Foreign Transaction Fees

Host Jazzbeau

We just booked a Berlin-Prague Viking cruise for next June. Imagine my surprise when my credit card showed a $30 foreign transaction fee. When I called our TA, he said he heard about this happening to other clients but never his. Promised we would be reimbursed -- just e-mailed him the proof. Turns out the "bill" showed Viking Basel CH, ergo the fee.

Normally when travelling overseas, I use a Capital One visa card as there's no FTF. I used my regular visa in this particular case 'cause I earn lots of miles with it. As long as the travel company reimburses me for the fee each time I pay a credit towards the trip (so I don't have a big bill when final payment is due), it's ok, but boy, did I pitch a fit when this occurred!

You can also do it on line by the way :).

Cheers,

No need to do it even online. Dispite of what they tell, all foreign transactions are allowed without notice. :( That's a leak in their security system.

Not true. I have been contacted on a couple of occasions about foreign transactions (that I did not make), and have had my card denied until I contacted them when I forgot to tell them about a country I was visiting.

For me at least, they seem very aggressive about tracking your spending.

Cheers,

Not true. I have been contacted on a couple of occasions about foreign transactions (that I did not make), and have had my card denied until I contacted them when I forgot to tell them about a country I was visiting.

For me at least, they seem very aggressive about tracking your spending.

Cheers,

Good it worked for you. I've been to many european contries, never told them upfront and no foreign transactions were ever denied. Maybe it works only for Europe, I do not know.

I use the Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa which has no foreign transaction fees and i get double points on any travel and dining charged on it. You can also use the Chase British Airways visa or the Chase Hyatt Visa. Both don't have foreign transactions fees and both have the chip to make charging in Europe easier.

Does anyone know of an Australian banks etc that doesn't charge international exchange fees, my CBA mastercard and ANZ visa both charge around 3% each which sure do mount up, so far just booking accommdation online I've paid about $80 extra and haven't even left OZ yet! So after 2 months away I know we'll be paying quite a few extra $$$,s, Debbie

Just got back from Avalon Scenery cruise through southern France - took advice of my bank, Bank of America, and used my ATM at BMB PARA banks throughout France - they're everywhere and as simple to use as home with English instructions. You get absolutely the best rate - for instance to get $100 Euros, they charged my acct $123. At some foreign exchange places including airport they wanted $160 US for $100 Euros. You just need to notify your bank before leaving and what countries you'll be visiting and it's smooth sailing!

they're everywhere and as simple to use as home with English instructions. You get absolutely the best rate - for instance to get $100 Euros, they charged my acct $123. At some foreign exchange places including airport they wanted $160 US for $100 Euros. You just need to notify your bank before leaving and what countries you'll be visiting and it's smooth sailing!

WOW $23 fee to get money how is that good

Now if you are talking $23 conversion rate that is a good deal

Foreign TRANSACTION fee & Foreign conversion rate are two different things

Before travelling outside of our normal area (within US/overseas), I contact our credit card companies (especially Cap One visa as that's the card I use overseas) to let them know our itinerary. As mentioned previously in this thread, Visa Capital One at present doesn't charge any foreign transaction fees.

We normally use a Bank of America ATM card when travelling in US/overseas. Before travelling overseas, I call to alert them to our itinerary (or else your transactions could be blocked!) and check to see which banks I should use in order not to have exhorbitant fees, e.g., Britain -- Barclays; France -- BNP; Germany -- Deutsch Bank -- the list of banks is also available online at BOA's website. The fee is 1% of the transaction, sometimes with a $5 per transaction fee -- peanuts compared to some exchange places. A couple of years ago, in Rome an exchange place wanted 17% to exchange dollars to euro. That's not a typo!!! I found a Duetche bank or maybe it was BNP and was only charged the $5+1%.

I suggest you check with your bank to find out the fees.

Archived