Roll Calls/M & Greets Do You Take Part

One of the things I really love about cruising is the anticipation of the coming cruise by exchanging information on the roll call and then onboard, meeting up for a sailaway party, getting to see the faces of the people from the roll call, doing a cabin crawl to check out the different accommodation, Meet & greets, gift exchanges...heck I love everything about it.

Do You? Are you a fan or dont you take part...if you love it tell us why, if you never join in...why?

Sue:confused:

One of the things I really love about cruising is the anticipation of the coming cruise by exchanging information on the roll call and then onboard, meeting up for a sailaway party, getting to see the faces of the people from the roll call, doing a cabin crawl to check out the different accommodation, Meet & greets, gift exchanges...heck I love everything about it.

Do You? Are you a fan or dont you take part...if you love it tell us why, if you never join in...why?

Well, it all depends...............:rolleyes: I like to join a roll call, sometimes, but I seem to choose the cruises not many others are going on, so haven't had one of those really active roll calls.

I/we attend only if there is not some one from the elite group here going to it. true fact

We try to participate and attend the meet & greets. We had a great time on NCL as one of the organisers was a Cruise Critic Admin Host, so they had great giveaways at the Meet & Greet. On the Celebrity Infinity one of the CC members had the penthouse and invited us all there for a great party.

However, sometimes we have felt a bit out of place & awkward when there are heaps of people that know each other and are immersed in their catch-ups. One roll call seemed to be between 3-4 people so after a couple of months of them talking to each other on the rollcall and not really acknowledging other people, I decided not to participate when on board. I will give them a go if I have enjoyed the communication beforehand.

Overall, we have met some lovely people and look forward to meeting lots more CC members on our Solstice Cruise in 2013.

Kerry :)

At first I was a bit unsure about going to a meet and great, but all the meet and greets have been good and great, so I like to join them now.

I have also like Sandielle not had much luck with active roll calls on a couple of the cruises when have done, and one of the cruises we did had a v e r y long roll call that had been going for months before we joined it (and we only join it a few days before we sailed (as we swapped ships as the ship we where meant to be going on was oversold!)

Is it because you won't actually be on the cruise ? lol

so well said, see its people like you is the reason why most people do not jion roll calls or go to meet and greets.:rolleyes:

now you have your bite that you have been looking for weeks.

Whats the problem Theid...all I am asking is for you to explain what you mean by elite? Perhaps others would like to know if they have made the grade...what an accolade to be thought of as "elite" by Theids exacting standards.

I am sorry if anyone feels left out of it either on a roll call or at a meet and greet..the cruises that I have enjoyed most have been the ones where the roll call was active...I have met some wonderful people who I am proud to be able to call friends and they were total strangers before we met on board. And I love to sail with first timers or help them plan their cruise...their excitement at their first cruise experience makes it all fresh and new for me too seeing it through their eyes. Cruising for me is the friendly holiday...sharing tables in the MDR is a great way to break the ice...or is it just me?

Sue

The cruise I am going on in October has over 300 on the roll call which I believe is like 10% of the cruise. Its a very active thread of over 161 pages. But is well managed by a lady who is keeping the spreadsheet.

I am sorry if anyone feels left out of it either on a roll call or at a meet and greet..the cruises that I have enjoyed most have been the ones where the roll call was active...I have met some wonderful people who I am proud to be able to call friends and they were total strangers before we met on board. And I love to sail with first timers or help them plan their cruise...their excitement at their first cruise experience makes it all fresh and new for me too seeing it through their eyes. Cruising for me is the friendly holiday...sharing tables in the MDR is a great way to break the ice...or is it just me?

Sue

That's true if you get friendly people who like getting to know each other. I met several great people on my Sun Princess cruise to NZ. Some of us met at Portside beforehand so we knew each other before boarding. It really makes a cruise.

I don't bother starting any more here as, unfortunately, they have a habit of going 'belly-up'!

Hi, I go to the meet and greets...have met some really nice people I still keep in contact with.. a lot I cruise again and again with.

some have been hilarious with games, prizes etc, and I am thankful to whoever organises them.

if you are travelling on your own, it's a good start to meet new friends.

there are some downsides to them though...firstly .the meets can be changed from one venue to another with very little notice. so you must read the Daily in case they have put notice there.

sometimes a lot of people say they will be there (like over 100,then few turn up )

kind regards, Lorraine :):)

Hi, I go to the meet and greets...have met some really nice people I still keep in contact with.. a lot I cruise again and again with.

some have been hilarious with games, prizes etc, and I am thankful to whoever organises them.

if you are travelling on your own, it's a good start to meet new friends.

there are some downsides to them though...firstly .the meets can be changed from one venue to another with very little notice. so you must read the Daily in case they have put notice there.

sometimes a lot of people say they will be there (like over 100,then few turn up )

kind regards, Lorraine :):)

LOL, that's where I met you Lorraine. :) Even though we've only had small turnouts (except for Sun P) the nicest people have attended. Quality, if not quantity!

