What time will we be pass Vancouver Island?

4_Leaf_Clover

We are doing the Southbound cruise from Whittier to Vancouver leaving May 30th and are scheduled to arrive in Vancouver at 7:30am on June 6th.

I would love to be up and out as we pass by Vancouver Island so am wondering approx what time that will be and if it'll be light outside at that time? I am showing sunrise is at around 5:08am.

I'm hoping to scope out one of the resident orca pods :rolleyes:

We are doing the Southbound cruise from Whittier to Vancouver leaving May 30th and are scheduled to arrive in Vancouver at 7:30am on June 6th.

I would love to be up and out as we pass by Vancouver Island so am wondering approx what time that will be and if it'll be light outside at that time? I am showing sunrise is at around 5:08am.

Vancouver Island isn't a spec in the ocean, it's a mass of land about 50% bigger than Vermont (32,000 sq km vs 25,000 sq km) and larger than all of the Hawaiian island combined, with a population of 3/4 million.

It will take 6-7 hours to pass by it, however, it will be during the 8 hours prior to docking, so mostly at night.

Vancouver Island is 320 miles long. You should be passing the Island starting at 2PM on the 5th to docking. You will be passing Q!ueen Charlotte Island and other Islands, before vancouver Island and have a better chance of seeing Orcas.

I would devote myself to watching out for orkas if that is imaportant to me. I've spent many hours in Zodiaks watching for Orkas in that area. Have seen very little. Sea conditions can be rough which makes the orkas very difficult to see.

Ship personnel will be able to provide that info; check the day before.

Perhaps there will be a live map on your TV to follow your course.

I have taken many orca tours from Telegraph Cove near the north end of the island. On every trip we've seen members of the northern pods, so that would be a good spot to be watching. You're a little early for a salmon run and that's generally what drives their activity.

The southern pods are between Victoria and Washington State, usually around the San Juan Islands. Your ship won't be near that area.

(If you're flying out of Seattle and have an extra day, consider an orca tour from Anacortes.)

Your last sea day you will go inside Vancouver Island from afternoon, through early evening. There is NO SET time. I've sailed this exact itinerary several times, with hours differences. You are also back within sight of Vancouver over several hours as well, including back the night before, and stalled out, awaiting am for docking.

This is a very scenic area. I too have orca watched out of Telegraph Cove, as well as Port Hardy, for the same 3 northern resident pods. I have been on a few ships, that will also detour by Robson Bight- the "rubbing" rocks. IF you can get out on a boat tour with mics, it is exciting to hear. The three pods are completely separate and each have their own "call". I've heard them several times, along with the massage rubbing sounds. :) On the northern end of the island, it needs to be a multi day trip. I am there at least 4. Out of Victoria, stuff is a lot closer together, so an overnight is more doable with a orca whale watch priority.

The other highlight of Inside Vancouver Island sailing is Seymour Narrows. Putting a call into the bridge through the purser's desk, will get you the time. Even in the middle of the night- it is interesting- with all the ships lit up and lined up. Even better in daylight.

I have lived both on the Island and on the Mainland for over 47 years, have taken BC Ferries probably a hundred times, and cruises to and from Vancouver, and have never seen a pod of orcas. Oh, I know they are out there... just wouldn't want you to get your hopes up. ;) :)

The other highlight of Inside Vancouver Island sailing is Seymour Narrows. Putting a call into the bridge through the purser's desk, will get you the time. Even in the middle of the night- it is interesting- with all the ships lit up and lined up. Even better in daylight.

The reason for this is that ships can only pass through VERY SLOWLY at High Tide. In the late '50's the top part of 'Ripple Rock' was blown up, and off, by what was then, the largest non atomic, man made explosion, so as to allow shipping to go through in safety.

Without that we could never cruise the Inside Passage, and all ships have to dictate their time going through, with the tide.

Prior to 1958 usually one ship per year was lost to the Rock.

john

The reason for this is that ships can only pass through VERY SLOWLY at High Tide. In the late '50's the top part of 'Ripple Rock' was blown up, and off, by what was then, the largest non atomic, man made explosion, so as to allow shipping to go through in safety.

Without that we could never cruise the Inside Passage, and all ships have to dictate their time going through, with the tide.

Prior to 1958 usually one ship per year was lost to the Rock.

john

Yep, there is also a plaque near Campbell River, and a pull off explaining this. So, another good stop to make, if spending time on Vancouver Island. :)

Hi Budget Queen. I would love to see Orcas in the wild. We leave Vancouver at 5pm on 19th May. When would be the best time for us to get a chance glimps?

You must be willing to invest a lot of time forward viewing. But, I stay out during the evening sailing, and more important to me, being up at least a 1/2 prior to the posted dawn time, and staying out. There is no way to predict how far your ship will get. The northern orca resident pods have hundreds of miles of range.

Archived