Roll Calls/M & Greets Do You Take Part

Cptn Des...my "Navy Boy" is in Rockingham hope you are looking after him! LOL

For everyone else...I hope that we have convinced more of you to join in your roll calls..it really does add to the fun, the vast majority of people could not care less what category you sail in..we share a love of cruising and being on the sea.

There is something special about cruising that I have never experienced on any other holiday..its like you cast off all your troubles and stress as you leave the dock. There is only one downside to cruising imo...that is the post cruise blues .."how soon until I can do this again".

Sue

Thied

we are well off and can aford to cruise in suites and mini suites, but some people take afence to that fact,

I don't believe that others here take offence to the fact that you are well off and can aford to cruise in suites and mini suites

Perhaps it may be because you keep on telling them this??? We also could cruise in suites/minisuites - but we choose not to. I am happy to hear where people are accomodated onboard - when I ask them. But I am not happy for people to tell me that they are in a suite - when I haven't asked them. :) There is a slight distinction there between those two situations.

Barry

Very well said Barry. I would sooner hear somebody say that we got upgraded to a suite. I personally wouldn't want to spend the extra money on a suite when you get to go on the same cruise as everybody else, and eat the same food.

Many people on here talk about only having a inside cabin and they are very happy. It is what you make of the trip. At the end of the day you don't spend a huge about of time in the cabin, mainly just to sleep.

CeeJay, be my guest, it's not copyright :).

SANDY, " Have you joined a roll call - or is there one for your cruise?"...

Yes there is one for the Voyager Nov 5th Freo - Sydney, and we have signed up for the M&M.

Can't wait and counting the days ;)

Oh good. I hope it is an active one. BTW that's a great countdown ticker you have. :)

Stay tuned for a mega union in October 2013 to PNG :D I'm working on it! :p

The memories and seeing those photos of the Masquerade Sailaway.......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Yes Sue, it was my first cruise this time around......pretty brave trekking up to Bangkok on my own and meeting up with a bunch of strangers from the internet :eek: LOL

Bunch of strangers!!!!...... we were all old mates by the time we finally met in person.....you were brave though i salute you:)...John agree's PNG is a great idea so will keep that month next year free...be great if familiar faces as well as new ones join in.......we are off on Pacific Sun next weekend i take it we can purchase fcc onboard:confused: cheers Shiona

.John agree's PNG is a great idea so will keep that month next year free...be great if familiar faces as well as new ones join in.......we are off on Pacific Sun next weekend i take it we can purchase fcc onboard:confused: cheers Shiona

Yep :D

Have the dates been released for the PNG cruises?

April 23

October next year is good for me! Keep the date free if you want to meet up with some "strangers" who might just become friends. Pass the word around.

Can you use FCC on P & O?

Sue

You should be able to use a P&O FCC, but I doubt you'd be able to use a Princess one

Thied

we are well off and can aford to cruise in suites and mini suites, but some people take afence to that fact,

I don't believe that others here take offence to the fact that you are well off and can aford to cruise in suites and mini suites

Perhaps it may be because you keep on telling them this??? We also could cruise in suites/minisuites - but we choose not to. I am happy to hear where people are accomodated onboard - when I ask them. But I am not happy for people to tell me that they are in a suite - when I haven't asked them. :) There is a slight distinction there between those two situations.

Barry

I would say you would have to try a suite to now what it is like sorry.:rolleyes:

Last year we booked a minisuite on the Pacific Dawn, and in my opinion it was nothing special. We got it for an extraordinarily good price, well after final payment for the cruise. We had only ever had outside cabins until this cruise, so we were pretty excited - until we entered our cabin. I wouldn't bother again, as the only real difference is a bit of extra floor space. The furniture was mismatched, the carpets were tired and threadbare and the bed was atrocious (it had wayward springs and other assorted lumps and bumps). We asked for a replacement or a matress topper, but none were available. It is the only time I have slept badly on a cruise. :( I guess this is all academic now, as the Dawn is in drydock. I hope they replace the beds!!

