my four days in costa maya

we were out on aft balcony room 7652 as we approached the pier. we did not feel or hear the contact. we did wonder why everyone on the jewel were looking and pointing at our ship. we found on soon after when we departed for majuhaul.

we took to shuttle bus to the fishing village (3.00) person and were walking to tapas. just before we got to tapas a waiter from el mexicana bar came out and asked us to check out his tables and lounges. i was ready to brush him off when he said bucket of beer for 10.00 (six sol's or dos equis). thats all i needed to hear and we grabbed a table for myself and son and a couple of lounge chairs for my wife and daughter. the beach at majuahal is very nice with some of the nicest water you will find in the caribbean. we had a great afternoon there with my wife and daughter both getting the 20.00 massage for thirty minutes. they both loved it.

the only bad part about weds port day was the constant solicitation along the whole beach by vendors trying to sell beads, cigars, hot chips etc. after a firm "no gracias" they left you alone.

thursday, friday and saturday were a different story. with no "scheduled" cruise ships all these vendors disappeared as many of them live far away and have other jobs (juan our waiter on weds only works cruise ship days) we were left with a beautiful beach and no crowd at all. we received fantastic service from nesto at the el mexicana bar. nesto speaks little to no english and my 14 year old son had a great time ordering for us in spanish. heck by saturday i had learned enough spanish to eat and drink just about anything.

seems like alot of people didnt bother to go to majuahal once the casta maya port shopping area closed until saturday, probably because they got bored on the ship. we saw the same folks at el mexicana on thursday friday and saturday and we all chatted with each other like we discovered a slice of paradise.

food - guacamole, tacos were excellent. my son loved the burritos but i thought they were not worth it. the grilled shrimp was butterflied and was just fantastic. saturday the owner made up a special plate for us with fresh conch and baracuda.

all in all not a bad place to be stuck :)

I think I ran into you that last day in Mahujal (sp?). Me and my girlfriend (i had the Sox hat on) had taken the short taxi ride over to the fishing village, snorkeled for $20 and just hung out at the beach all day...spending most of our time at La Mexicana. We had a blast that day and hated that we didnt make it to the fishing village until that Saturday. Ill re-iterate what you said about the people, they were fantastic to us and we are looking at going back just to Costa Maya.

I hope you and your family made it back safely, we had a blast in New Orleans for a day and got back last night.

See ya again possibly on RCL!

Archived