What was the deal with the Star this morning?

alwalaska

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Yes, it was because of the Enterprise fly-over. They held all air traffic and marine traffic back. There were helicopters everywhere. It actually was a really great sight to see it fly over the Statue of Liberty!

Yes, it was because of the Enterprise fly-over. They held all air traffic and marine traffic back. There were helicopters everywhere. It actually was a really great sight to see it fly over the Statue of Liberty!

That would have been cool to see. I forgot to see if any of the science type channels on TV were covering it.

What time was this? I thought it was supposed to be between 10 and 11am. The Star was going back and forth up the river from 7-9am. There were other boats moving around at the same time.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
That would have been cool to see. I forgot to see if any of the science type channels on TV were covering it.

What time was this? I thought it was supposed to be between 10 and 11am. The Star was going back and forth up the river from 7-9am. There were other boats moving around at the same time.

Then I guess I was WRONG! LOL. The shuttle was over-head around 11:00, so that wasn't it. Oh well! It was very, very windy though. I think all the news channels were covering it, try CNN.

My DD and SIL were on the Star and she said they made several attempts to dock but the currents were very strong. They ended up hitting the pier. No one got hurt as far as she knew. Looks like they sustained some minor damage.

Actually, I came on the boards looking to see any news or updates about it.

LoveMyBoxer.....we have a boxer too! We LOVE boxers! Cute picture you have.

We just got home from our wonderful cruise on the Star and yes, the currents and wind were very strong. We made several attempts and it looked like we were going to make it on the last attempt but ended up hitting the pier...CRUNCH. Good thing there are wooden pilons that give a bit or we would have hit the concrete. The Intrepid is at the pier we hit. Lots of cross currents there which kept forcing the Star towards that pier. No one got hurt but we may see coverage on the news as there were news trucks for the space shuttle fly-over. We did get to see that also because of the delay in getting off the ship. Very exciting!

We just got home from our wonderful cruise on the Star and yes, the currents and wind were very strong. We made several attempts and it looked like we were going to make it on the last attempt but ended up hitting the pier...CRUNCH. Good thing there are wooden pilons that give a bit or we would have hit the concrete. The Intrepid is at the pier we hit. Lots of cross currents there which kept forcing the Star towards that pier. No one got hurt but we may see coverage on the news as there were news trucks for the space shuttle fly-over. We did get to see that also because of the delay in getting off the ship. Very exciting!

Thanks for the info. I'm glad no one was hurt. What time did you get off the ship?

Thanks for the info. I'm glad no one was hurt. What time did you get off the ship?

We were among the first cruisers off the STAR this morning were off at about 9:30, 2 hours later than expected. Awsome cruise!

Everyone had presented passports and cleared immigration in St Thomas a couple of days ago, so basically we just handed in our customs forms as we were walking out the building.

It's after 6 PM and she's still at the pier. What time was she supposed to depart for the 2 day Cruise to No where? Friends who were on the cruise said they hit pretty hard. Margaret, did you think it hit hard? Guess it'd be a new meaning to "Cruise to nowhere" if she doesn't move tonight.

http://wirednewyork.com/webcam3/

8pm was the original time.

I was in the theatre waiting with most people to leave,some got off about 9:30 then things just stopped, no explanations, just an announcement the shuttle would fly over in 10 min ,most walkoffs left at 10:45 instead the 7:30 estimate,people were beyond angry,lack of announcements was a problem. The captain said Thursday evening the ship would be at dock at 7am,but currents were too strong combined with the wind,2 attempts were not successful,the third took a lot of skill,we were sitting at the end of the dock parallel with the street for some time. The ship did hit with a loud bang but everything seemed to be ok. When we left at 11:15 the taxis only came to ship when they were dropping passengers off, a real problem,as there were lots of people waiting.Great cruise,great ports, great NCL employees. thank you.

Thought you might be interested in the photos of the Enterprise fly-pasts ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2136093/New-Yorks-turn-salute-shuttle-Enterprise-soars-Manhattan-final-flypast.html

Scroll down to see some old photos - there's one with Star Trek Enterprise crew in front of the Enterprise shuttle!

It is now being reported that Norwegian Cruise Line’s Norwegian Star has collided with the US Navy Aircraft Carrier, USS Intrepid.

The two ships collided earlier today as the Norwegian Star attempted to dock in New York City. The Norwegian Star was having difficulties docking due to high winds and choppy waters in the harbor. The Star attempted to dock multiple times, but the winds and waves were too powerful and overtook the ship.

There are currently no reports on the damage inflicted to either ships, but it doesn’t seem like the damage is too extensive

Guest LoveMyBoxer
It is now being reported that Norwegian Cruise Line’s Norwegian Star has collided with the US Navy Aircraft Carrier, USS Intrepid.

The two ships collided earlier today as the Norwegian Star attempted to dock in New York City. The Norwegian Star was having difficulties docking due to high winds and choppy waters in the harbor. The Star attempted to dock multiple times, but the winds and waves were too powerful and overtook the ship.

There are currently no reports on the damage inflicted to either ships, but it doesn’t seem like the damage is too extensive

Where did you see this???

Gammasip - thank you, Boxers are the BEST!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Interesting: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/27/uss-intrepid-hit-by-norwe_0_n_1460173.html?ref=new-york

"This morning at approximately 8:30 a.m., a Norwegian Cruise ship grazed Pier 86, the home of the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, as it was turning to pull into Pier 88," an Intrepid staffer confirmed in an e-mail to DNAinfo.com.

This site has bad reporting:

MANHATTAN — Hours before the USS Intrepid got a front-row view of the historic flyover by its future tenant, the Enterprise space shuttle, it had to fend off an unexpected gatecrasher: a massive cruise ship that hit the side of the aircraft carrier.

The Norwegian Star, a 2,348-passenger ship trying to dock Friday morning amid the growing excitement of the space shuttle flyover lost control and grazed the side of the Intrepid, officials and witnesses said.

"This morning at approximately 8:30 a.m., a Norwegian Cruise ship grazed Pier 86, the home of the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, as it was turning to pull into Pier 88," an Intrepid staffer confirmed in an e-mail to DNAinfo.com. "The Museum is inspecting the pier for damage but it appears minimal at this time."

Starts off saying it "grazed the side of the Intrepid" and then says "...ship grazed Pier 86" ... BIG difference.

It from 2008 not today!

Guest LoveMyBoxer
It from 2008 not today!

OK fixed my posting, I stand corrected. However, very interesting that it sort of happened twice!

Just off the Star this morning. The Hudson river had fierce currents and, combined with strong winds, made it very difficult for her to make the turn into the slip. On the first two attempts, the ship actually went from 46th Street back to around 36th Street, the currents were that strong.

On the third attempt, it looked like she would make the turn but in the process, grazed the pilings on the northwest corner of the Intrepid pier, near the Concorde. The Star came nowhere near the Intrepid, which is berthed on the south side of the pier.

I've attached a couple of photos and if you look at the closeup of the pilings, you can see where the Star left some white paint. we couldn't see the extent of the damage to her, if any, since we disembarked from the port side and the hit was below our balcony on the starboard side.

Everything was running about two hours late, and our color which was scheduled to be called at 9:30AM was delayed until around 11:30AM.

BTW, this was a fabulous cruise for us and our best Norwegian experience so far (our third). The staff, food and service were excellent, and the Star was in excellent condition for its age. We could find nothing in need of maintenance or repair. It's definitely a credit to the management and staff.

Archived