Enroute to Hawaii & Tahiti on Dawn Princess - Any questions

Hi Everyone,

Just left Kona, our last Hawaiian port .Wow...what a whirlwind of great sights and experiences over the last 5 days. The VOG here today was really different. Ricky (of Ricky's tours) took 11 of us on a 4 hour tour which finished at the Kona Brewery beer garden. That was a perfect ending to a great day.

Looking forward to some relaxing sea days now until Papeete. Some new folks (about 150) boarded in Honolulu.

Bob, wine is OK at all ports, spirits are held until the end of the cruise. Spirit prices at the ABC shops and supermarkets are heaps better than ship prices.

Thanks David for those great pics. We've had good weather though yesterday while on our Kauai Eden Tour :( we had drizzly, windy conditions.

Sandielle,

We arrived at immigration at 6.45am and the queue was already in the Atrium.:eek: It seems that few repeat cruisers follow Princess instructions re arrival time at the Vista lounge. I think the longest wait was 90 mins, ours was 45mins. All good and we met our tour guides in Hilo just 30 mins late....not bad for our group of 24.

Mummyrose,

With tender ports, arrive at the ticketing place 30 mins before 'opening time' to get on the first tender.It works.

thanks Anna for all you wonderful reports and thoughts...no surprises about the immigration process, we had similar in Siapan last year on our Cherry Blossom to China. I was hoping that Princess might have smartened up their act with this................Oh well! something for us to look forward too, AGAIN.............lol!

We have the Volcano park on our to do list, so great it is a winner!

B&B

PS love those shots David............WOW!

Just a few days from Papeete now and the weather is stunning. Seas have moderated lots too since leaving Kona.

Mummyrose - yes, lots of snokel sets onboard. I'll check the price out today.

Bob - I'll phone you in Noumea , though I think we'll be docking at the container wharf and you'll be at the terminal?

B&B - If you want a smaller group 4-6 persons/van use Tina and Gill, Ricky will do a larger group (up to 12) and he's also cheaper. Both are very professional and knowledgable.

Just a few days from Papeete now and the weather is stunning. Seas have moderated lots too since leaving Kona.

Bob - I'll phone you in Noumea , though I think we'll be docking at the container wharf and you'll be at the terminal?

B&B - If you want a smaller group 4-6 persons/van use Tina and Gill, Ricky will do a larger group (up to 12) and he's also cheaper. Both are very professional and knowledgable.

Anna every time princess stops at Noumea they dock at the container terminal and they supply a free shuttle bus for anyone wanting to be dropped at the cruise terminal

bob

Anna every time princess stops at Noumea they dock at the container terminal and they supply a free shuttle bus for anyone wanting to be dropped at the cruise terminal

bob

Thanks that would be great...and much easier than looking for another set.....:D

Kaui..So did they use a shuttle there? To a local shopping Center?

bob

Good to know Bob. We should organised a time to meet there. Any suggestions. We are due in at 9am, so maybe after you've done your thing?

Internet speed seems to be pretty good at the moment and we have a good allowance "free".

Mummyrose, I forgot to check on the snorkel/fins price, but will do that today.

We are having Island night tonight on deck, arrive Papeete tomorrow at noon.

I thought Island Night would have been better slotted in at Raiatea when the dancers come onboard....maybe that doesn't happen now?

Good to know Bob. We should organised a time to meet there. Any suggestions. We are due in at 9am, so maybe after you've done your thing?

Internet speed seems to be pretty good at the moment and we have a good allowance "free".

Mummyrose, I forgot to check on the snorkel/fins price, but will do that today.

We are having Island night tonight on deck, arrive Papeete tomorrow at noon.

I thought Island Night would have been better slotted in at Raiatea when the dancers come onboard....maybe that doesn't happen now?

Anna we dont have anything planned so we can meet you in the terminal near the information booth about 10am but if you want to come earlier or decide to stay onboard can you call me

bob

Also ARe Princess selling snorkel sets onboard?

Yes they are and here are their prices. I think you can do better at Kmart and you really don't need fins. In fact the private tour operators don't like you to use them in the coral gardens at Raiatea, as you can damage the coral.

Snorkel & mask $42

Fins only $40

Fins and mask/snorkel $99

Long fins and mask/snorkel $116

Shuttel to Kauai?.... from memory no as we saw lots of folks walking back to the ship Saw an ABC store there and some other touristy places. I guess it's a 10 min walk from the ship.

