Little French Key?

Messunderstood

This is what they serve:

Brochettes of Fillet Mignon, Lobster,Shrimp, marinated chicken breast, fresh home made Yucca chips, fresh home made salsa, rice and beans and comes with 2 drinks of your choice.

If you want to buy extra drinks: beer is $5 and mixed drinks are between $5-$7. I'm not sure how much soda and water is but for some reason I was thinking it was around $2-$3 each.

My kiddo will probably eat the rice and beans, but likely not much else. I will ask when I email if they have other options for kids or if it would be ok to bring some snacks to augment lunch if it doesn't meet his approval.

Hi

Trying to decide between "Little French Key" or the "monkey and Beach"Victor Bodden tour.

Any thoughts?

Looking for a wonderful beach day. Karen

Did you read my full review on Little French Key in my signature line? The place is gorgeous and post card picture perfect. It's what you think of when you say "Caribbean". :)

I was planning on returning to Maya Key. I was there in 2009 when it was fins and feathers. Now I read about cruise ship excursions are the only way to visit. Now I'm thinking about LFK. I want to show my best friend an experience of a lifetime. She has never been out of the country. There is 30-40 difference per person but that is not an issue to me. I want one great beach day. I can't wait to read Mitsgirl review of the Jewel in Dec. I will be on the Jewel in Feb. I read on the website that the island hours start at 11 am. Is that true?

I was planning on returning to Maya Key. I was there in 2009 when it was fins and feathers. Now I read about cruise ship excursions are the only way to visit. Now I'm thinking about LFK. I want to show my best friend an experience of a lifetime. She has never been out of the country. There is 30-40 difference per person but that is not an issue to me. I want one great beach day. I can't wait to read Mitsgirl review of the Jewel in Dec. I will be on the Jewel in Feb. I read on the website that the island hours start at 11 am. Is that true?

Yes, the only way to book Maya Key (formally Fins and Flippers) is with the cruise line now. However, if you are planning on being on a NCL ship, just know they have one of the cheapest rates to go there (compared to other ships) plus they dock right in front of Maya Key.

Little French Key is absolutely gorgeous and IMO well worth the extra $$. It's just so beautiful there and we completely enjoyed our day there and would go back again in a heartbeat. Roatan just gets better and better every time we visit. :D

I'm not sure about the "island hours" because we arrived early and departed the ship immediately and caught a cab and went to LFK (and all of the other places as well on previous visits) and never had a problem. They know when the cruise ships are coming and what times they are in port so I wouldn't think any of them would miss out on any opportunity to make money and would be open. Just my thoughts.

Mitsu,

We booked at Maya Key for this trip to Roatan. I see that you preferred LFK. I didn't totally get why based on your reviews. How was the snorkeling at LFK? I see that the cost at LFK includes a guided tour of the reef. One thing that appeals from Maya Key is that we can snorkel to our hearts desire on our own.

BTW, going to buy an Olympus Tough today. :D

Thanks for your reviews and pics!

Pam

Mitsu,

We booked at Maya Key for this trip to Roatan. I see that you preferred LFK. I didn't totally get why based on your reviews. How was the snorkeling at LFK? I see that the cost at LFK includes a guided tour of the reef. One thing that appeals from Maya Key is that we can snorkel to our hearts desire on our own.

BTW, going to buy an Olympus Tough today. :D

Thanks for your reviews and pics!

Pam

I love both places. Maya Key is THE place to go for snorkeling. It is simply amazing and will not disappoint. It was a very beautiful island and had multiple things to see and do there.

Little French Key is just a "different" feel to it. It's like taking the perfect postcard picture of the Caribbean and putting yourself in it. The place is just gorgeous. The water was probably the prettiest I have ever seen in the cove. There's tons to do there as well.

As for the snorkeling, I was perfectly content with snorkeling right there from the beach area in the cove. There was plenty to see and I was able to see things I have never seen before. They had different beaches to snorkel from as well. I did not go out to the reef, so I can not comment on what it is like, but I know others enjoyed it.

The price of admission does not include a snorkeling tour UNLESS you buy that admission packet. (There are several different admission rates). You can snorkel at the reef by yourself without a guided tour. They have canoes that you can take out there to snorkel at the reef. We just chose not to do it because we were having a blast and was content where we were.

