Best Excursion in Belize?

lizjoemom

We found David Chan while vacationing in Belize a year age. Friendly, informative and extremely caring...David was perfect for us. We recently went to Belize on Norwegian Cruise Lines and the first person we contacted after the reservations were confirmed was David.

He will consult with you and put together a trip that takes into consideration your activity level, interests and his knowledge of Belize. David speaks perfect english and is extremely knowledgeable of Belize and its Creole and Mayan cultures.

I suggest you call David and get introduced early on. You can contact David by going directly to his website (google Dave's Eco Tours) or by going to Trip Advisor at http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297312-d2561666-Reviews-Dave_s_Eco_Tours_Day_Tours-Maskall_Corozal.html

Tell him that Craig & Debra in New Orleans sent you.

I cannot comment on the quality of tours with David. But I, personally, don't care for the cancellation policy stated on their website:

Full payment is due in order to confirm your tour. A 50% refund will be granted if cancelation is received in 2 days or

( 48 hrs) or more, prior to departure. There will be no refund if cancellation is received less than 2 days or (48 hrs)

prior to departure. Dave’s Eco Tour’s reserved the right to cancel any tour prior to departure under circumstances that

may make operation of tour or (trip) in advisable. All tour’s payment which were received will be promptly refund.

This cancellation policy applies to any reason for cancellation. Personal issues, air line delay.

We used cavetubing.bz Vitals company. While our tour guide was wonderful I don't think we would use them again. They boasted that they tied your tubes together with rope, we were the only group that hand our feet under the shoulders of the person in front of you. So we were all in a straight line. We couldn't hear anything he was saying and it made for a very uncomfortable ride.

My son is 10 and he kept falling through the bottom of his tube and ultimately had to do the whole tour sitting on the lap of his sister.

And the entire place was filled to capacity of tubers. Very very loud and we often had to wait for some groups to move before we could.

The lunch was awesome.

This is a good excursion however choose wisely the company you use.

On the way to the caves we went through the worst side of Belize.

I'm not sure it's a place I would go back to because we never saw anything but the rough side of town. Maybe a Eco tour or something next time.

Hope this helps.

For all of you who are booking shore excursions please be aware that the cruise lines have non-refundable excursion packages. They book guides and guarantee a certain number of tourists.

Likewise, more reputable guides, like Dave's Eco Tours require a commitment that can be non-refundable as your tour date approaches.. Understand that with a private guide, you have booked a person and a vehicle for the day. If you don't show up on the dock, the guide has experienced significant financial loss.

With a group tour, if one of the thirty people don't show up it isn't that big a deal. With a private tour it is.

In my dealings with David Chan (2 tours), I have found him to be more than reasonable with his booking policies. He's just a nice person who loves showing off his country. If you find you are sick or just can't go on the tour, call him. I'm sure he will work with you.

I would suggest that if you feel that you are likely to cancel your day, do not book a cruise based tour or a private tour. Rather, book with a group tour company on shore. They can afford it.

Feel free to email me direct at craig_j@hotmail.com if you have questions or concerns.

Archived