What was the deal with the Star this morning?

alwalaska

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Never seen a woman do that here in the midwest. :rolleyes:

But then again the midwest is NOT NYC! Just try and find a parking spot in Manhattan - I dare you! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It was VERY windy on Friday. I was on Star later in the day and wondered how backing out into the wind was going to work out, but we did ok. Surprised the water wasn't rougher because it was so windy.

I'm not surprised there could have been docking issues due to wind.

Sorry, incorrect. The only place a cruise ship captain will relinquish control of his ship is the Panama Canal. Ask any captain and he will verify this.

John

That is true but the harbor pilot has the con and it responsable for the manouvers. The CO (sorry I always use USN terms) always has the responabilty for his command. The side of a cruise ship would ack like a huge sail in a cross wind. I personally hate it when try to dock my sailboat ant it's only 40 ft long. The mast and stays can cathc a stiff breeze even if the sails are down and furled. It's not real fun to bounce your boat of a dock or pier.

Since you seem to like pictures of the Star as much as I do, here are the "pictures" I took yesterday morning when the Star was on her way and and then again last night. The people on the CTN didn't know what they were asking for when they asked if I could snap a picture of sail-away for them. :D They got much more than 1.

LOL! Thanks Ann! Great job! We had a wonderful time!:)

That is true but the harbor pilot has the con and it responsable for the manouvers. The CO (sorry I always use USN terms) always has the responabilty for his command. The side of a cruise ship would ack like a huge sail in a cross wind. I personally hate it when try to dock my sailboat ant it's only 40 ft long. The mast and stays can cathc a stiff breeze even if the sails are down and furled. It's not real fun to bounce your boat of a dock or pier.

technically except in the Panama canal, the captain has the con. he has to repeat and approve every order of the pilot. the pilot merely recommends. there is no issue of who is in charge. its the captain.in fact on must cruise ships its going to be the captain handling the joy stick that controls the ship in a situation like this

The Captain is 100% responsible, and can countermand the conning instructions from the Pilot.

Why the pilot didn't call for Tugs is the question, expensive but less expensive then the bad publicity.

I wonder if the fueling barge had trouble getting along side as well.

Archived