The suites and minisuite on P&O are not really worthy of the name. "Large Outside Cabin with Balcony" would be a more accurate cabin description. On other lines there are some significant benefits to booking a suite/minisuite. For example, you get a larger balcony (much, much, deeper), decent balcony furniture (like loungers and sidetables), private dining room, spa or bath in the bathroom, concierge service, etc. On P&O it is limited to floor space, priority boarding and a few other minor bits and bobs that I can live without. Of course, they are much cheaper than the suites on other lines. So I guess you get what you pay for (or don't).;)

I'm not having a go at P&O, as the price of a "mini suite" or "suite" is a fraction of the price you would pay on other lines like Princess, HAL or X. Anyhow, lesson learned, if I sail P&O again I'll be back with the plebs ;)

Cheers,

I would say you would have to try a suite to now what it is like sorry.:rolleyes:

Thied

I am not doubting how nice a Suite/mini-suite of a cruiseship is. I am certain that they are very nice - and I am also certain that many people enjoy them. I am also sure that we would enjoy one. BUT - we do not book one because we don't want to. We prefer to spend our money on other things and we think that the extra money spent on a suite can be better spent elsewhere. IF we did ever book one, nobody would ever know because we would not tell anyone. I consider telling things like this to strangers to be bragging - and I don't need to impress anybody here :)

Barry

I have never been to a meet and greet yet where someone has introduced themselves saying "Hi my name is..and I am in a mini suite, what are you in?" I guess if its that important to you put it on a T shirt and wear it round the ship...then people have ample warning they are probably about to meet a nutter.

Nobody cares......nobody should....:mad:

So for those of you who DO attend the M & G on the various ships, who do you think does it better? Or do you think the success of a M & G is mainly due to the efforts of those on the roll call?

Sue

I have never been to a meet and greet yet where someone has introduced themselves saying "Hi my name is..and I am in a mini suite, what are you in?" I guess if its that important to you put it on a T shirt and wear it round the ship...

So for those of you who DO attend the M & G on the various ships, who do you think does it better? Or do you think the success of a M & G is mainly due to the efforts of those on the roll call?

Sue

I agree

I have never been to a meet and greet yet where someone has introduced themselves saying "Hi my name is..and I am in a mini suite, what are you in?" I guess if its that important to you put it on a T shirt and wear it round the ship...then people have ample warning they are probably about to meet a nutter.

Nobody cares......nobody should....:mad:

Sue

Maybe they think they should have staff running around after them, and that everybody will know they are important - not.:D

People shouldn't brag online either that this is the way they always travel. It would be the same as saying when I fly, I will only fly business class, as cattle class isn't good enough. At the end of the day if you fly business class you still get to the same destination as cattle class passengers at the same time. I must admit I having flown business class 3 times, 1 was an upgrade and the other 2 times used points. It was nice, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pay the difference.

OK you lot can we please get back to the original question posted by Sue.

I think that the success of the M&M is certainly dependant largly on an active ant interesting roll coll where the M&M is promoted by its members.

RCL did a fantastic spread for ours but as i said it was spoiled by being rushed. So it is important for the M&M to be held at a suitable time & place that allows everyone to eventually be able to meet each other.

I cant comment on other ships.

It is also important to try an break the ice if you see someone by themselves who may be a bit shy.

Thanks for posing the question Sue - it certainly is a subject that needs comment and we hope that (in our case) RCL takes note.

Sounds like it might be a good idea to draw up a bit of an agenda if you think your M & G is going to be taken over by the cruise director..you can politely give him/her 5 minutes and then get on with your stuff.

We also took suggestions from the people at the meet and greet about things they would like which led to us scheduling very informative session about one of the ports that was new to us from a roll call member who travelled there regularly. Nothing like getting insider information from a local. Something to consider to help our new members get the most out of their cruise.

Sue

Archived