underwater camera

NiceAFT

Can anyone give me thoughts comments on the panasonic lumix TS3?

Or suggest another camera to purchase. I really am not a photographer but so desperately want good snorkelling pictures!!

Thanks in advance......Darcie

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 is a great camera but it might not be great for someone who doesn't want to set manual controls. Some of features must be turned on manually, like its LED light.

A couple of other cameras for you to consider would be the Pentax Optio WG-2 and the Fujifilm FinePix XP30. These are probably the three most popular "underwater" cameras that I sell at my camera store.

The Pentax is probably the most rugged of the bunch and the Fuji is the least expensive. They all take great pictures and if I were to buy one for myself today, I would probably go with the Lumix.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer.

I don't know anything about the camera you mentioned. I have a Canon powershot D10. They have a newer version coming out soon if it isn't already. The D 20. It gets mixed reviews but I love it. I like that it's bulky and doesn't slip out of my hands and you can move the strap to different corners. I like it better than my super zoom.

There is a wealth of suggestions on the Photo and camera board found here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

I have pictures on my review from Feb. 2011 found here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1368648&highlight=fascination+reviews

HTH

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 is a great camera but it might not be great for someone who doesn't want to set manual controls. Some of features must be turned on manually, like its LED light.

A couple of other cameras for you to consider would be the Pentax Optio WG-2 and the Fujifilm FinePix XP30. These are probably the three most popular "underwater" cameras that I sell at my camera store.

The Pentax is probably the most rugged of the bunch and the Fuji is the least expensive. They all take great pictures and if I were to buy one for myself today, I would probably go with the Lumix.

wow thanks!!

going to check out lumix!! Wonder if anyone on here has snorkelling pics with one.....

if I lived near you, I would purchase it from you!!

Or suggest another camera to purchase. I really am not a photographer but so desperately want good snorkelling pictures!!

My husband who is a professional photographer has the lumix TS2. He really enjoys it for his underwater fun camera. He gets great pictures and video. When I asked him what he would say about it, he said tell them there is a TS4 out now. So maybe there is an even better one. :D He also uses it as a pocket camera that he can bring with him when he doesn't want to carry his real cameras.

It is a great camera.

I've been doing a lot of research as I too, am looking for a good underwater camera. Check out this review (below)... the panasonic lumix dmc-ts3 was ranked #1 for 2012. I bought one yesterday on bestbuy dot com ....they are having a sale and I got it for $279.99. That's the best price I've found for that particular camera. I will be cruising in 3 weeks and will let you know what I think, as soon as I get back. Here's the link:

http://waterproof-camera-review.toptenreviews.com/

I was looking at underwater cameras about two months and my 3 finalists were the Panasonic TS3, the Sony TX10 and the Nikon AW100. All 3 were very close spec wise and figured I would be happy with any of them.

I ended up choosing the Nikon AW100. I took it on a 3 day cruise in February as was able to try it snorkeling in Nassau. The picture turned out great and the HD video was fantastic. Was able to get a 50 second video of a small stingray that was swimming about 4 feet below me.

Have another cruise in 23 days and have 3 snorkeling excursions planned so will get more time with the camera. It seems to take just as good pictures outside of the water as it does under water. My girlfriend was able to purchase a Fuji XP30 very cheap but we haven't tried it out yet.

I mean the fuji !! geesh

Since you were interested in the Fuji XP30, I though I would show you a photo I took with its predecessor, the Fuji XP10. I took the photo while snorkeling in Bonaire last December.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oHy7VjLPBl1XN7NnqXz-mi_R6cav3dClOUF0mTh7XKM?feat=directlink

Gazelle2

I just picked up the Panasonic TS3 a few weeks ago. I will be going on a trip where an underwater camera would come in handy. I noticed it had a great review and the price had dropped to $229. I am still not sure what the difference between this and the new model other than a better sensor.

I hope there isn't too much setting up to do.

I just received my new Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 yesterday, and am still charging the battery. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I've had other, land-based Lumix cameras and been very pleased with them. I like the Leica lenses. This is supposed to be good to 39 ft. I was hoping for something that could go scuba-diving with me.

Wanted the Canon D20, but it's not out yet. I leave Sat.

We have the Fuji XP, and my husband was able to get some nice shots while diving in the Dominican. We will be taking it again on our cruise next year.

And Gazelle, that was a beautiful picture you took. Love to be able to get a fish that close.

Glad to hear that about the Fuji XP30. I just purchased one yesterday on Amazon after going back & forth on lots of them. I just got a "nice" camera for my cruises for Christmas but now that I'm going to Snorkel on my cruises I wanted an underwater camera that was not so expensive. The Fuji seemed to fit the bill.

Will be using it in 3 weeks and hopefully will get some great pics

We also have the Canon D10 powershot and absolutely love it. I remember being on a waiting list when they first came out. We received it about 4 days before we left on our next cruise so we were thrilled it got to us in time. I can't speak highly enough about this camera. I use it all the time. What I find interesting with it is that even though it has an underwater setting, I get good quality underwater photos even without switching to that setting.

I have the Fuji xp and taken it on 3 cruises so far. Its been snorkeling, sting ray swimming, SNUBA and has taken amazing pictures and video both underwater and on land...!!! I have a canon DSLR camera as well and actually left it at home during my last cruise and only took the fuji with me because it took such amazing dry and wet pictures. It only cost $150 which is well worth it for a camera that takes video and pictures under water and on ground.

We have the Fuji XP, and my husband was able to get some nice shots while diving in the Dominican. We will be taking it again on our cruise next year.

And Gazelle, that was a beautiful picture you took. Love to be able to get a fish that close.

Thanks, Rocker57. We were actually on an Emerald Princess tour when we went snorkeling in Bonaire. We snorkeled Aruba the day before but Bonaire was much better. As far as getting the fish up close is concerned, we got a tip from another couple who were with us on that cruise. They always carry a ziplok bag with small Milk Bone treats when they snorkel. They say that the Milk Bones dissolve and crumble slowly and the fish love them. We haven't tried that yet but hope to soon.

Archived