Little French Key?

Messunderstood

Just returned from Mariner of the Seas. We did the "all inclusive" package at the rate of $148 per person. We had booked this several months ago and like the people on the board said take your email.

The only part of the package that was wonderful was the Zipline! The guys that took us were fantastic. Loved it and I am afraid of heights. That is were the fun ended.

We were picked up after the zip line for the short ride to the pier for French Key. We waiting around for nearly 45 mins for a ferry to take us across to the caye. No one said a word to anyone until the ferry got there. We took the ferry over and when we arrived they started separating everyone by the color of wrist band they had. We did not get one. We asked were they were handing them out and was told at the bar on the mainland when you paid. We did not pay, no one said anything. So we had to find Larrissa and she took the money and came back with red bands. We were starving so we asked if we could go eat, She told us yes so we headed over to the little shack were the food was. Not many people there but still lines and no place to sit and eat. Finally we found 3 seats and went and got our food. It was cold except for the chicken which was still cooking that they would bring out later. Then we went to get drinks. DH got a beer, DS got a coke and I wanted water....no water was available. SO I asked for a pina colada and was told that only beer, soda, and water were included. I pulled out my email and it said all drinks so I again found Larrissa. She read it then said it was ok for them to pour me a drink. We finished lunch and walked around to the other side looking for some beach space...there is no beach! The place is surrounded by coral and signs saying do not enter. We sat down in some chairs (not lounges, saw none of those) and went to the little bar located on that side. Again we were told only beer, soda, and water. It was getting old now. Tracked down Larrissa yet again and asked her to mark our bands with something stating any drinks. We sat there for a few minutes then we were told the snorkel boat was leaving in 30 minutes. Walked over and hopped on it. Snorkeling was a joke. No fish only coral. They stopped the boat over the coral and everyone was getting back on the boat with cuts and blood running down there legs. Got back over the caye and decided enough was enough. Took the ferry back to the mainland and wanted to head back to the pier. We were asked about the rest of our group. Not knowing what they were talking about. Finally we found a kid there that gave us a ride back to the pier so we didn't have to wait for everyone else. No where did it say that everyone on the same shuttle had to head back at the same time.

For the money we paid and what we got it was a complete waste! The "zoo" is a bunch of pens with a few birds and maybe 3 monkeys; no guide like the ad says.

If you are looking for a day at the beach avoid this place!!!!!

Just returned from Mariner of the Seas. We did the "all inclusive" package at the rate of $148 per person. We had booked this several months ago and like the people on the board said take your email.

The only part of the package that was wonderful was the Zipline! The guys that took us were fantastic. Loved it and I am afraid of heights. That is were the fun ended.

We were picked up after the zip line for the short ride to the pier for French Key. We waiting around for nearly 45 mins for a ferry to take us across to the caye. No one said a word to anyone until the ferry got there. We took the ferry over and when we arrived they started separating everyone by the color of wrist band they had. We did not get one. We asked were they were handing them out and was told at the bar on the mainland when you paid. We did not pay, no one said anything. So we had to find Larrissa and she took the money and came back with red bands. We were starving so we asked if we could go eat, She told us yes so we headed over to the little shack were the food was. Not many people there but still lines and no place to sit and eat. Finally we found 3 seats and went and got our food. It was cold except for the chicken which was still cooking that they would bring out later. Then we went to get drinks. DH got a beer, DS got a coke and I wanted water....no water was available. SO I asked for a pina colada and was told that only beer, soda, and water were included. I pulled out my email and it said all drinks so I again found Larrissa. She read it then said it was ok for them to pour me a drink. We finished lunch and walked around to the other side looking for some beach space...there is no beach! The place is surrounded by coral and signs saying do not enter. We sat down in some chairs (not lounges, saw none of those) and went to the little bar located on that side. Again we were told only beer, soda, and water. It was getting old now. Tracked down Larrissa yet again and asked her to mark our bands with something stating any drinks. We sat there for a few minutes then we were told the snorkel boat was leaving in 30 minutes. Walked over and hopped on it. Snorkeling was a joke. No fish only coral. They stopped the boat over the coral and everyone was getting back on the boat with cuts and blood running down there legs. Got back over the caye and decided enough was enough. Took the ferry back to the mainland and wanted to head back to the pier. We were asked about the rest of our group. Not knowing what they were talking about. Finally we found a kid there that gave us a ride back to the pier so we didn't have to wait for everyone else. No where did it say that everyone on the same shuttle had to head back at the same time.

