Little French Key?

Messunderstood

Tips werent included as far as i know - we tipped the guy that showed us around the island, took care of us and we tipped our driver

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Jules,

Thank you for responding. I thought it rather odd that tipping wasn't mentioned in ANY posts on this thread - which, by the way, I love!

Not to sound as though I've just stumbled into civilization after a lifetime alone on a deserted mountaintop, but ...

What would be stand tipping for this sort of activity/excursion? I know I sound dense, or as another put it BLONDE :eek: bahaha...but we've never done excursions on any of our previous 5 cruises. (Husband says he's not paying good money to get off of a ship he paid to vacation on....this time, I'm rebelling and plan to see/experience the various places...)

Thanks!

Mary

I think we each (4 of us in our group) gave the island host/guide $5. I think we gave our driver $10 total. Dont know if that is "standard" or not - think it is what you feel is appropriate. Glad you are going to explore - that is one of my favorite parts, seeing ans experiencing new places.

I think we each (4 of us in our group) gave the island host/guide $5. I think we gave our driver $10 total. Dont know if that is "standard" or not - think it is what you feel is appropriate. Glad you are going to explore - that is one of my favorite parts, seeing ans experiencing new places.

Last time we experienced this Paradise, we had a fantastic day with Victor Boddens. We'll be going to LFK this trip and can't wait.:p

We were there less than 2 weeks ago. Looking at our bill now: Pina Coladas were $7. Rum and cokes/rum and fruit juice, etc. $5. Monkey Lala (speciality) $7.

Miller lite $4. Rum Punch $6. And Salva Vida local beer $3.

They add a 15% "alcohol tax" to your end-of-day bill that we never knew about.

Enjoy!

Larissa from Little French Key is very helpful and answers emails fairly quickly, she sent me this when I asked her about the cost of extra drinks:

How much are additional drinks? I ask this regarding package IV for

$98 that only includes 2 drinks! BEERS AND MIXED DRINKS ARE @ $5, SODAS @ $2....blended speciality drinks @ $7

We were just there last week and their policy is that the two drinks in the package are only water, beer, and soda. If you want a mixed drink or blended drink it is extra. There were some people that successfully traded both of their drinks for one blended drink.

Note that there is no drinking water on the island other than bottled water, which counts as one of your "drinks", so bring water with you.

Maybe it's just me, but the drinks sound expensive to me. Sounds like ship prices and not island prices. We were thinking about doing Little French Key but now I'm not so sure. I received an e-mail from Larisa a couple weeks ago and the entire place seems expensive to me considering what you get. If I am missing something please let me know, the reveiws are great but it sounds expensive for what you get.

Maybe it's just me, but the drinks sound expensive to me. Sounds like ship prices and not island prices. We were thinking about doing Little French Key but now I'm not so sure. I received an e-mail from Larisa a couple weeks ago and the entire place seems expensive to me considering what you get. If I am missing something please let me know, the reveiws are great but it sounds expensive for what you get.

Perhaps we ended up there on a bad day, however it was our impression (shared by several others we met there as well) that they are over-booking. They made it sound like a secluded resort, with limited guests. That was not our experience. There had to have been at least 100+ people there that day. There were lines for food, not enough kayaks (we only saw four), and not enough shade/umbrellas. At least three ships were in port that day. They do not have the facilities to handle large groups. It also rained that afternoon and there was not enough covered areas so that everyone could stay dry.

There was even an excursion group from Holland America that came to Little French Key while we were there!

We plan to try something different when we're back in Roatan next spring.

Perhaps we ended up there on a bad day, however it was our impression (shared by several others we met there as well) that they are over-booking. They made it sound like a secluded resort, with limited guests. That was not our experience. There had to have been at least 100+ people there that day. There were lines for food, not enough kayaks (we only saw four), and not enough shade/umbrellas. At least three ships were in port that day. They do not have the facilities to handle large groups. It also rained that afternoon and there was not enough covered areas so that everyone could stay dry.

There was even an excursion group from Holland America that came to Little French Key while we were there!

Thanks for posting the additional info... since I first contacted them in June the rates have gone up over $20pp, then the "2 drinks of choice" are now 2 beer, water, canned soda... We also booked 2 snorkel excursions and 1 dive from them with pretty hefty price tags, think I'm going to see what else we can find. For our family of 6 the bill is already over $650 before having any real drinks of choice. Glad you posted about a ship tour being there, the way it has been presented is that there are few people with plenty of water floats, kayaks, etc. this is not looking as much like paradise as we thought. :(

Hopefully others will come back and share their experiences at Little French Key! I have planned an excursion there for our girls cruise in January, and would be extremely upset if they are taking cruise line excursions there!! I'm already concerned that the two drinks don't include any alcohol except beer. For the price we're paying, it should definitely be closer to an AI. If they have started over booking as well, then we would change to Maya Key in a heartbeat.

