Little French Key?

Messunderstood

I think they have figured out that letting way too many people in on that one day (if it truly was only one day) was a big mistake. That bad experience for so many is really going to be hard to live down. It is really making me have second thoughts.

If you just sign up for the $55 "package", which is just entrance and transportation, are you allowed to use the loungers? Is there good snorkeling from the beach versus paying for a guided snorkel tour? How far is it out to the reef? We really don 't care about drinks and lunch.

I inquired about the $55 package for friends. Don't know whether they would forbid a body from lounging on a chair on the sand. But LFK clearly said kayaks would not be included. I would personally extrapolate that all non-motorized water sports equipment (including floaties) are excluded. But definitely e-mail any specific queries for LFK to answer.

I enjoyed LFK when we did the $98 package (included boat ride out to reef), but I am advising friends against $55 package if they want to use kayaks at no additional charge. In fact, even though we really enjoyed our time there, I am advising friends to research less expensive options elsewhere.

I received email from Little French Key today. The new price is $88/pp or $98 including snorkeling. It includes pick up and return at ship, lunch, and two drinks. I thought it was a little bit steep at $88/pp. Lunch is the average buffet of shrimp, chicken, rice, beans, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I booked LFK for our cruise next week. I am really hoping it is as pretty as the pictures show. It is pretty expensive for our family of 5 but 2 kids are 1/2 price although they most likely won't eat the food or very little. I am very excited to hang here for the day and hope it is worth it.

I booked LFK for our cruise next week. I am really hoping it is as pretty as the pictures show. It is pretty expensive for our family of 5 but 2 kids are 1/2 price although they most likely won't eat the food or very little. I am very excited to hang here for the day and hope it is worth it.

Please come back and share your thoughts and especially pictures if you will. I can't wait to hear how it goes. :)

This is stillthe best place I have ever been to. Anyone that has been here and other places. Can you tell me where there is another place like this please? Thanks Because we really like LFK. Looking for other places likke it.

Can anyone speak to the quality of snorkeling or diving at LFK?

In the info email LFK says, "We are located on the top of the second largest reef in the world and the snorkeling is indeed excellent here with crystal clear waters...."

On this thread there was one review that said there was coral but not much to see fish-wise.

Is the guided snorkel worth the $10 more? Is the dive worth $60 more?

Thanks!

This is stillthe best place I have ever been to. Anyone that has been here and other places. Can you tell me where there is another place like this please? Thanks Because we really like LFK. Looking for other places likke it.

Well, I have never been to LFK...yet. However, I can recommend a beautiful place that is kind of similar and just beautiful and that would be Maya Key in Roatan as well. It's on an island and the island is beautiful with nice landscaping and flowers everywhere. They have TONS of animals there (it is an animal rescue place so there's alligators, birds, monkeys, jaguars and other big cats and so on). The snorkeling there is OUT OF THIS WORLD good. They have a nice pool area and an eating area (lunch included in the price), very nice bathrooms and changing area, and a gift store. I loved this place and it is now one of my favorites!

If you want to read my review, I'll give you the link and there are TONS of pictures so you can get a feel of what it's like there and decide for yourself.

Here's the link and the review for just Maya Key starts at post #290.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=8

If you are looking for similar places at other ports, just let me know. :)

If anyone is interested I uploaded several pictures of LFK. There was someone on another thread that wanted to see "real" pics instead of travel site pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92777693@N04/sets/72157632658618166/

Oh my gosh. Thank you for the wonderful pictures. Those are probably the best pictures that shows the place that I have seen so far. It seems like everyone always post the huge hut where everyone jumps off in to the water at, but you never see much of the other places around the island. Thanks for showing me some of the other things there. I book marked your page for future reference. This place looks gorgeous.

Please remember this is a small island, but there is enough to keep ya busy most of the day if you like to explore, photograph, eat, drink, swim, snorkel, relax, etc in a beautiful tropical, rustic setting! I went in Aug '12...

Leaving the mainland...

P8210879.JPG

Little French Key in the distance. You take a pontoon out to the one on the left, snorkel off the bigger island off to the right (too far to swim unless you are a fish!)