For the money we paid and what we got it was a complete waste! The "zoo" is a bunch of pens with a few birds and maybe 3 monkeys; no guide like the ad says.

If you are looking for a day at the beach avoid this place!!!!!

Oh wow- thanks for the feedback! I'll think we'll stick with our ressie with victor bodden and let his driver find us a nice beach for a few hours!

The 12th as well! Group of 11? Wow, sounds like fun! We are on the other ship in port that day.

Oooops I meant 3/12/13! How many in your group? I sure hope that Larissa and her husband are reading these posts! I'm nervous about our visit now. I also question the responses that I have been reading on trip advisor from the owners, any negative review is met with very back handed comments from the owner. It seems that they are not taking ownership of any negative aspects, their business is still under a year old and with every new business there are kinks to work out. I truly do hope that they can figure things out and run a successful buisness. In the mean time I'm wondering if my group needs to have a back up plan!?! :(

We did a lot of research on LFK, and thankfully booked at the $65 rate earlier this year. During this past summer when package descriptions and rates were changing quite often, we knew there would be some hiccups once we had our day. Again, bring your email! Here are some of our observations for those that want to compare to older posts, and future posts. It really is an incredibly beautiful place, water was pristine on our day. Dave was not at the port when we disembarked. Confusion there finding the LFK rep/driver. We were dropped off at Frenchy's 44 and it felt a bit awkward sitting around there since no one greeted us and we were kind of in the dark on what happens next. Same when we arrived the key, not much (really none) communication on how things work, when lunch is served, etc. We did notice others going over their email with a staff member and I assume it was to point out how many/what kind of drinks were included in their package. The lunch was outstanding. The staff very attentive if you were looking for a drink, not so much if you were looking for another float chair or mask setup. The music too loud and a little too hip hop for us, but music is very subjective. The rains came when we were loading up on the boat back to Frenchy's, we were backing out when the bartender came running and confronted 2 guest. Realized that he deducted the cost of 2 beers from their total tab, when in fact their package included no free drinks. We had to wait for the guest to go back and settle up. Don't forget that they add a 15% alcohol tax! We enjoyed our day there with approx 20 people. I don't know if we would have enjoyed it with more than that. As I said, we paid $65 each, and I suppose it was worth it, but I know that we would not return at today's rate.

Our overall opinion is this: Beautiful, Shaky communication, needs to be more guest friendly, now overpriced.

Edited by amor1964

Keylimepie, I have a group of 11 friends booked for 3/12/13, when are you booked? Two ships are scheduled for that day as well.

Port of Roatan March 12, 2013

Norwegian Dawn, Crown Princess

Port Load 5,344

Our family group of 5 on the KP are still going. Will provide a review once we can. :)

Rick

Edited by sminfiddle

No complaints from us. My son and I visited LFK last Wednesday with the $88 package. We had a really good time. We did show our email, but not a problem. The island is really beautiful and we had no problem getting our two drinks...Son had rum runners and I had a Pina Colada and a Miami Vice. We purchased a couple of other drinks during the day too. Staff just kept a tab running that we took care of prior to leaving. There were only about 30 people on the island with us and plenty of beach chairs. There is an area to snorkel right from the beach and people were doing that. Also kids were having a great time riding around on kayaks and playing in the sand. We didn't do any add on activities so I can't comment on them. We parked our butts in floating lounge chairs after a really delicious lunch and just enjoyed the water. My son thought the lunch was better food than anything we got on the cruise ship. Yes, the zoo is only a few monkeys and some birds, but we still enjoyed looking around. I guess for us, a day of relaxing without 4,000 of our friends from the cruise ship and enjoying the hospitality of a really nice couple on their private island was well worth what we paid. My son (25) commented that we really met some great people who made us feel very welcome. I could'nt agree more.