Since I organized our excursions and talked everyone into this one despite the price, I'm gonna be the one everyone's mad at if they've changed this much. LOL! Think I will email them as well as hope we get more reports.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Since I organized our excursions and talked everyone into this one despite the price, I'm gonna be the one everyone's mad at if they've changed this much. LOL! Think I will email them as well as hope we get more reports.

Emailing them is a good idea. They were responsive to my emails before we came and it actually helped us out since we had asked about what "drink of choice" meant by email. The reply was that it meant anything, so when we were there and ordered a rum punch and got told it wasn't included, we showed them the email and they relented. However we got told that it wasn't policy but they'd honor the email.

It would be interesting to get them to comment on whether or not they will cap attendance on the day you're there. It didn't seem to us that they turned anyone away... there were multiple walk-ins that took the van ride to Frenchy's 44 who didn't have reservations. They gladly took their money and added them to the crowd.

Perhaps we just caught a bad day, so hopefully your experience will be better.

I haven't told my family group that I booked this (excursion to Little French instead of a Mahogany Cabana) yet. They act like I am giving them Too Much Information already.

There are only two ships in port the day we're there in March. I'm giving them a shot and will post a review here.

And I sent Moshe an email clarifying drink-of-choice. Not a deal-breaker but I'd like to know in advance.

Thanks for the tips!

Rick

Edited by sminfiddle
always gotta fiddle with stuff

Rick,

You are very welcome.....Any kind of Soda, Coke, Orange Soda, Sprite,

water,Orange juice, pinapple Juice, V8, any beer we carry, Corona, Miller

light, Port Royale, Salva Vida, Imperial, Barena, and rum punch:)

Let me know.....

Kind Regards,

Moshe

LFK

You are very welcome.....Any kind of Soda, Coke, Orange Soda, Sprite,

water,Orange juice, pinapple Juice, V8, any beer we carry, Corona, Miller

light, Port Royale, Salva Vida, Imperial, Barena, and rum punch:)

Fascinating. Just last week we were explicitly told by several staff (including the lady who collected all the money who acted like a manager) that rum punch was not included in the drink of choice.

We ordered a rum punch. When it was delivered, they told us they'd open a tab for the charge ($7). We told them it should be no charge. That person went away and then later another one came to say the same thing. We showed them the email we had that said two drinks meant "anything, including mixed drinks and frozen drinks". That person went away and then the manager lady came over, requested to see the email, took it away for awhile, and then returned and said they'd honor the email.

The whole experience left a bad taste with us.

Yeah, it sounds like a very awkward scene - but that's probably why rum punch is on the list now. With a smiley no less. Guess they're still in "flux" on the details, sorry you had to kind of blaze the trail with a little confrontation.:(

If my girls are dead-set on a Monkey LaLa, I'll be prepared to pay $7 for it now so thanks for the heads up!

Still looking forward to it. We'll be there in March so the rainy season should be done.

Rick

Yep, make sure that you bring a copy of all emails. Glad we did a few weeks ago. We had booked a long time ago at the rate of $65 per person. I must have been asked for that confirmation paper 4 times by 4 different people. The rate was honored, but it wasn't easy. Paid cash at LFK before leaving, no change available, they called Frenchy's 44 to let them know that I would be collecting change there. Not a soul knew anything about the phone call. Again went through 3 people until the owner produced the change from his pocket based on my word. 2 ships in port day, about 20 total people including a few that were vacationing on Roatan and paid day rates. The food is very very good, and the folks friendly enough. It really is a beautiful place, and would love to go back, but at the current (rising) rates we would probably not return unless it was AI.

Yep, make sure that you bring a copy of all emails. Glad we did a few weeks ago. We had booked a long time ago at the rate of $65 per person. I must have been asked for that confirmation paper 4 times by 4 different people. The rate was honored, but it wasn't easy. Paid cash at LFK before leaving, no change available, they called Frenchy's 44 to let them know that I would be collecting change there. Not a soul knew anything about the phone call. Again went through 3 people until the owner produced the change from his pocket based on my word. 2 ships in port day, about 20 total people including a few that were vacationing on Roatan and paid day rates. The food is very very good, and the folks friendly enough. It really is a beautiful place, and would love to go back, but at the current (rising) rates we would probably not return unless it was AI.

Well, I emailed them a few days ago asking for clarification on what is available for the two included drinks. Also asked them if there was any kind of limit on the number of guests per day. I've yet to hear back from them.

If I don't, I think we'll change our plans. It was already bordering on too expensive at the higher rates that we were given. With that now not including any decent drinks, and the hassle people are having, it may not be worth it.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

OK, I just received a reply from Little French Key. I asked them to clarify the options for the two drinks, and also asked them if they limit guests and informed them of some reports of overcrowding. Here's the answers they sent.

