Pricing...

So how do you know if you really are getting a good price, or just an average price. We are not cruising until Aug 2006, but made a downpayment this past weekend.

The only other cruise we were on was a RC in Aug 2003, a 4 night one but my parents paid for that one.

This time we are going on the Carnival Valor. we are a family of 5, and a one income family. When we go in Aug 2006 my kids will be 12, 7 and 2.

I looked at the price of suites and the price of 2 interior rooms, we went with the 2 rooms as the price was cheaper. Weare using a local travel agent who really seems to know his stuff, he only deals with cruises. And, I have been up and down a tremendous amt of cruise websites.

Ok, the price for us, we are going on a 7 night western Carribean on Carnival Valor Aug 2006

We have a2 person room and a 3 person room on Deck7 Empress deck, with rooms side by side

Our price was $855(each) for 4 people and one price of 620$..As one room with have 2 people, the 2nd room will hold 3.

This price includes all taxes and port fees etc..Does this sound too much, or average?

Im still new at planning a cruise.

On an online web site ***** you can check prices for cruise pretty easily. I went there and put in Aug 2006 and your ship Carnival Valor and found prices for inside cabins to that run from a high of $899 per person for the 1st week of August to a low of $629 a person for the last week of August. The ship does two different itineraries, one Eastern and one Western Caribbean but both leave from Miami. The price for a third person in a room is usually around 1/2 of the price for the 1st and 2nd but that isn't always true. Some cruise lines and some CA's offer special deals for 3rd and 4th persons that can at times be as low as $199 a person.

If I was you I would also check Carnival's web site where they also sell cruises directly and see what they would charge for the same cabins.

At least on the surface I don't think you got robbed by your local TA but I also don't think he gave you the best possible deal that you might have gotten via the Internet.

IMHO

Have a great next cruise.

If you check a few newspaper ads and a few travel websites for cruise discounters, you should get a pretty good idea of what a good price would be for your cruise. There usually are no sharp discounts until about 60 days before sailing, and the discounts aren't always that great then. I agree that you can probably do a little better, but you're not being raked over the coals, either. You didn't mention whether you have an inside or outside cabin, with or without balcony. All of that will affect the price. For an inside cabin I always figure I'm doing okay if I can cruise for less than $100/day per person.

days before sailing, and the discounts aren't always that great then. I agree that you can probably do a little better, but you're not being raked over the coals, either. You didn't mention whether you have an inside or outside cabin, with or without balcony. All of that will affect the price. For an inside cabin I always figure I'm doing okay if I can cruise for less than $100/day per person.

How can you agree with someone saying that this person could have done better with pricing and then admit that you have no idea what type of cabin they have booked?

The original poster states that they booked 2 interior cabins since the price was less than the suite. It seems to me that the 3rd and 4th person rates should be lower than what is stated. If they are happy with that price, so be it. Personally, I would shop around some more. They have more than a full year till the actual cruise date.

We have also found that 2 cabins are almost always cheaper than a family suite. Your deal doesn't sound that bad . The problem is you have 3 kids so you can't have just one cabin on most ships. Yes 3rd and fourth persons are usually very cheap(but not in suites) but that is in one cabin- since you have two cabins, 4 of you are paying first and second passenger rates.. Anyway if you like cruising when you are on the ship see if they have a pre-booking program. Princess has this- you put down $100pp adults and it is good as a deposit for 4 years on any new cruise- you also get shipboard credit and you can use any travel agent to pick up the reservation and get any other deal or promotion being offered for that cruise. Example: last summer on the Star Princess in the Med. we put !00 pp down- Then last November we went to a cruise show that had a special deal of $100 pp off and we did not have to put any more money that the 100$ that we had paid on the ship last summer. We just paid our final payment for the Sea Princess to Norway in June and we still have our shipboard credit of $200. It sounds confusing but it's not really and it all depends onwhat type of cabin you want also. We used to do insides but as we got older and went to more exotic locales we like the outsides and balconies. I hope that you enjoy your trip- when my kids were little they loved the ships and they still do! 23 cruises and hoping for more!

• 4 weeks later...

A way to check is to try *****.com put in all your information what you are looking for-- youwill get a few bids for your travel. there is no obligations and you cann how much other agencies are charging.

August is premium cruising time- also-please note it is hurricane season. Allow for changes of ports etc..just in case so there is no dissappointment.

Archived