No complaints from us. My son and I visited LFK last Wednesday with the $88 package. We had a really good time. We did show our email, but not a problem. The island is really beautiful and we had no problem getting our two drinks...Son had rum runners and I had a Pina Colada and a Miami Vice. We purchased a couple of other drinks during the day too. Staff just kept a tab running that we took care of prior to leaving. There were only about 30 people on the island with us and plenty of beach chairs. There is an area to snorkel right from the beach and people were doing that. Also kids were having a great time riding around on kayaks and playing in the sand. We didn't do any add on activities so I can't comment on them. We parked our butts in floating lounge chairs after a really delicious lunch and just enjoyed the water. My son thought the lunch was better food than anything we got on the cruise ship. Yes, the zoo is only a few monkeys and some birds, but we still enjoyed looking around. I guess for us, a day of relaxing without 4,000 of our friends from the cruise ship and enjoying the hospitality of a really nice couple on their private island was well worth what we paid. My son (25) commented that we really met some great people who made us feel very welcome. I could'nt agree more.

Thrilled to read your comments. When I first read about LFK on Trip Advisor, I was firm in that our group of 4 HAD to go there! Then I read the comments from November and early December and started to have misgivings. I'm back to excited - from photos it looks like I imagine Bali...

Hello, I was at LFK last week and we had a great time. We did the $98 package with had the snorkeling tour (This was our first time doing that) - They took us out on a boat a little way out and then a ride back. You can also take the kayak out to a floating pier and do it yourself at the reef.

I heard the beach at the carnival dock is not that big (which it isn't) and the idea of looking at the ship did not seem that exciting. I rec'd an email confirming my reservation and was given directions where to meet Dave. He got us there but when we arrived they did not have my name down. No big deal - they got us set up with a wrist band. It was our first cruise and we enjoyed the place and like others said the lunch was by far one of the better meals on the trip. I wish we had more time there - they did make us feel welcomed and made sure we got back to the dock on time. As others have said they have not been open that long and are working on things.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions - I'm not sure how too post pics on here

Yes you can take the Kayak out to the snorkel area - there is a place to tie up the kayak - A few people did that when we were there. We took the boat as they took us out farther as our group wanted to go out farther.

It is not that far to kayak out - the water is not that deep in some areas and your kayak will hit the bottom if you don't watch where you are agoing

Edited by iowa-traveler

• 2 weeks later...

Little French Key on Roatan was the highlight of our cruise.

It was quite a hike out from the port to meet Dave, but we had good directions and there were several tour operators there with signage, so no worries, we found them easily. Based on several prior comments with regards to confusions about which package was reserved, I had printed my e-mail and all was well. I would suggest that you bring cash, and cash in small bills, since the govt takes 12% of it if you want to use a credit card.

There were 4 ships in port that day and LFK was full (maybe 125 people?) but we never felt crowded. There was plenty of room throughout the key and there were many available lounge chairs (unlike on the ship!!!). I had to wait a few minutes for a kayak, which was no big deal, I just ordered another drink and sat in the water.

Food was a fixed meal of grilled shrimp, chicken, beef, salsa, rice and beans. It was a nice filling meal. Even my picky child enjoyed it. Drinks were good. Try the Salva Vida beer.

The staff was awesome, we tipped them generously in the 'community pot'. FYI, the drivers do not share in this pot, so we left another tip for them.

I would highly recommend Little French Key, and am so glad that I discovered it here on Cruise Critic!

Just came back and visited Little French Key last week. It was paradise!

From the moment we were picked up, we did not want to leave. We played with Romeo their pet spider monkey, Leo the owners son opened up a coconut which we fed him. We snorkeled off a reef just off the island. Lunch was great.

This is a trip not to be missed!

This is real paradise - a little, privately owned island surrounded by clean turquoise water, with the friendliest owners and personnel. The island is very clean, good drinks and a nice lunch. Very good for snorkeling, swimming, kayaking, relaxing and having fun. We were on LFK on my wife's birthday and she told me, it was on of her best birthdays (from some!).

It is normally not crowed - only a few people - but even with a bigger group you can have your own private space. Enjoy and say hello to Larissa and Moshe (owners).