OK Bob. I'll contact you if I'm not getting off the ship.

We've had the most perfect day in Papeete. Very warm - hot and clear skies.We stayed onboard as we've done the circle tour here before. The word is that France has cut back on the funding here and the locals are relying more and more on the tourist dollar. Attitude to cruisers has therefore vastly improved.

Regatta was in port and hence many of the Princess shorex had to be cancelled. We only arrived at noon, departed at 4am today.

On the horizon I can see that almost eerie/ jagged horizonline that is Moorea. We will tender from Opunhu Bay shortly.

I have 24 of the roll call shipmates booked on Patrick's Bora Bora lagoon tour for Monday. We're all looking forward to it. Raiatea tomorrow, but we cancelled the Tane catamaran tour of Tahaa, so will hunt up something impromptu ashore.

We've had the most perfect day in Papeete. Very warm - hot and clear skies.We stayed onboard as we've done the circle tour here before. The word is that France has cut back on the funding here and the locals are relying more and more on the tourist dollar. Attitude to cruisers has therefore vastly improved.

Regatta was in port and hence many of the Princess shorex had to be cancelled. We only arrived at noon, departed at 4am today.

On the horizon I can see that almost eerie/ jagged horizonline that is Moorea. We will tender from Opunhu Bay shortly.

I have 24 of the roll call shipmates booked on Patrick's Bora Bora lagoon tour for Monday. We're all looking forward to it. Raiatea tomorrow, but we cancelled the Tane catamaran tour of Tahaa, so will hunt up something impromptu ashore.

Anna, in Raitea they have a tourist information at the wharf where you can book tours or they have an open air truck that does tours of the island....they take USD

bob

The ship cams don't do this little paradise justice, but thanks for posting Sandy and David.

Bob - Quite right. Raiatea info centre is a good place to pick up a tour. I'm hoping to pick up a drift snorkelling trip tomorrow.

Yes they are and here are their prices. I think you can do better at Kmart and you really don't need fins. In fact the private tour operators don't like you to use them in the coral gardens at Raiatea, as you can damage the coral.

Snorkel & mask $42

Fins only $40

Fins and mask/snorkel $99

Long fins and mask/snorkel $116

Shuttel to Kauai?.... from memory no as we saw lots of folks walking back to the ship Saw an ABC store there and some other touristy places. I guess it's a 10 min walk from the ship.

:D Thanks Heaps and Heaps...We didn't know about the Coral Gardens......wonder if it will be the same in Bora Bora.....

Also thanks for the update for the Kauai shuttle.....

Best snorkelling is in the Coral Gardens off Tahaa's NW coast. Bora Bora coral is not a spectacular.

Message for Bob,

Doing a Shorex with friends on Noumea, so won't be able to catch up...sorry:o

Anna, no problem and i'll catch up to you another time

bob

Hi Anna

What did you end up doing in Raiatea?

I'm on the HAL 30 night Hawaii and Tahiti cruise in October out of San Diego (I wanted to avoid the time-wasting immigration queues in Hawaii) and at the moment I'm booked on a HAL excursion but wondering whether to cancel and take my chances on the dock.

I had read somewhere that as we're visiting on a Sunday most things, including the tourist desks would be closed, so any recommendations or thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bev

Hi Anna

What did you end up doing in Raiatea?

I'm on the HAL 30 night Hawaii and Tahiti cruise in October out of San Diego (I wanted to avoid the time-wasting immigration queues in Hawaii) and at the moment I'm booked on a HAL excursion but wondering whether to cancel and take my chances on the dock.

I had read somewhere that as we're visiting on a Sunday most things, including the tourist desks would be closed, so any recommendations or thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bev

Bev we have been to Raiatea and not a lot in the town unless you get on a tour....being a sunday i dont know will be open.....when we were there last year they had an open air truck/bus which was very good and we had a few hours tour of the island and they take USD

maybe Anna can come up with more ideas and i didnt see to many taxis in town

Bev we have been to Raiatea and not a lot in the town unless you get on a tour....being a sunday i dont know will be open.....when we were there last year they had an open air truck/bus which was very good and we had a few hours tour of the island and they take USD

maybe Anna can come up with more ideas and i didnt see to many taxis in town

Thanks for your input. At present I'm booked on a coral drift snorkling excursion so was wondering if it was easy and obviously less expensive to pick up a similar tour dockside. So far all my other tours are private but if there wasn't going to be much available once off the ship I wanted to ensure I had a snorkling trip booked.

Archived