Virgin Gorda, Taxi with an Infant

buster444

Hi,

We will be visiting Tortola on our cruise at the end of the month and we are travelling with an 8 month old infant.

We had wanted to take a self guided tour to visit the Virgin Gorda Baths, but I am a little concerned after researching the open air taxi ride.

Do you think that the taxi ride to the Baths would be appropriate with an infant? It doesn't look like there are any seat belts so I don't think we would be able to attach her car seat to strap her in.

Any feedback and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

I normally tell folks not to worry about the open-sided safari type taxis but in this case I would look for a sedan or smaller truck, there should be some available as you walk past the line of taxis. The ride on VG isn't quite as steep and winding as on Tortola so you may be fine, just depends on how many people around you and the driving conditions.

Virgin Gorda and the Baths may be a bit aggressive an excursion with an 8-month old depending on the weather. The ferry and taxi and the walk down the path to the shore can be a bit taxing if it's extremely hot. Have you considered looking at an A/C tour operator for a tour of Tortola?

Wow--I am impressed you would consider taking an 8 month old to the Baths. :eek:

Some things to consider:

1. It will be very difficult to take the baby through the boulders. There are some really tight spots (only a couple). You will need to had the baby off to someone else and then go through these spots.

2. You could take the path most people use to walk back to the parking lot from Devil's Beach and avoid going through the bolders.

3. The path from the top to the beach and back to the parking lot carrying an 8 month old will build your muscles!

Taking an infant to the Baths is not really ill-advised as long as you have adequate water and other necessary items. And you don't have to take the trail through the boulders, just going to the bottom of the path and viewing the boulders there is quite a sight.

Again it's a bit of a harsh environment only because there aren't any real facilities until you get back to the Top of the Baths. But the distance from the Top to the shore isn't extreme.

If you are able walk off the ship and walk through the area nearby, several great little shops including a nice spice shop, and if you want to enjoy a short island tour there are sedan taxis available. Tortola is gorgeous but I understand it is difficult to explore with an infant. Have a great cruise!

Archived