Peter

THANK YOU, DECEMBER LFK-ers!!! As of this morning I had all but convinced myself that our group would NOT continue with the LFK plan. (Had a little cancer-thingy removed from the bridge of my nose at 7:45 a.m. today :eek: and was convinced that the previous cautionary posts and the cancer-thingy were God's signs.) These December reviews re-lit my excitement candle and my Dermatologist said I can go in the sun - just apply SPF 50 before and every 30 minutes. LFK - here we come!!! (I honestly believe it is the closest I'll ever come to experiencing Bali:p)

Mary

Just tell the driver that picks you up at the port (most likely the same driver that will return you) what time you want to be picked up at Frenchy's 44. They will pick up whenever you request. We were picked up early and our driver took us to a few shops outside of the port area. Lower prices and negotiable.

THANK YOU, DECEMBER LFK-ers!!! As of this morning I had all but convinced myself that our group would NOT continue with the LFK plan. (Had a little cancer-thingy removed from the bridge of my nose at 7:45 a.m. today :eek: and was convinced that the previous cautionary posts and the cancer-thingy were God's signs.) These December reviews re-lit my excitement candle and my Dermatologist said I can go in the sun - just apply SPF 50 before and every 30 minutes. LFK - here we come!!! (I honestly believe it is the closest I'll ever come to experiencing Bali:p)

Mary

I concur! I had started having worries as well but definately feel comfortable with our plans again and looking forward to this day.

Mary, please post a review after your cruise and let us know how it was. I'm glad everything is your cancer-thingy and keep that little nose covered!

Thanks December posters!

• 5 weeks later...
OK, I just received a reply from Little French Key. I asked them to clarify the options for the two drinks, and also asked them if they limit guests and informed them of some reports of overcrowding. Here's the answers they sent.

"First, what is included in the two drinks that are a part of our

package? ANY SODA, BEER, OR RUM PUNCH, WATER, JUICES

Second, do you limit the number of guests that you have each day? YES

I have seen some recent reports of overcrowding there and accepting cruise line excursions. WE WERE PACKED ONE DAY ON THANKSGIVING NOV 21, 2012, WHEN IT ALSO RAINED VERY HEAVILY, ALMOST 8 INCHES IN ONE DAY, NON STOP, AND A LARGE GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT HAD RESERVED FOR NOV 22, 2012 BY MISTAKE ALSO SHOWED UP ON NOVEMBER 21, 2012 INSTEAD, WITH 4 CRUISE SHIP IN PORT OF ROATAN, A TRUE RARITY.....AND BEING THAT IT WAS THANKSGIVING, AFTER ALL,

WE DID NOT WANT TO TURN THEM AWAY FOR THEIR INNOCENT MISTAKE AND OVERSIGHT....HEAVY RAIN DID NOT HELP THE SITUATION...."

So, for me, that eases my mind and I think we will stay with our original choice to go there. There are only two ships scheduled to be in port the day we are there, and whether or not I agree with how they handled the overbooked situation recently, I don't think we'll be facing the same problem on our day in port. Will report back after our visit!

I just inquired about what drinks were included. I received an email today stating, "The drink choices anything you choose no restrictions." So it looks like things have changed for the better in that respect.

I'm just lurking this thread but had to laugh out loud at the "giving them too much information already". So familiar with that, planning a trip for 12 including parents, brother's family, sister. They get overwhelmed and weirdly uninterested quickly (except sister in law who is fabulous and obsessed like me). Just hoping that uninterested isn't replaced by lots of opinionation/saying they wish they had a chance to pick something different during the actual trip as though they weren't given the choice earlier. Happy thoughts! And happy drinks lol.

They get overwhelmed and weirdly uninterested quickly

It's gotten a bit better: My 18 yo daughter actually Googled "Monkey La-La" and asked about the drinking age in Honduras. :D

And I have mastered remarkable restraint over my chronic "Cruise Mouth" :rolleyes:

I would really like to go on this one but at 88.00 per person, 196.00 for the 2 of us, I think they have just priced themselves out of the market.

Isn't it $176 for two? Don't know if that helps.