Tipping room service, how many $1 bills for 13 day cruise?

In Australia our smallest paper note is $5.00. Our notes are colourful and plasticated and have a hologram. We have coins for $1 and $2. In Europe on RCL cruises, if we decide to tip room service are USD going to be ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you will be fine with USD or Euros in Europe for tipping room service.

In the US people won't use the $1 coins. Different $1 coins have been introduced but they don't catch on. Some in congress want to get rid of the $1 bill to force people to use the $1 coins. That would be as a cost saving measure as coins last longer.

They are rarely used in the US. I have never recieved a $2 bill in change from a merchant. When I have dealt with cash sales none ever paid with a $2 bill. Never have used a $2 bill either for a tip or purchase.

What is in the mind of people who tip with $2 bills on cruises is not to carry less bills, it is to make themselves more visible, be conspicous, be cute and/or maybe get some special treatment on the cruise. They are not using them at home.

I think it is a weird for those reasons above to give them out, and crew have told me they would rather not get them, but I am sure the crew will find a way to use them. So if it turns a person on or gives them joy to pass out $2 bills as tips for whatever reason...... I guess to each their own, go ahead.

I guess one could say the same about you replying in such a manner and adding nothing meaningful to the thread...

and me for biting. I apologize in advance.

On Celebrity we rarely tip for each delivery of room serivce in Aqua class or suites, What we find works best is taking the time to right "attention to Detail" ADT's ...Staff we know say it goes so much further then a dollar or 2, The more they have the better for promotions etc for all employees, usually the HD will respond to each ADT and also post it in the staff area and on the Company system that Maimi office watches

We have seen previous staff on following cruises remember us and thank us for the ADT's on previous cruises that helped them get promoted or a better deck of Staterooms etc...Sometimes getting to know the staff and remeber the names of each person that services you can mean more to them then a few dollars. of course we tip everyone, but room serivce just not every single time

Just suggestion, you can of couse tip also to your liking ;) , but I encourage everyone to take a few moments to write about the individual that served you room service a few times :)

Giving someone $2 to deliver a pot of coffee so that I can sip it on the balcony in my robe is the best investment I've ever made.

I think that the PP meant that s/he tips $3 for tea and dessert or $5 for complete dinner, not $8 for a meal plus tea and dessert. I could be wrong, though. I was once.

Giving someone $2 to deliver a pot of coffee so that I can sip it on the balcony in my robe is the best investment I've ever made.

I think that the PP meant that s/he tips $3 for tea and dessert or $5 for complete dinner, not $8 for a meal plus tea and dessert. I could be wrong, though. I was once.

That is exactly what I meant.

To Toronto25.....I can't even imagine ordering room service and not giving so much as a couple of dollars. But that is a personal choice and it is more cultural (my husband is Canadian....but he is one of the most generous men I've ever known).

Money is a hot topic.....watch any church congregation start to squirm every time tithing is discussed. It's not by accident that money is so polarizing. I just figure none of it is really mine and all my basic needs will be met, and they always are....and I am very lucky in so many ways. I hope to always be generous with His money.

:-)

Yes, you will be fine with USD or Euros in Europe for tipping room service.

In the US people won't use the $1 coins. Different $1 coins have been introduced but they don't catch on. Some in congress want to get rid of the $1 bill to force people to use the $1 coins. That would be as a cost saving measure as coins last longer.

Thanks Charles. Our city bank gave me a $100 wad of brand new bills a few weeks ago still in their wrapper. Lucky they were $1.00 notes. ;). Shame they weren't $100 notes though!:o

Totally agree and I am an Aussie (but I do "get" tipping and I do it here too!)

To Toronto25.....I can't even imagine ordering room service and not giving so much as a couple of dollars.

I agree and I love the smile you receive when they realise that you have given them a tip. Priceless and worth $2 to me, and as I said before, I'm an Aussie. I tipped recently on a Cunard ship in Australia which was full of Aussies and I think a lot of British people. So not much tipping happening. They were so excited when I gave room service a tip.

At the service counter the line was full of people removing the auto tip that had been placed on their account. Meh, I was having such a lovely time that if I could afford the cruise I could afford the tip.

I realise I have prattled in on a Celebrity cruises thread but I just like anything "boat". :D

To Toronto25.....I can't even imagine ordering room service and not giving so much as a couple of dollars. But that is a personal choice and it is more cultural (my husband is Canadian....but he is one of the most generous men I've ever known).