I would do either place again in a heart beat. Loved them both. :)

Enjoy your day at Maya Key AND your Olympus Tough. :D

The water is so totally beautiful! That is what drew me to this private beach. I can't compare it to anything else on Roatan, but I thought it was incredible. The island is small, and yet it doesn't feel at all crowded. The water temperature was perfect. There were several small beaches and inlets so you will get the feel of a private island. The snorkeling on the reef was good, but I wouldn't say it was great. The lunch was good, but not great. However, I'd go back tomorrow if I could, just for the relaxing atmosphere and the water. We did get to hold the monkeys which were adorable and my son was able to pet the jaguar.

The water is so totally beautiful! That is what drew me to this private beach. I can't compare it to anything else on Roatan, but I thought it was incredible. The island is small, and yet it doesn't feel at all crowded. The water temperature was perfect. There were several small beaches and inlets so you will get the feel of a private island. The snorkeling on the reef was good, but I wouldn't say it was great. The lunch was good, but not great. However, I'd go back tomorrow if I could, just for the relaxing atmosphere and the water. We did get to hold the monkeys which were adorable and my son was able to pet the jaguar.

That is awesome. I'm so jealous that you got to pet the jaguar. They were off at another location when we were there (they were having their new, bigger, improved cage built that week). :)

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize if this question has been ask because I did not read ALL the pages. But...what did everybody do with their belongings while snorkeling or zip lining or swimming? Don't really feel comfortable leaving on the beach. Are there many locals there?

I know once when we went to Grand Turks, and was hanging around the pool there. There were a lot of locals and we were uncomfortable leaving our stuff.

We bought the air tight small pouches for our money and cruise card, etc., but wasn't sure about our beach bag with stuff in it. We are reserved for our upcoming visit. Have heard it is amazing and we are looking forward to it.

I contacted them and they do not offer lockers unfortunately.

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by P.A.

I apologize if this question has been ask because I did not read ALL the pages. But...what did everybody do with their belongings while snorkeling or zip lining or swimming? Don't really feel comfortable leaving on the beach. Are there many locals there?

I know once when we went to Grand Turks, and was hanging around the pool there. There were a lot of locals and we were uncomfortable leaving our stuff.

We bought the air tight small pouches for our money and cruise card, etc., but wasn't sure about our beach bag with stuff in it. We are reserved for our upcoming visit. Have heard it is amazing and we are looking forward to it.

I contacted them and they do not offer lockers unfortunately.

Thanks in advance. :)

It's a small island and not a place that locals can just go to hang out. They do have special events there, but think about this, it's pretty expensive to go to. The locals there aren't going to be paying that kind of money to just go over and hang out for the day. So the people you will usually find there during a port day are people from the cruise ship (and not many of them).

Depending on where you are at, since there's several sides to the small island and several beaches, your items are always in sight. We never felt uncomfortable leaving our items on the chair in the bag while we were swimming or even canoeing. Everything was always in site.

If you are going on the guided snorkeling tour out to the reef, since you are on a boat that takes you out there, I would imagine you could take your bag with you if you didn't want to leave it behind.

We always just leave our bag with our towels and change of clothes in the bag. So, if anyone ever did take it (anywhere we have ever went), they're not walking away with much. I have a dry pack that I wear around my waste when swimming/snorkeling and it will have my cash, ship cards and cc in it. :)

The only locals we ever saw were folk that were there working. They did not mingle with the guests. We chose our chairs and left non valuables on our chairs and they were fine.

We chose an area away from the bar, DH was you his phone as a camera when I decided that we needed to go swimming. He left his phone at the bar no problem.

Remember they control who comes over to the island. One way on...one way off... and you pay before you take the boat over. They know who is there :-)

We are going back in April :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Opps, I accidentally started a new thread before I ran across this one! Ignore that one.

Quick question - Their website says they open at 11 and our ship is leaving at 3. We REALLY REALLY want to go and even 2 to 3 hours on the island would be great, but just checking if this is possible? Has anyone done it where the cruise leaves port at 3 p.m.? Maybe they open an hour or 2 early on early cruise days?

