Godfrey or Sunny Liston on St. Thomas?

cherry2000

Favorite St. Thomas Tour Guide?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite St. Thomas Tour Guide?

• Godfrey
    • Sunny Liston
    • Other

This is probably a ridiculous poll-because how many people have toured with more than one of the guides?

We went with Sunny. He was excellent and would go back again even if he raised his prices. There was nothing we were unhappy about and he did everything he could to make our day memorable.

From what I've read on this site over the past months, both do a great job. The only differences I can see is that Sunny responds quicker (often a phone call) and Godfrey hands off some of his guests when he has booked more than he can handle. It sounds like you can't go wrong with either.

He can be reached at http://www.sunnylistontours.com. His phone numbers and e-mail address are listed on the front page or you can hit the "Book the Tour" button on the left side and there is space available to ask questions. Like Godfrey, money is collected when the tour is complete. As I've said previously, he usually calls in the evening and it's a great time to ask questions and see if he is capable of doing everything you want on your tour.

And cherry, I apologize for the word ridiculous. As i read it this morning it sounds harsh and that was not the intent. What I probably should have said was that I'm not sure how scientific it will be as few have probably tried both tours so that they can compare.

Stan - no need to apolgize, I really should have thought twice before I posted that poll. I guess I should have worded it more like "Which tour guide did you use on St. Thomas - Sunny or Godfrey?". Anyway, I am leaning toward Sunny. I emailed them both for info and rec'd back quick emails but they were confirmations vs. just info. So... I currently am holding ressies with both, so I'll have to cancel one of them.

I look at it this way..... whether we choose Godfrey or Sunny we are all winners in that we're fortunate enough to be able to spend the day enjoying the sights, shopping and beaches which St. Thomas has to offer :)

In looking at both websites, I notice that Sunny does NOT list the Mountain Top as a stop on the tour. I know it sounds minor, but I would like to have one of those famous banana daquiris. Does Sunny go to the mountain top?

Sunny definitely stops at the mountaintop. If memory serves correctly, we were there for almost an hour. Also, I may be the only one, but I was not that impressed with the banana dacquiri.

Sunny definitely stops at the mountaintop. If memory serves correctly, we were there for almost an hour. Also, I may be the only one, but I was not that impressed with the banana dacquiri.

Hmm, what could you possibly do at mountaintop for an hour?? 30 mins is more than enough time to get a drink,take pics and check out the shops.

When you take these tours, how much time do you get to spend at the beach? do you have enough time to snorkle or parasail? Do they supply any equipment or do you rent it on the beach?

Thanks, Sharonna

When you take these tours, how much time do you get to spend at the beach? do you have enough time to snorkle or parasail? Do they supply any equipment or do you rent it on the beach?

Thanks, Sharonna

With Godfrey you get 2 hours at the beach. You can rent chairs and snorkel equipment from the people at the beach.

I look at it this way..... whether we choose Godfrey or Sunny we are all winners in that we're fortunate enough to be able to spend the day enjoying the sights, shopping and beaches which St. Thomas has to offer :)

I couldn't have said it any better.

We used Godfrey and don't know what he could have done better. He picked us up at the ship when we wanted, dropped us on the shopping strip and collected all of us at noon. About a two hour tour to see all that was worth seeing, dropped us at the beach of our choice for two hours and made sure we were back at the ship before it sailed. He kept anything of value that we didn't want to lug around locked in the cab with him.

Great day!

With Sunny we chose two hours of shopping and three at the beach.

And maybe it wasn't a whole hour at the mountaintop. I know there were some younger members of our group that spent a lot of time in the gift shop (they said) and we were waiting for them to return so we could leave.

