Stingray Sandbar?

Tahmay

This may seem like a really dumb/silly question, but I am a little bit apprehensive about booking the Deluxe Stingray City Sandbar in Grand Cayman.

It looks like so much fun, and everyone talks about how great it is, but I was actually on a cruise when I heard the news that Steve Irwin died by a sting ray ramming its barb into his chest, and it makes me a bit uneasy being around and handling all of those sting rays?

Am I right in being wary of this, or is it perfectly safe?

We did this excursion two years ago and absolutely loved it. There were many boats with lots of passengers out there. The string rays are very used to people as this goes on everyday. Slide your feet when you walk and you will be fine. It was a fantastic experience:D

We did this excursion two years ago and absolutely loved it. There were many boats with lots of passengers out there. The string rays are very used to people as this goes on everyday. Slide your feet when you walk and you will be fine. It was a fantastic experience:D

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast and do a fair amt of wade fishing.

The most important thing to remember is to walk slowly and shuffle your feet.

Sometimes this is not enough as the little buggers will wiggle themselves into a hole and will feel like the surrounding bottom.

So pay attention and use your toes to explore before committing to the step.

OBTW... there is no way that I would pay to "befriend" these potentially dangerous animals.

Esp the really huge ones made aggressive by years of hand feeding.

Just my opinion....

mimi

Steve Irwin was in another part of the country dealing with other species of stingray that weren't accustomed to humans. the Cayman Stingrays are like pets. Whe they see the boats pulling up, you can literally see them flocking to the sandbar cause the know it's dinner time. It's kinda creepy at first just because they look so intimidating but it's an awesome experience and I highly recommend it!!

I did tons of reading before I booked this excursion. The kind of stingray that killed Steve Irwin was different than these. Also, he encounterd one in the wild that was not used to being around humans and it felt threatened, these sting rays are used to being around people. Yes, these are still "wild" animals, but they might as well be considered domesticated with being fed and having human interaction almost daily, but I would compare them to snakes or other non domesticated animals. Would I hold a snake that was used to being held, absolutly! Would I pick up a snake that was truly wild, nope.

I did tons of reading before I booked this excursion. The kind of stingray that killed Steve Irwin was different than these. Also, he encounterd one in the wild that was not used to being around humans and it felt threatened, these sting rays are used to being around people. Yes, these are still "wild" animals, but they might as well be considered domesticated with being fed and having human interaction almost daily, but I would compare them to snakes or other non domesticated animals. Would I hold a snake that was used to being held, absolutly! Would I pick up a snake that was truly wild, nope.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. The guides know these animals and have names for them. They hold special places in their hearts for them. They are handled and fed daily so they are pretty much use to it. It's a little intimidating at first but you get use to them. After being there awhile you start to relax and realize how beautiful they are. My DD(10) and my Mom both we're anxious about this excursion. The stingray came right up on my DD's back, stomach, she held her and gave her a kiss for good luck. She still talks about this as being the best excursion and can't wait to go back.

We went to Stingray City for the 2nd time last week. It was the best excursion we have ever done. You may want to do book with an independent company. Less people and more attention for you. We booked with Nativeway for both excursions. Everyone had an opportunity to hold, kiss, feed, and get a back massage from a stingray.

Done the excursion twice, Captain Marvin and Native Way. I enjoyed both, had more fun with Native Way because the 8 in my group got the boat to ourselves, so we weren't on a boat with 20 strangers like Capt. Marvins.

The guides will tell you what to do, and not do, to have a safe and enjoyable time with the stingrays.

Did Stingray City before Steve unfortunately died. It was a freak accident with a wild stingray. The stingrays we fed were old and exremely tame. Nothing to worry about, it was one of the best excursions I was ever on and I am a worry wort.

This may seem like a really dumb/silly question, but I am a little bit apprehensive about booking the Deluxe Stingray City Sandbar in Grand Cayman.

It looks like so much fun, and everyone talks about how great it is, but I was actually on a cruise when I heard the news that Steve Irwin died by a sting ray ramming its barb into his chest, and it makes me a bit uneasy being around and handling all of those sting rays?

Am I right in being wary of this, or is it perfectly safe?

You are overreacting, but somewhat understandable.

