Flying NS to Hawaii from Newark, NJ

cmooretfo

Has anyone flown non-stop from Newark, NJ to Hawaii? Were flying Continental Airlines 767-400. I think its about a 10.5 hour flight. How are the seats we have the 2 by the window/aisle seats. Also how is the jet lag when you arrive?

Thanks for any information.

Haven't had a direct flight (lucky you). But we flew Boston to Phoenix, 1.5 hour layover, and then on to Honolulu. A bit tired when we got there, but very energized to explore. For the next 2 nights, we awoke between 3:00-3:30 a.m. (Hawaii time)--and could not get to sleep no matter how hard we tried (and one night we didn't go to bed till midnight). On the 3rd night...when we were to go to visit Pearl Harbor at 7 a.m., I swear, we could hardly get ourselves out of bed. The irony was not lost on us, the rest of our group of 8 (I was there on work), talked about how hard it was to get up on the 3rd night too. I don't remember any jet lag happening on the way home; but actually I don't remember much after returning home (and neither does hubby--I asked; but he did remember dragging himself up for Pearl Harbor).

As far as the flights, can't help you there, we flew America West. And I can fall asleep as soon as a flight takes off, I thought it was comfortable--and hubby doesn't remember.

Have fun!!!

If your plane leaves at a decent time in NJ I don't think you will have any problem. 10 hours is a long time so take some magizines and check to see if there are any in flight movies on your flight. I did a flight from Pheonix to Honulu two years ago on a 767. Going was great, flying back was a pain. We flew out at 11:20 am and had seat assigments in the center of the plane. We arrived back in Phoenix at 5:30 am in the morning. I was so tired that I acturally sept on the flight back. Like I said the 767-400 is probably alright for the flight you have. I much prefer a 777 or 340 AirBus but you can't have everything. Enjoy Hawaii. Tim

2 x 2 is the ONLY way to go! Good for you. We did EWR/IAH/HNL. May as well have been nonstop from EWR since IAH-HNL is over 8 hours anyway.

My best advice...honestly....get up and walk around A LOT. Snack when they feed you. Drink LOTS of water. Bring stuff to do......sleep a little if possible.

And, seriously this works...get a LEI GREETING. Really! I used greetersofhawaii.com (i think that's it.) Cost me $38 for 2. The energetic young Hawaiian people meet you just outside of the secure area (we were there pre 9/11 so they came almost to the gate.-this was 1999 so it may have gone up) When they put that lei of fresh yummy orchids around your neck & greet you, you instantly perk up! Must be aromatherapy. Best money I ever spent. (until my cruise last year).

They also walked us to baggage claim and ground transportation.

Go to your hotel. Have a MAI TAI. (I think it is in the official rules...you have to have at least 1! lol) TRY to stay up as long as you can. It's like 6 hours (or more) earlier there.

Or take a power nap. Not sure how long you wil be there before the cruise or after but there is a lot to see! Go to the Arizona memorial and up to the North Shore if you can.

Remember....things are a little slower there. Being from Central NJ I am used to moving a little faster. Have a 2nd MAI TAI. You'll be fine. Relax. It's beautiful. Got any room in your suitcase???

Archived