Little French Key?

Messunderstood

I have been a little obsessed w/ reading all the threads about Roatan, & have Little French Key booked as a treat to DH & DIL in a week & 1/2... thanks for all the posts & pics & rave reviews - that sealed the deal for me! I even bought a digital underwater camera for the photogenic fish/ coral, etc...no more one time use film for me! Ha!:p:D

I will report back after our trip! (btw - response to e-mails were very prompt)

• 2 weeks later...
Will be there Aug 22, hope to get great pics!

We are seriously considering this... it's just a bit pricey for 4 and 2 also want to do a snorkel trip. Trying to figure out which plan will work best for us, I'm sure it will be money well spent but we still need to budget for it :)

Can't wait to see your pics and hopefully you'll give us a review.... you'll be back soon :D

I just returned from my trip, I haven't got all my pics uploaded yet, three cameras, ~700 pics!

I only have been to Roatan this once, so I can only comment on Little French Key, can't compare it to any other sites there, but I have to give it....a 10!

Yes, I wasn't too happy w/ the updated prices, $$ (I booked after the revised edition) but if it is anywhere in the budget, I say go for it! Altho the water was a little choppy ( Carnival Magic couldn't make it's port in Mahogaony Bay, but docked @ Coxen Hole due to winds) it was the best snorkeling I have ever encountered...can only compare it to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize. Would I go again, definitely!

Dave met us at the revised pier location. Very friendly, personable. The resort island is immaculate. The food absolutely delicious, better by far than the cruise food. The island 'workers' ( i.e. cooks, bar tender, grounds keepers, boat driver, etc ) were very friendly, helpful. They seemed happy & eager to please. One was talking to the owner, who wasn't there that day, but he gave the phone to DH who had a nice conversation w/ him.

( Carnival Magic couldn't make it's port in Mahogaony Bay, but docked @ Coxen Hole due to winds) it was the best snorkeling I have ever encountered...can only compare it to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize. Would I go again, definitely!

Did you book the snorkeling through them or were you able to swim out a bit and snorkel? Can't wait to see your pics!

We snorkeled right off the island some, but it has a sandy bottom, so there wasn't the greatest visibility there w/ the boat in & out. They take you around the second little island to snorkel - there lies the reef just a minute or two away...too far to swim to on your own! We were dropped off for about an hour to swim, snorkel w/ a very helpful guide.

P8210893.JPG

Added thoughts ~ the island resort is not huge, so you will see the same variations of pictures here & on TripAdvisor or anywhere else you check.

I left my bug repellant on the ship...I did get bitten by 'sand fleas' as they call them - whatever they are. However, DH nor DIL suffered any bites or maybe one or two...

I had just bought a digital underwater camera that I hadn't gotten familiar with, so altho the reef is spectacular, sad to say my underwater pics, not too much...

P1020067.JPG

We are crusing on Royal Caribbean, leaving on 1-27-13 also! This will put us in Roatan on January 30th. I have already emailed LFK to make reservations. Can't wait for this excursion!!

We will be there the same day off the Carnival Conquest! :D

Did you see a nice variety of fish/sea life or was it mostly just coral? It makes me a little nervous that the boat just leaves you..but i guess it is good to know that a guide stays with you the whole time.

We were given life jackets...these were not the kind you blow up...it made for easy breezy snorkeling...(we normally don't use vests...) The guide stayed w/ us...the hardest part of the trip, as most know, is getting back on the boat...somehow the laws of physics just don't allow for a person to get out of the water onto a boat, even w/ steps that go into the water....go figure.. also, there was a good variety of fish, coral, etc to make it all worth while...please do not over think this, guys...depending on the weather, etc, it is a trip of a life time...DH & DIL, as well as other guests all agreed this was a 10!

P1020057.JPG

We were given life jackets...these were not the kind you blow up...it made for easy breezy snorkeling...(we normally don't use vests...) The guide stayed w/ us...the hardest part of the trip, as most know, is getting back on the boat...somehow the laws of physics just don't allow for a person to get out of the water onto a boat, even w/ steps that go into the water....go figure.. also, there was a good variety of fish, coral, etc to make it all worth while...please do not over think this, guys...depending on the weather, etc, it is a trip of a life time...DH & DIL, as well as other guests all agreed this was a 10!

