Just reserved Enterprise cars for Galveston

alleghator

I'd been reading about people getting great one-way rental rates from Houston IAH to Galveston and back, but hadn't reached any cooperative staff at either rental office (the toll-free number attendants said that any special pricing would have to be handled at local rental offices).

Finally today I managed to reserve two one-way minivan rentals at prices I find reasonable (there are four of us traveling together, plus luggage). Prices including taxes, fees, etc and minus our 20% off Entertainment Book coupon came to $90 from IAH to Galveston and $110 from Galveston back to IAH after the cruise.

Previous calls had resulted in quoted $130 rates each way.

Considering that shuttles were running in the $60 per person area, we're pretty happy. Plus, we'll have the added convenience of having our own transportation without waiting for other people to pick us up or fill a shuttle bus.

And, the clerk at the IAH office said that prices frequently drop as time goes on, so I'll be checking back on that every couple of months (our cruise is in January 2006).

Just wanted to pass on the info. Call the offices directly and give it a try. Enterprise IAH 281-230-8200, Enterprise Galveston 409-740-0070

--Heidi

From my experience renting in Tampa, post-cruise, to go to WDW, we had more than enough room for 4 people and luggage in a 4 door mid-size. My TA kept insisting that we needed a minivan, but when I looked at rates, the prices really jumped up when you get to a premium car, mini-van, or SUV. So, we took a chance with the mid-size and had more than enough room.

And, I do agree with checking those prices and looking for additional discounts. If you book early, you'll at least be locked into those prices (in case they go up), but you can always make adjustments if you find an additional discount or deal. My friends waited until they arrived at the rental car office......bad move; no deal that way!:(

The last time we cruised, we packed a large suitcase each, a shared garment bag and an assortment of carryons. Filled most of the trunk of our car. So, I figure my parents will have roughly the same arrangement (or more...they're first-time cruisers, so are more likely to overpack). I don't think 4 large suitcases, two garment bags and several carry-ons will fit in the trunk of a sedan.

And ... we want to be comfortable as the airport is a good hour and a half from the seaport.

--Heidi

FYI you can buy shuttle tickets on the ship for the return to the airport. It is $30 per person one way because you are about 70 miles from the port and it will take about 1 1/2 hour min to get to the port. They take all your luggage use great buses and you don't pay for the gas. Those on shuttles were loaded immediately and were on the road in no time. So you could save on the return trip considering the price of gas.

The last time we cruised, we packed a large suitcase each, a shared garment bag and an assortment of carryons. Filled most of the trunk of our car. So, I figure my parents will have roughly the same arrangement (or more...they're first-time cruisers, so are more likely to overpack). I don't think 4 large suitcases, two garment bags and several carry-ons will fit in the trunk of a sedan.

And ... we want to be comfortable as the airport is a good hour and a half from the seaport.

--Heidi

Better safe than sorry, especially since you are traveling with your parents. We had 2 teens in the back, and were willing to put stuff back there with them, if needed. We didn't have to..........Have a great time!:)

if you are staying in Galveston the night before the cruise you might see if your hotel offers shuttle services from the airport and to the sea port. Several do I think its the Holiday Inn and the Tremont offer pickup at the airport.:o

We're staying at the Ramada on the Seawall the night before the cruise. We'll return the car to Enterprise and then they'll shuttle us to the port. The whole "Enterprise ... we'll pick you up" thing.

--Heidi

Yes, those prices I quoted in my original post include drop off fees. I beleive it's $40 each way. I also looked into renting the car for the whole week and just paying for parking, but the two drop fees were much less than keeping the car.

It took several calls to get this rate ... and I'm going to call back once a month or so to see if the rates have gone down at all.

--Heidi

Archived