And sorry if someone already asked in this thread, it's getting quite long and had to skip a few pages!

Quick question - Their website says they open at 11 and our ship is leaving at 3. We REALLY REALLY want to go and even 2 to 3 hours on the island would be great, but just checking if this is possible? Has anyone done it where the cruise leaves port at 3 p.m.? Maybe they open an hour or 2 early on early cruise days?

They can confirm a pickup time when you email them. We docked (Mahogany Bay) and trotted off the ship by 8. Met our driver Wilson and we were off to LFK! Had a little wait in line at Frenchy's 44 for the large group ahead of us to sign in, pay and get wristbands. But we were on the next ferry over and left LFK at 3.

You can definitely go before 11. To save time, there are cabs by Visitor Info at the port/village that cost $2 pp to carry you over the hill and save you a half mile walk.

Hi all. I am really interested in doing LFK on my day in Roatan (Dec 26th) but I have some concerns about time. I am doing a dive with Dolphins in the morning at Anthony's Key and according to them I will be done at 10:30. Rather than go on the bus with fellow cruise ship mates back to the port (which would then be 11:30 according to NCL) LFK said they would pick me up at Anthony's Key and take me straight to LFK to save time. But I'm sure that will take some time and my ship departs at 4:00. Is it worth it? The idea of some serenity is very appealing. Will need some R&R after 3 days of diving. Any thoughts?

Hi, not sure if this helps but I just booked with them for January. Larissa was very prompt responding and they totally knew our ship was only in port from 8 to 3. It sounds like they can get you from anywhere at anytime. I would definitely email them and they will respond promptly with all the details to your specific criteria. So far the communication has been very fast and top notch :D

Hi, not sure if this helps but I just booked with them for January. Larissa was very prompt responding and they totally knew our ship was only in port from 8 to 3. It sounds like they can get you from anywhere at anytime. I would definitely email them and they will respond promptly with all the details to your specific criteria. So far the communication has been very fast and top notch :D

I have been in contact with them, and they are great about accommodating my schedule.

I guess my question is; Is it worth it to go for so few hours?

LFK said they would pick me up at Anthony's Key and take me straight to LFK to save time. But I'm sure that will take some time and my ship departs at 4:00. Is it worth it?

So 10:30ish pickup to 3:00 drop off at port?

Yeah, do it. Tell us about it when you get back.

I'm going a week from today as a repeat customer. :D

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

So 10:30ish pickup to 3:00 drop off at port?

Yeah, do it. Tell us about it when you get back.

I'm going a week from today as a repeat customer. :D

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Thank you! I was really hoping someone who has been before, would think it was worth it. One more thing, what time would I have to leave LFK? In other words how long to get to Port (Coxen Hole)?

I just want to know how many hours I would have there

I'm gonna do it though, I just needed someone to tell me it wasn't crazy ;)

I will for sure tell you all about it when I get back. Hope you have great weather next week :)

Edited by whatsoverthathill

SO disappointed!!!! :mad: Not at LFK, but the fact that we had reservations here for Nov 26th the day our ship was scheduled to dock, but because of weather (high winds) we could not dock in Roatan. We missed Belize as well. We were so looking forward to this paradise.

Maybe another time we will get to come back.

SO disappointed!!!! :mad: Not at LFK, but the fact that we had reservations here for Nov 26th the day our ship was scheduled to dock, but because of weather (high winds) we could not dock in Roatan. We missed Belize as well. We were so looking forward to this paradise.

Maybe another time we will get to come back.

Oh no Pam! Sorry to hear that you missed 2 ports. That's a bummer. Hopefully you will get to go back sometime in the near future to experience LFK. :(

So sorry to hear that your ship missed the ports!

I'm interest in hearing more about the snorkeling tour that goes out to the reef. We have seen and heard so much about what LFK is like, but I can't find much info on the snorkel to the reef trip they offer. I'm not sure if it's because many don't go to if it's just not that great to talk about.

Our last trip to Roatan we went to West Bay and fell in love with snorkeling and if we go to LFK we would hate to be disappointed with the snorkeling. But we love what the island has to offer. We are also looking at Maya Key.