Nugget Falls

usermom

We are interested in hiking to Nugget Falls at Mendenhall. How do we get there after being dropped off by a taxi? What are the best trails to explore? Are any of the trails doable with a wheelchair?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.shtml

Photo Point is listed as accessable. Nugget Falls, is the right fork from there, and goes along the lake. Allow an hour.

These two trails start on the left side of the Visitor Center.

Thanks so much for the quick response. You make planning so much easier.

The Nugget Falls Trail is doable with a wheelchair that has fat tires. The path itself has gentle, barrier-free grades and is plenty wide for wheelchair access, but the surface is gravel, so a traditional skinny-tired wheelchair may have some issues bogging down in places.

The Photo Point and Steep Creek trails are paved or boardwalk and are fully wheelchair-accessible.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.shtml

Photo Point is listed as accessable. Nugget Falls, is the right fork from there, and goes along the lake. Allow an hour.

These two trails start on the left side of the Visitor Center.

Be carefull...

This link takes you to a description of Nugget Creek Trail, not Nugget Falls trail. Nugget Falls Trail takes you from the visitor's center to the base of the falls. I think this is the one you are looking for.

Nugget Creek Trail, the description in this link, takes you up river along the creek moving away from the falls. This trail is also only accessible via East Glacier trail. I would say this one is definately not accessible with a wheel chair.

Be carefull...

This link takes you to a description of Nugget Creek Trail, not Nugget Falls trail. Nugget Falls Trail takes you from the visitor's center to the base of the falls. I think this is the one you are looking for.

Nugget Creek Trail, the description in this link, takes you up river along the creek moving away from the falls. This trail is also only accessible via East Glacier trail. I would say this one is definately not accessible with a wheel chair.

Nugget Falls trail is clearly noted on the map.

The unusual thing about the link is that the written description on the first page is for Nugget "Creek" Trail:

"Nugget Creek Trail

Moderate trail that follows the Nugget Creek drainage

Length - 3 miles + 3.5 mile access trail

Time - 5 hours

Elevation gain - 500 feet"

According to the description, it is much longer than the Nugget Falls trail that BQ mentioned. Then, when you look at the link to the map, it clearly shows the Nugget "Falls" trail, not Nugget "Creek" trail, and it doesn't look all that long. Maybe I'm missing something.

We're going to try it, but I sure hope it doesn't take us 5 hours.

Hi

I went last year No way for a wheel chair if your the one pushing it. I thought I would never get to the bottom. On way back it was no so bad But its was worth the walk.

I thought I stayed on path not sure if I did because it does split a few times

mary

The unusual thing about the link is that the written description on the first page is for Nugget "Creek" Trail:

"Nugget Creek Trail

Moderate trail that follows the Nugget Creek drainage

Length - 3 miles + 3.5 mile access trail

Time - 5 hours

Elevation gain - 500 feet"

According to the description, it is much longer than the Nugget Falls trail that BQ mentioned. Then, when you look at the link to the map, it clearly shows the Nugget "Falls" trail, not Nugget "Creek" trail, and it doesn't look all that long. Maybe I'm missing something.

We're going to try it, but I sure hope it doesn't take us 5 hours.

That's what I intended to draw attention to. The Nugget Falls trail should not take you 5 hours. The description is labled correctly as Nugget Creek, which would take 5 hours and IS only accessible via another trail which is why it is "3 miles + 3.5 mile access trail". As far as the map goes, it shows both trails, the "Fall" trail runs along the lake, the "Creek" trail runs along the river that leads to the waterfall.

A note about the Nugget Falls Trail: Prior to this year, those who visited probably remember that the beginning of the trail (where it forks from the Photo Point Trail) was a temporary path that was definitely not accessible - it sloped steeply down across a rocky outcrop and through a stream.

That is no longer the case - an all-new trail alignment and bridge were completed and opened last fall, shortly after the end of the cruise ship season. Beginning this year, the entire Nugget Falls Trail is wide, barrier-free and surfaced either with gravel or boardwalk material.

A note about the Nugget Falls Trail: Prior to this year, those who visited probably remember that the beginning of the trail (where it forks from the Photo Point Trail) was a temporary path that was definitely not accessible - it sloped steeply down across a rocky outcrop and through a stream.

That is no longer the case - an all-new trail alignment and bridge were completed and opened last fall, shortly after the end of the cruise ship season. Beginning this year, the entire Nugget Falls Trail is wide, barrier-free and surfaced either with gravel or boardwalk material.

Good to know - this trail is on my list to do when we visit in June!

I did it, years ago, when you had to tramp over all kinds of "stuff", and in and out of water. Still a good walk. :) You really have done a fantastic job with this trail in the last few years, and this upgrade- makes it really good. :)

icon1.gif

Can't wait to visit. So glad that they have been updated in time for our visit. It will make our trip that much more enjoyable.

• 3 months later...

Two final questions: How long does it take to walk to and from Nugget Falls from the Visitors Center? Can we see the waterfall from the Photo Trail?

They list the trail as a 45 minute round trip walk. Of course I usually spend quite awhile down at the falls myself. I will definitely say the improvements to the trail are wonderful particularly from an accessibility standpoint. It is not a paved trail, but you should be able to make it with a good pusher. The only place that would be a problem would be getting down to the beach right by the falls. There is no way you would be able to make that last part in a wheelchair. Having big wheels would definitely be a huge advantage.

Archived