Just out of curiosity...do they have a jail on the boat?

SamuelBronkowitz

Rob--thanks for the suggestion of the medical rooms, I'll see if I can get a "behind the scenes" look. (I'm pretty good at this kind of stuff actually--I pulled off a sneak peak to the Secretary of Defense's office in the bloody Pentagon when I was 17 :p)

Peppern, excellent, thanks--I definitely would rather be at the front of the queue. With anything travel related I always like to err on getting early. NO way I'm going to miss the sail-away--even if I wind up missing dinner I'll just go to the buffet!

Question--what's your experience with the Longshoremen in Brooklyn? I have searched these forums frontwards and backwards and seem to get a 50/50 response. Some people say they are blackmailed for $5 per bag and very intimidated by them, others say they are extremely pleasant and surprised when tip.

I'm traveling with 13 boxes/bags about 500lbs total since I'm relocating and want to make sure it all gets into my room and winding up on the Jersery shore!

Rob--thanks for the suggestion of the medical rooms, I'll see if I can get a "behind the scenes" look. (I'm pretty good at this kind of stuff actually--I pulled off a sneak peak to the Secretary of Defense's office in the bloody Pentagon when I was 17 :p)

Peppern, excellent, thanks--I definitely would rather be at the front of the queue. With anything travel related I always like to err on getting early. NO way I'm going to miss the sail-away--even if I wind up missing dinner I'll just go to the buffet!

Question--what's your experience with the Longshoremen in Brooklyn? I have searched these forums frontwards and backwards and seem to get a 50/50 response. Some people say they are blackmailed for $5 per bag and very intimidated by them, others say they are extremely pleasant and surprised when tip.

I'm traveling with 13 boxes/bags about 500lbs total since I'm relocating and want to make sure it all gets into my room and winding up on the Jersery shore!

Longshoremen are lovely people.:)

Cool, I'm not worried really just heard some horror stories about them supposedly blackmailing old ladies on the Cunard transfer buses (no joke!)

Real PM--I'm almost all the way forward. I believe there's an outdoor deck on level 6, right?

That is the best place to be. It is very quiet forward. And if you go to the Commodore Club after dinner, it is a short elevator ride home.

I don't know how you can tour the cells but there are probably plenty of ways to test the accommodations until the next port.:p The British have a nice expression for being jailed - enjoying Her Majesty's pleasure. Surely you don't want your voyage to become a "pleasurable" experience!

Hahha yeah the goal of a tour is under VOLUNTARY circumstances for sure!

From my experience wherever you go if it's not against the rules, and the people in charge of whatever it is you want to see or have access to it are bored, they are usually quite surprised and engaging when you show real interest in what they do and ask them about their jobs. After all what's that saying, everybody's favourite topic of conversation is themselves? :p

I'll be keeping an eye out for coppers strolling about and ask for a photo op with them and get into a conversation. It can't hurt to try.

Excellent! I hope it's close to the brig too! :D

I have no idea where the brig is or even if there is one.

I do know that on one of the cruises I was on that there was an elderly, well healed lady who would not behave and she was banished to her cabin for the duration. And given bread and water. :D

I think they should get a tip for all those boxes, I would not tip $5 a bag, they really only move your bag a few feet, bay $1 or $2 a bag

I have no idea where the brig is or even if there is one.

I do know that on one of the cruises I was on that there was an elderly, well healed lady who would not behave and she was banished to her cabin for the duration. And given bread and water. :D

Turquoise & Jim Avery said there are definitely cells on board and police are armed--so definitely sounds like a brig to me!

Now I'm wondering under what jurisdiction these police fall under. U.S.? Ocean?

I think they should get a tip for all those boxes, I would not tip $5 a bag, they really only move your bag a few feet, bay $1 or $2 a bag

Great thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably whittle out a box or two and 2 pieces will be on my person so if I throw them $20 that should be good.

Turquoise & Jim Avery said there are definitely cells on board and police are armed--so definitely sounds like a brig to me!

Now I'm wondering under what jurisdiction these police fall under. U.S.? Ocean?

The Law of the Sea. Aarrrrggghhh!:eek: Seriously, there are international treaties covering crimes at sea. Nearly all maritime nations are signatories. Nearly all.:eek:

Archived