Well, it all depends...............:rolleyes: I like to join a roll call, sometimes, but I seem to choose the cruises not many others are going on, so haven't had one of those really active roll calls.

I guess you really need to have 2, one for the actual cruisers and one for the virtual cruisers. :rolleyes:

LOL, that's where I met you Lorraine. :) Even though we've only had small turnouts (except for Sun P) the nicest people have attended. Quality, if not quantity!

Ahh yes, I remember it well.

we have similar interests too...genealogy being one...amazing what one can find through indexes etc...

kind regards, Lorraine.:):)

OK folks, play nice. We lost the G'day Mate forum for less and I will be pretty upset with you lot if we lose this one as well. I used love logging in to Cruise Critic and corresponding with like minded folk, or just lurking and reading the responses to the many interesting queries and comments people make/have. However, I reckon the recent escalation of telling tall tales, childish name calling, and petty bickering has gotten out of hand. It is really quite immature and unnecessary. Get over it.

Over the years, I have gotten used to some of the unique characters on this site. Some I agree with, others I don't, some I find irritating, others amusing (some wise even). Life is like that, full of different and interesting characters. It's OK not to agree with everything, healthy discussion is informative and educational. Bickering and name calling is not. If you can't control your attitude or your tongue then use the ignore button. Don't any of you recall the sage advice "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"?

We haven't been presenting ourselves very well to newcomers to CC, have we? I can only imagine that newbies who enter this forum - with no history or understanding of the characters who inhabit it - witness the appalling behaviour, name calling and be really put off by it.

Lets just get back to the topic, please ...

I didn't participate actively in my first roll call (Volendam, 2010). I introduced myself, but mostly lurked, and so I chose not to attend my first M&G. To be honest I was hesitant to "identify" myself to people I had met only online, I saw it as a cybersafety issue. I also wanted to avoid what I thought would be for me an awkward meeting of semi-strangers.

I have participated more actively in CC over the last few years, and been on more frequent cruises, and now I feel that I had developed more "friendly" relationships with my fellow roll call CCers. On the next cruise (Volendam 2011) I wanted to meet these people I had been chatting to and planning with. And I am glad I did, as I have met some really terrific CCers, like Rugbyp and Aussiedisneyfan. For me, putting a face to the name adds a new dimension to Cruise Critic, and makes it more than just a cruising forum. It makes it a community. Now, I am disappointed if the roll call is slow or unresponsive - what a turnaround.:)

Cheers,

I always joing the roll call & go to the meet & greet. On out first cuise we had 6 CCers on the roll call which at the time was a decent size roll call. It was great to meet up and there was one couple that we became good friends with, ended up doing 2 more cruises with them and are still in contact with. Our PD maiden voyage cruise was a great roll call and our Samoan cruise 3 years ago was FANTASTIC. I organised a day tour in Apia for that cruise and I think there was about 90 of us that did it(with families/friends etc). Unfortunately, our last cruise, when we did the B2B on Jewel, the roll call/s were non existant:(. And that was our first school holiday cruise.

I always joing the roll call & go to the meet & greet. On out first cuise we had 6 CCers on the roll call which at the time was a decent size roll call. It was great to meet up and there was one couple that we became good friends with, ended up doing 2 more cruises with them and are still in contact with. Our PD maiden voyage cruise was a great roll call and our Samoan cruise 3 years ago was FANTASTIC. I organised a day tour in Apia for that cruise and I think there was about 90 of us that did it(with families/friends etc). Unfortunately, our last cruise, when we did the B2B on Jewel, the roll call/s were non existant:(. And that was our first school holiday cruise.
We are the same with people we have met on cruises and still cruise with them.

I find that the pre-cruise roll call is equally as enjoyable as the cruise. The preparation and research of group tours has become one of my favourite pastimes. I also like to get to know my shipmates before the M&G and private tour days.

A busy/chatty roll call is a wonderful boost:D.

I have mostly found CC M&G's to be a bit of a "fizzer" - except on one occasion where a number of participants did privately organised shore tours together. That was really good and we have retained a number of friends from it.

Barry

Archived