Mariner Disappointment

geg

April 26, 2005

Food: the food was a dramatic disappointment. We rate the food at a three out of ten. The buffets were the quality of Bob Evans and Bonanza Steak house. The main dining room the only meal that was decent was the sit down breakfasts. The evening meals were the quality of a sub par resatrurant you would not visit again. The service was good, but the food was sub par. The only food that was what we considered food cruise worthy was the upscale restaurants Chops and Portofino. These restaurants coat an additional $20.00 per person per night. My recommendation to you is get a less expensive cabin and take the difference in dollars and go to these two restaurants every night!

I agree with this totally. I found the food to be almost like hospital food it was so bland. I wouldn't eat the sausage because it wasn't thoroughly cooked. But the up side is you don't overeat and gain a ton of weight! :D

Personal Services; The Mariner of the Seas does not offer what we consider cruise types services. For example our shower was back-up for two days, it took 72 hours for a technician to arrive. Our suite steward never came to our room to meet us. We requested new towels three times during the week, each time we were told the laundry room was backed up. We used the same pool towels and bath towels for three days straight. At dinner one night my wife did not like the choices; she requested a simple shrimp cocktail and prime rib, but was told this was impossible, she must stay with the menu or go to the buffet.

Sounds like you had terrible cabin steward and dinner waiters. I've been there. On one of our trips the cabin steward left a wet towel on our bed. And I had a waiter deny me seconds on an entree at main dinner seating -- I understood that because we were at 6pm seating and I knew they wanted us out of there. I'm one of those people who is intimidated about complaining, so I just rolled with it. I've also had GREAT cabin attendants and waiters and they were tipped accordingly. Unfortunately, not every person serving is the most helpful or the friendliest. That's not helpful, but that's just the luck of the draw, as with anything.

I'm sorry poor service put a damper on your trip. I still love the Voyager-class ships and will love Freedom and Genesis classes even more. Overall, I've had a wonderful time and will sail RCI many times in the future.

Off topic, but this board is a day at Labadee compared to some British royalty/Charles-Duchess of Cornwall/Pr William-Kate Middleton boards I read. :eek: :eek: :eek: I haven't seen anything here that approaches the spite and derision in those viper pits.:D :D

Archived