"First, what is included in the two drinks that are a part of our

package? ANY SODA, BEER, OR RUM PUNCH, WATER, JUICES

Second, do you limit the number of guests that you have each day? YES

I have seen some recent reports of overcrowding there and accepting cruise line excursions. WE WERE PACKED ONE DAY ON THANKSGIVING NOV 21, 2012, WHEN IT ALSO RAINED VERY HEAVILY, ALMOST 8 INCHES IN ONE DAY, NON STOP, AND A LARGE GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT HAD RESERVED FOR NOV 22, 2012 BY MISTAKE ALSO SHOWED UP ON NOVEMBER 21, 2012 INSTEAD, WITH 4 CRUISE SHIP IN PORT OF ROATAN, A TRUE RARITY.....AND BEING THAT IT WAS THANKSGIVING, AFTER ALL,

WE DID NOT WANT TO TURN THEM AWAY FOR THEIR INNOCENT MISTAKE AND OVERSIGHT....HEAVY RAIN DID NOT HELP THE SITUATION...."

So, for me, that eases my mind and I think we will stay with our original choice to go there. There are only two ships scheduled to be in port the day we are there, and whether or not I agree with how they handled the overbooked situation recently, I don't think we'll be facing the same problem on our day in port. Will report back after our visit!

Hopefully they are correct that the 21st was an exception, but they never said any words of apology to us when we were there that day.

I do know that there were several people who walked up to Dave (their driver coordinator at the pier) and said "we don't have a reservation but would like to go". He said "no problem" and sent them with the driver.

If they had any sense of crowd control, you'd think they'd tell Dave to turn away people who didn't have reservations when they know it's a busy day!

At least it seems like they're aware of the concerns and will try to do better in the future. There are several negative reviews just posted on the big advisor site... seems like all of us were there on that day.

OK, I just received a reply from Little French Key. I asked them to clarify the options for the two drinks, and also asked them if they limit guests and informed them of some reports of overcrowding. Here's the answers they sent.

"First, what is included in the two drinks that are a part of our

package? ANY SODA, BEER, OR RUM PUNCH, WATER, JUICES

Second, do you limit the number of guests that you have each day? YES

I have seen some recent reports of overcrowding there and accepting cruise line excursions. WE WERE PACKED ONE DAY ON THANKSGIVING NOV 21, 2012, WHEN IT ALSO RAINED VERY HEAVILY, ALMOST 8 INCHES IN ONE DAY, NON STOP, AND A LARGE GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT HAD RESERVED FOR NOV 22, 2012 BY MISTAKE ALSO SHOWED UP ON NOVEMBER 21, 2012 INSTEAD, WITH 4 CRUISE SHIP IN PORT OF ROATAN, A TRUE RARITY.....AND BEING THAT IT WAS THANKSGIVING, AFTER ALL,

WE DID NOT WANT TO TURN THEM AWAY FOR THEIR INNOCENT MISTAKE AND OVERSIGHT....HEAVY RAIN DID NOT HELP THE SITUATION...."

So, for me, that eases my mind and I think we will stay with our original choice to go there. There are only two ships scheduled to be in port the day we are there, and whether or not I agree with how they handled the overbooked situation recently, I don't think we'll be facing the same problem on our day in port. Will report back after our visit!

Thanks for looking into this. We are reserved there in March during Spring Break...I was starting to get a little worried after these recent reviews. I checked and we only have 2 ships in port that day as well, so hopefully no major problems with crowds. I understand them wanting to accommodate people, especially for a holiday, it just didn't go well and the weather just complicated things. A big learning experience for them I'm sure.

I'm so sorry for those of you whose day in Paradise didn't turn out as hoped. I can only imagine how disappointed you were.

How many passengers fit in the LFK van/vans?

It seems to vary as it appears they have arrangements with multiple drivers. In our case, our trip to LFK was on a fairly large van which held maybe 12 or so.

Our return trip was in a smaller SUV that could maybe hold 6.

Thanks for looking into this. We are reserved there in March during Spring Break...I was starting to get a little worried after these recent reviews. I checked and we only have 2 ships in port that day as well, so hopefully no major problems with crowds. I understand them wanting to accommodate people, especially for a holiday, it just didn't go well and the weather just complicated things. A big learning experience for them I'm sure.

I'm so sorry for those of you whose day in Paradise didn't turn out as hoped. I can only imagine how disappointed you were.

Keylimepie, I have a group of 11 friends booked for 3/12/12, when are you booked? Two ships are scheduled for that day as well.

Keylimepie, I have a group of 11 friends booked for 3/12/12, when are you booked? Two ships are scheduled for that day as well.

The 12th as well! Group of 11? Wow, sounds like fun! We are on the other ship in port that day.

Edited by keylimepie
typo

The 12th as well! Group of 11? Wow, sounds like fun! We are on the other ship in port that day.

we are booked for the week of march 25th- can either or both of you come back on the thread when you return and let me know how it went?

thanks!