Sunny was a wonderful host. We really felt like we know St. Thomas. He and his lovely wife, Angela, treated us like we were invited guests. This is no average tour. It was fabulous. I just hope with all the buzz about Sunny he can keep his business small and personal. We have paid more for different excursions on other cuises,but his love and knowledge of the island was refreshing and complete. You dont get caring personal service like this in every port. Dont make a mistake and pass this one by. Sunny and Angela Liston's tour was really that terrific.:)

We used Sunny 1 week ago. His wife met us at the pier as we exited. Since it was a Sunday his wife was able to help with the days tour. There were 6 of us (3 couples). The men rode with Sunny (in the cab of his truck) and along with a few others on his tour in the back of his truck, while us women rode with his wife, Angela, in the comfort of her air conditioned SUV. After comparing our day, we agree that both are well informed of the island. I agree with other posts that Sunny's tour is very personal and he, along with his wife, make you feel like the tour is to satisfy your needs as guest to them not just clients. Even though they have time scheduled for shopping, touring and beach time you never feel rushed and have adequate time to fulfill your needs such as shopping, picture taking and leisure time at the beach. As for our tour with his wife, we felt like it was the girls day out telling stories while we humored her and she us, along with answering all of questions about the island. Both Godrey and Sunny's tour are similar in nature, however, Sunny seems to add the personal touch since he takes a fewer amount of guests.

We used Godfrey in November. He was wonderful. I can't imagine anything better. He will meet you at the ship for either 1, 2 or 3 hours of shopping. All you have to do is let him know what time you want him to pick you up. After the tour of the island he drops you off at the beach of your choice. For those who don't want go to the beach, he will drop you off in town or back at the ship. Thanks to Godfrey, St Thomas was the best day of the cruise.

Carnval Victory Canada 7/03

Star Princess E. Carribean 11/04

Radiance of the Seas Alaska 9/05

Sunny Liston is an incredible guide. He not only knows all there is to know about his island, he cares about his clients! This is the first time in my life that a "tour guide", if you will, telephoned to confirm and solicit my business and then, more importantly, e-mailed me to thank me for my business and to wish me well!There is no doubt that I would go back to Sunny, refer people to him, and even consider another vacation in St. Thomas just because of Sunny. He is definitely a huge asset to St. Thomas and its tourism industry. I sincerely wish him the greatest success!

So, if i understand correctly, Godfrey takes you to ALL the places listed on his website an dyou can choose which beach to stay at??? Is it worth skipping Trunk Bay to tour with him and have more time for shopping and beaching???? And you are always back on time???

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have been out with Sunny Liston, I have a question:

How comfortable is his open-air jitney? I just looked at his website and everyone looks pretty packed in there. My husband is 6'5" and I was just wondering if he would be comfortable. I just read a post from someone who had been out with Godfrey who had some tall people in their group and said that there was plenty of room. Would love to hear your thoughts on spaciousness/comfort level with Sunny's tour. Thank you.

When we went with Sunny, I don't remember any concerns about there not being enough room. There were 12 of us and we were comfortable although I'm not sure if anyone was much over six foot.

When I am on a plane, I often feel crowded for shoulder room. It was not an issue with Sunny. My wife and I sat in a seat of four adults and had no complaints. I also suggest you e-mail him directly and ask him any questions you may have.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading contributions on this site since November. In that time I have probably seen several hundred reviews of the tours on St. Thomas. It appears Godfrey has has a large share to the tour trade and does a good job. There have only been a couple complaints-slow response to e-mails and a couple have complained that he had so many people on his tour that they were given to another tour operator that didn't meet their expectations. Overall, it appears he would still receive an excellent rating.

The other tour guides appear to have less business, but also do an excellent job. I therefore find it interesting that this poll is a tie when it appears that Godfrey has a much larger business than Sunny. Secondly, it appears obvious that whomever is doing the training and overseeing the tour guides is also doing an excellent job. Visitors to St. Thomas appear to be in a "can't miss" situation.

Sunny was fabulous with us. But from reading all of the other reviews, this appears to be the norm on St. Thomas. This should be comforting to first-timers going to St. Thomas.

Archived