you only need birth certificates and state issued ID. (could be costly for 5 people to get passports.

Carnival Spirit goes out of Seattle- they have a balcony cabin that connects to an inside cabin=- these are located on the forward of the ship - one combo on each side from deck 5 up.

Even on the ships that do accomadate the 5th person-- the only way to get a price is call an agent.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will check Carnival too. I will look into booking a balcony and an inside room , if available at this stage or may be call an agent. Anyone you recommend?

Also, I have seen somewhere they have connecting adjacent staterooms too. Do all cruise lines have them?

We are in WV, so will be flying to Seattle. Have a cousin in Portland, may be drive there for a quick brief visit if we reach Seattle the day prior to boarding day. We all have passports, though I have to check their expiration dates.

Consider Holland America (HAL). Book two cabins as previous poster suggested - book your mom and the two kids in one of the inside cabins with you and DH across the hall. HAL is offering third and fourth passengers fare free or for a very minimal cost (taxes for 3rd and 4th would still be required). HAL does not have cabins large enough for five people, and I believe there are only a handful of cruiselines that do, so your search would be tough for five people in one cabin. Besides, as previously noted - you'll sure as heck need another bathroom and more space for 5 people. We sailed to AK last year with three in our cabin. It worked out just fine - we had a "system" about bathroom use, and designated specific drawers and closet space for each person. But throw two more people into the mix - and trust me, it wouldn't be pleasant. Go with two cabins for sure - you'll all be much happier!:D

BTW - HAL has casual dining in the Lido buffet - its where we choose to eat all our meals particularly when sailing Alaska - very port intensive and long, long days ashore, the last thing I want to do is dress up for a meal! You can eat in the MDR on smart casual nights wearing jeans, they are not prohibited, just don't do it on formal night or the "fashion police" will hunt you down ;)! HALL also offers 24 hour free room service (tip the server a few bucks) if you just want something delivered to your cabin. You can even order room service off the MDR menu each evening if you'd like.

One other option is the Royal Family Suites on the Radiance class ships. They are great rooms that hold up to 8 (need 5 minimum to book) You need to call RCL directly or a TA to get pricing on these rooms.

Great Aft location with large corner balcony

We are in WV, so will be flying to Seattle. Have a cousin in Portland, may be drive there for a quick brief visit if we reach Seattle the day prior to boarding day. We all have passports, though I have to check their expiration dates.

You will want to fly down at LEAST the day before- there is a huge time zone change for us east coaster people. - you do not want to be tired on a cruise.

AGo down early and get acclimated to the time.

Archived