I was in Grand Cayman the day after Irwin died and there was a long line of people at the shore excursion wondering if they were going to be killed on the excursion.

The answer is NO. IMO, Steve Irwin was sometimes careless in his work and this was one of those times.

The kind of ray that killed Irwin was a bull ray and was wild. The kind of rays at the Sandbar are Southern Stingrays who have become accustomed to humans and especially free food. They are very tolerant and forgiving.

The Sandbar is one of the best "shore" excursions ever! You don't have to touch them if you don't want to but they may rub up against you trying to get some free food. At the sandbar they remind me more of a household pet and are very gentle. In the wild, they would avoid you. If you get to the location and don't want to get off of the boat nobody is going to make you and if you are in the water, you can get back on the boat anytime.

The stinger they have is purely defensive - they can't aim it - it is a reflex action.

Steve Irwin stepped on a stingray. And regardless of where you or the sting rays are, that (whipping tail around and inserting/projecting needle/spur in the thing that disturbed them) is their natural reaction.

No worries at the Sting Ray bar b/c they are looking for food and anticipating interaction with humans.

Steve Irwin stepped on a stingray. And regardless of where you or the sting rays are, that (whipping tail around and inserting/projecting needle/spur in the thing that disturbed them) is their natural reaction.

No worries at the Sting Ray bar b/c they are looking for food and anticipating interaction with humans.

Steve Irwin was diving off the side ofa boat, landed on a stingray he did not see, and the barb ran through his heart. No, the Stingray didn't aim, Yes the barb is reflexive, and NO he did not step on it, the stingray's barbs are not that long or big, even those bigger stingrays.

I have been to Stingray City twice, once while Scuba diving away from the shallow sand bar, and the second time on the sand bar with the cruise groups.

BOTH times we were told that they are so used to humans, they more than likely will not sting you even if you accidentally stepped on them, again, most likely will NOT sting you. BUT if you were to step on one, and IF it were to sting you, it would most likely get you in the calf or foot. Think of it like a scorpion tail, they don't shoot a barb, a barbed "tail" springs forward around from thier tail, and then springs right back, like a little stab. They don't have the reach to hit you in the heart from on the ground, let alone the gut...most likely the knee down.

That aside, you will have a blast with these docile creatures, they are actually very gentile, you may get an occasional smaller, more pushy one (male) but the larger ones are not so pushy (female). I remember getting knocked on my back while I was kneeling on the bottom in my scuba gear by a male, I had squid chunks in my hand and he dissapeard for a moment then BAM rammed my head knocking me over, it was pretty funny. As I fell I let go of the squid and he darted right for it and sucked it all up. very smart...

I would definatley DO IT, it is probably safer than a zipline in Jamaica!:cool:

I did one in the Bahamas that had "captive" stingrays. I put the quotes on there because when I went it was right after a hurricane and the fences they used to keep them in were washed away, so it was mainly tame stingrays and maybe a couple of wild ones there for the food. They were really really cool.

I can't wait to get to Cayman to see it. You would have to do a lot to agitate one to make it sting you - like stepping square on one's back, or maybe being too rough with one trying to lift it out of the water. They didn't care if we lifted them in the Bahamas, but if their face came out of the water they would flap a bit.

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast and do a fair amt of wade fishing.

The most important thing to remember is to walk slowly and shuffle your feet.

Sometimes this is not enough as the little buggers will wiggle themselves into a hole and will feel like the surrounding bottom.

So pay attention and use your toes to explore before committing to the step.

OBTW... there is no way that I would pay to "befriend" these potentially dangerous animals.

Esp the really huge ones made aggressive by years of hand feeding.

Just my opinion....

mimi

We've done this twice now and it has been awesome both times. We have used Capt. Marvin's and both times has been absolutely wonderful times and highly recommend them!!!

I did this excursion last week- it was AMAZING!!!!!!! Definitely one of the coolest things I have ever done in my entire life. I was completely at ease- I held one, kissed one, fed one and had one rubbed across my back. Amazing, won't ever forget it!!! Not to mention Grand Cayman has the most beautiful water of any place I have ever seen. Loved it, loved loved loved Grand Cayman. Dh says we are booking next cruise based on that port so it is a must!

Archived