P8210882.JPG

Part of the lagoon & loung area...

P8220274.JPG

Well, there is more, I will post more later if anyone is interested, this time change has done me in...:p

I think they've stabilized their pricing. We had nothing but bottled water and Monkey La-Las and we used the free-drink tickets and cash. Both were accepted with a smile. My food and drinks were brought to me and both were very good. Two of us dragged chairs into the shade while the kids paddled around until their snorkel boat run.

If you are new to snorkeling, do yourself a favor and practice a little in the shallows or in your own bathtub beforehand.

I would definitely go back but maybe not in the rainy months. Those are Nov - Feb.

They are building a new dock so as to impact swimmers less when they drop off/ pick up.

They care a lot about the health of the reef. You will get called back in if you start walking on coral - I just used a kayak and held a waterproof camera under the surface. It was a film camera, but I expect some nice shots to develop.

Overheard from a returning snorkler - "I've dived all over the Caribbean and this is The Best Reef Snorkling I have ever seen!"

Hope this helps!

Oh, and I spoke a bit with the owner. He was very visible, very hands-on, and was directing the day's sand supplementation.

Families and couples were all having a nice day.

I think they've stabilized their pricing. We had nothing but bottled water and Monkey La-Las and we used the free-drink tickets and cash. Both were accepted with a smile. My food and drinks were brought to me and both were very good. Two of us dragged chairs into the shade while the kids paddled around until their snorkel boat run.

If you are new to snorkeling, do yourself a favor and practice a little in the shallows or in your own bathtub beforehand.

I would definitely go back but maybe not in the rainy months. Those are Nov - Feb.

They are building a new dock so as to impact swimmers less when they drop off/ pick up.

They care a lot about the health of the reef. You will get called back in if you start walking on coral - I just used a kayak and held a waterproof camera under the surface. It was a film camera, but I expect some nice shots to develop.

Overheard from a returning snorkler - "I've dived all over the Caribbean and this is The Best Reef Snorkling I have ever seen!"

Hope this helps!

Oh, and I spoke a bit with the owner. He was very visible, very hands-on, and was directing the day's sand supplementation.

Families and couples were all having a nice day.

Thanks for your imput. Care to share any of your pictures from that day? :D

• 3 weeks later...

Ah hem...Still waiting on pics from recent cruisers.... :D

So I may have missed it, where do you book this at? Is it still the $88? They are only allowing you 2 drinks? How much are extra drinks to buy? Is there a price for children or do they have to pay the same price? Is there a certain age that they are considered free?

My daughter (oldest) and I were trying to check this place out online today and couldn't even find ANY pricing at all. She's wanting to do a cruise next month so we figured we better get to planning soon. :D

So I may have missed it, where do you book this at? Is it still the $88? They are only allowing you 2 drinks? How much are extra drinks to buy? Is there a price for children or do they have to pay the same price? Is there a certain age that they are considered free?

You'll need to email them at info@littlefrenchkey.com for current pricing and policies. If you send them an email saying you're interested in reserving, they'll send you a full list of options with pricing. You can then ask any specific questions that aren't covered in their initial email.

I'm posting the link to the review that I just posted to the NCL forum...I talk about LFK on day 3! Then if you scroll down a ways I posted a few pics as well. Ask me questions and I'll try to answer! :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1822571

Thanks for the review (I read it all) and the pictures. It's too bad you didn't have time to snorkel at Chankanaab. I have a feeling you would have been very pleased with it. I love Chank, it's one of our favorites. It's just so beautiful there.

Do you know how much the drinks were (monkey-lalas and soda) there at LFK? And you only get 2 free drinks with your admission right?

I think they were six dollars at the most, for blended drinks. Less for beer ($3?) or water but the drink tickets worked for all.

The Monkey La La was everyone's favorite and you could taste/feel the rum in it.

The grilled lunch, four meats with Caribbean rice & peas and crisp plantains is one of my favorite memories of the whole trip; whoever worked the grill knew what they were doing! And the plate was brought right to my lounger.