SOLD! Thanks for the pics, we are going, 2 of our group will also book the snorkeling. Can't wait to see paradise :)

SOLD! Thanks for the pics, we are going, 2 of our group will also book the snorkeling. Can't wait to see paradise :)

I am so glad! We had the most fabulous day there... already thinking about booking the same trip next Aug/Sept, & hope the weather cooperates!

We snorkeled all around Little French Key before we were taken out to the reef. There still were fish to be seen for 'free' but I would not pass up the opportunity to see more if it is in the budget!

I am in the process of making a photo book of our cruise & I never tire of seeing the pics from there!

P8220195.JPG

I booked this for the first week of January. Did you have any difficulty making it to the port on time? That is my only concern.

No worries...they are absolutely aware of cruise ship time, etc...I say just leave it in their capable hands - we had plenty of time to enjoy the island, eat, drink, swim, relax. We made it back in plenty of time to shop, get back on the ship early. Just let them know of your concern to have a time leeway.

In the previous picture, you can see the main island of Roatan in the background...it is only a few minute boat ride back, then 15 or 20 min drive...

FYI. we are a group of 20+ and contacted them regarding day trip. There prices have significantly increased from previous posts I've seen on here. Heres an email from them sent to me recently:

Kids under 11 are at 50% discount.

I) Super Fun Day Package $188 per person:

Includes,

1) One Tank guided Reef Scuba Dive for certified divers

2) Zip-line through the Roatan Jungle Canopy

3) Entrance and comfortable boat ride to Little French Key Private Island

Resort

4) Great and Delicious Fresh Island Style Lunch served on the private

Island, which includes Brochettes of Fillet Mengion, Lobster, Shrimp,

marinated chicken

breast, fresh home made Yucca chips, fresh home made salsa, rice and bean

and all

drinks of choice (all you can eat and drink)

5) Use of all our facilities and equipment, motorized and non motorized,

Jet Skies,

Banana Boats, Kayaks, water beds, water chairs, chase lounges, etc...

6) Tour of our Private Zoo with guide, friendly and tame Monkeys, Macaws

and Parrots

7) Round Trip Transportation to and from our facilities

II) Fun Day Package $148 Per person:

Includes,

1) Your Choice Zip-line through the Roatan Jungle Canopy or a one tank

scuba dive

at the second largest Barrier Reef in the world for certified divers

2) And All items 3 through 7 in option (I) above

III) Full Island Package $88 per person:

Includes,

1) Entrance and comfortable boat ride to Little French Key Private Island

2) Great and Delicious Fresh Island Style Lunch served on the private

Island, which includes Brochettes of Fillet Mengion, Lobster, Shrimp,

marinated chicken

breast, fresh home made Yucca chips, fresh home made salsa, rice and bean

and two drinks of

choice

3) Use of all our non motorized equipments, Kayaks, water beds, water

chairs, chase lounges, etc...

4) Tour of our Private Zoo with guide, friendly and tame Monkeys, Macaws

and Parrots

5) Round Trip Transportation to and from our facilities

IV) Full Island Package PLUS $98 Per person:

Includes,

All of the items included in “ III, Island Package above PLUS a guided

snorkeling Tour of the Adjacent REEF, the second largest in the world, a

truly MUST SEE!!

V) Entrance Only and Round Trip Transportation to the Private Island @ $55

Per Person

Motorized water activities Jet Ski tour @ $70 per half hour, Banana

Boat tour at $15 per person, guided Reef snorkel tour with boat and

guide @ $20 per person as well water ski, knee board and floater bed

is also available ala carte.

FYI. we are a group of 20+ and contacted them regarding day trip. There prices have significantly increased from previous posts I've seen on here. Heres an email from them sent to me recently:

Did they offer any "group rates/discount" since you have a large group?

Did they offer any "group rates/discount" since you have a large group?

The email was the price quoted, no discount. It looks beautiful but almost 400 for are 6 of the group just seems too steep for me. Maybe if it was just myself and DH.

The prices are a little 'steep' now IMHO... However, I had a 'little cash windfall' that I justified using for this particular excursion... (& we chose to do 'nothing' in Belize... I paid for three peeps @ $98 apiece & then said ' oh, keep the change...':p

That being said, I do not regret one minute or one dollar of this amazing excursion....did we get our moneys worth? ABSOLUTELY!!! If we go back on our next cruise, which is my plan, I may do something a little more budget friendly...but if I can, I will definitely book this ' home away from home' again!:D

P8220269.JPG