Capri or Amalfi/Ravello from Salerno?

sunlover757

Our ship docks in Salerno and we're trying to decide whether to go to Capri or tour Amalfi & Ravello for the day. We've been to Sorrento and Positano several times and they're two of our favorite places in the world, but we have never gotten as far as Amalfi and Ravello due to time constraints from Naples since we were also touring Pompeii. We've also never visited Capri. Any insights and suggestions?

Both are great choices and easy to do yourself. If you are interested in tours hopefully someone else will pipe in.

If you like Positano chances are you will also like Amalfi. I prefer Amalfi, my daughter Positano. You can take the ferry from Salerno to Amalfi and then the bus up to Ravello. If you have time you can walk down from Ravello to Amalfi -- takes about an hour. I don't know where the ship docks in Salerno because we did the Amalfi Coast as a non-cruise trip.

To go to Capri you probably have to take the hydrofoil from Salerno (or Amalfi if you decide to do both, which I do not recommend) to Sorrento and then to Capri. Of all the places mentioned Capri is my favorite.

Whichever you chose to do I think you will have a wonderful day.

Private tours are easy from Salerno. Last year we had a tour planned with Romeinlimo and they changed the Solstice (or so the rumors were) from Naples to Salerno, and they were going to pick us up for our Ravello/Amalfi tour from either port. In fact it was so confusing as to where we were going to port that Jany at Romeinlimo said that they would find out exactly where we would dock and we would have our driver at the right port. It's very easy from either port.

Good luck!

hylasgirl - that sounds interesting. We've used Romeinlimo before and they are fabulous. From Salerno, did you spend your entire day in Ravello & Amalfi? What did you enjoy most? I'd love to hear more about your experiences whenever you have a chance. Thanks for your help!

hylasgirl - that sounds interesting. We've used Romeinlimo before and they are fabulous. From Salerno, did you spend your entire day in Ravello & Amalfi? What did you enjoy most? I'd love to hear more about your experiences whenever you have a chance. Thanks for your help!

Hi! We spent most of our time in Ravello and Amalfi. Then on our way into Sorrento we wanted to stop at this pottery place.... a place where they make concrete/ceramic furniture. I know I have to find the same place in May when I go with my friends. MAN!!! do I wish I had the money to buy some of this outdoor furniture. It was just amazing. And we wanted to stop there... the driver didn't advise us to go, or just stop there on his own (something I hate with some tour companies). Then we went into Sorrento and wandered around. I just love Sorrento. This year we are bypassing Sorrento and visiting Herculaneum. I enjoyed the time in Ravello and Amalfi so much last year that I am making my husband see it all this year. The views are amazing and these little towns are so charming.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

The CITA bus can get your from Ravello back to Salerno, but it will be a long ride. The fastest way would be by taxi. The hydrofoil will be fast too, but it depends on weather and your budget.

If you love Positano, you'll love Ravello. We loved Ravello. It has that quaintness of Positano, but its more an authentic town where people are living-laundry right in the middle of the square, etc...but so charming. The artchitecture is very different-so interesting, with an almost Arab flare to it. Best art galleries I saw in all of Italy too.

Capri is a breath of fresh air. Its very different from Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. The food on Capri was the best we'd eaten in Italy. If I had to choose one only, I'd do Capri. You could do both, but it will be a very early day, fast moving and expensive. I wouldn't do it. But to me, the joy of Italy is sitting in a cafe taking a long long lunch and watching people. Rushing isn't worth it.

Either way, have a wonderful time!

Is it easy to get to Capri on your own from Salerno? We are docking there as well this summer from 7-7pm and want to go to Capri on our own but am worried about time constraints. Is it realistic? Or should we just visit Postiano for the day?

You are much farther away when you dock in Salerno; the ferry ride from there to Capri takes more than two hours and, at least according to the current schedule, there's only one ferry over in the morning at 8:40 AM (arrives at 10:50).

The one return at the end of the day is probably too late to get back to your ship, so you'd probably need to do a two-step return by going from Capri to Amalfi, then Amalfi to Salerno.

You can see the current schedules here: http://www.capritourism.com/imgg/download/collegamenti_marittimi_capri_orario.pdf, but I assume that there will be more boats added during the high season.

You are much farther away when you dock in Salerno; the ferry ride from there to Capri takes more than two hours and, at least according to the current schedule, there's only one ferry over in the morning at 8:40 AM (arrives at 10:50).

The one return at the end of the day is probably too late to get back to your ship, so you'd probably need to do a two-step return by going from Capri to Amalfi, then Amalfi to Salerno.

You can see the current schedules here: http://www.capritourism.com/imgg/download/collegamenti_marittimi_capri_orario.pdf, but I assume that there will be more boats added during the high season.

Hi Eurocruiser,

Isn't there be a hydrofol that takes only 70 minutes?

• 2 weeks later...
Is it easy to get to Capri on your own from Salerno? We are docking there as well this summer from 7-7pm and want to go to Capri on our own but am worried about time constraints. Is it realistic? Or should we just visit Postiano for the day?

Hi, I was wondering if you ever found out any more information about going to Capri from Salerno. My fiance and I plan to do this on our June cruise. We too will be in Salerno from 7am-7pm. I haven't found out yet if they will offer a Hydrofoil service in June from Salerno to Capri. This could be a deal breaker if I'd be able to make it back to the ship in time.

There is only one boat per day in each direction between Salerno and Capri.

In the morning the boat departs Salerno at 8:40 AM (arrives at Capri at 10:50). In the afternoon it departs Capri at 4:25 PM (arrives at Salerno at 6:40). The fare is Euro 37 round-trip.

You can see the schedule and purchase tickets on-line here: http://www.gescab.it/linee/DettaglioLinea.asp?idli=7 or here: http://www.alicost.it/content/?id=6

If the return time feels too tight for you, you could take an earlier boat back to Amalfi and take the SITA bus from there to Salerno.

Archived