Money is a hot topic.....watch any church congregation start to squirm every time tithing is discussed. It's not by accident that money is so polarizing. I just figure none of it is really mine and all my basic needs will be met, and they always are....and I am very lucky in so many ways. I hope to always be generous with His money.

We don't go to church we are atheist so no idea on church terms.. I never said we do not tip I just find that we do not need to do it all week each time, when our butler and room steward is the one delivering something we have always tipped extra at the end of the week in addition to auto grats.

We have never agreed on the act of tipping a few dollars at the start of the cruise either it seems to us like giving treats to a dog to do tricks in the hopes to get more and more treats when they do more tricks

We are a generous couple who tip more then appropriate amounts and additionally have taken time to ensure by way of cards and ATD's how much each member of The crew meant to us over the cruise

Our Facebook is full of staff members from all levels and we keep in touch with all of them from bar staff, waiters, maitre D's, HD's, room stewards and Butlers etc some even Facebook us requests of specific things they miss from home to see if we can purchase some from Specialty stores in Toronto

My comments were not too suggest not tipping ever it was just to suggest another effective way that staff on Celebrity know how much you enjoyed the service they provided

:)

What does bother us is when people remove the Auto tips and then never tip anyone :( that's awful

And what's even worse is so many people who can't say Thank you anymore

For the record we do tip more the suggested Incase it was not clear in my posts :)

...We have never agreed on the act of tipping a few dollars at the start of the cruise either it seems to us like giving treats to a dog to do tricks in the hopes to get more and more treats when they do more tricks

We are a generous couple who tip more then appropriate amounts and additionally have taken time to ensure by way of cards and ATD's how much each member of The crew meant to us over the cruise

Our Facebook is full of staff members from all levels and we keep in touch with all of them from bar staff, waiters, maitre D's, HD's, room stewards and Butlers etc some even Facebook us requests of specific things they miss from home to see if we can purchase some from Specialty stores in Toronto

My comments were not too suggest not tipping ever it was just to suggest another effective way that staff on Celebrity know how much you enjoyed the service they provided... :)

What does bother us is when people remove the Auto tips and then never tip anyone :( that's awful

And what's even worse is so many people who can't say Thank you anymore

For the record we do tip more the suggested Incase it was not clear in my posts :)

Hey Toronto25... I like your approach very much! Interesting to see your comments about your Facebook page. Also, wish we could afford to cruise as often as you obviously do! I'm quite envious. :)

I love to tip too. It feels good to make others feel like they have gone above the call of duty. :) I just don't like someone else telling me how to do it. :rolleyes: And to the poster that mentioned about money being a touchy subject and to just watch when a preacher mentions tithing - just watch him/her mention a 'building program' and watch them scatter ;)

What is in the mind of people who tip with $2 bills on cruises is not to carry less bills, it is to make themselves more visible, be conspicous, be cute and/or maybe get some special treatment on the cruise. They are not using them at home.

I think it is a weird for those reasons above to give them out, and crew have told me they would rather not get them, but I am sure the crew will find a way to use them. So if it turns a person on or gives them joy to pass out $2 bills as tips for whatever reason...... I guess to each their own, go ahead.

I am simply stating the fact in answer to the person from the UK who has not seen them in trips to the US that people use them to stand out. Two dollar bills don't normally circulate. It is like people who spray their hair purple, pink or green. It is a way of getting attention. If that is your personality, go for it!

You seem to be saying that being rude to the staff by inconveniencing them is okay? Whatever, it is your vacation....

I apologize to others in advance, as I usually attempt to restrain myself from responding to ridiculous posts...but

Sir, please enlighten me...How exactly am I, or someone else, trying to stand out, be cute, get special treatment, gain attention etc...if, in the privacy of my cabin I happen to give the Room Service staff member a tip with a $2 bill ? or perhaps include a $2 bill with other cash in a sealed, end-of-cruise, extra tip envelope I may happen to slip a special staff member?

Secondly...after all these years..when my wife and her friends, and even my son on occasion have sprayed/dyed their hair pink, or put pink extensions in, I always thought it was because they were showing support for another friend(s) who was/were celebrating another year of breast cancer survival...or perhaps undergoing their first round of chemo after breast cancer surgery. I never knew it was because they were trying to get attention !!??

My point being...you have know idea...unless you ask, why someone might spray/dye their hair purple, pink or green...or perhaps even Clairol Auburn Brown !!

Thirdly...I guess since it is rude to give staff a $2 bill...it would also be much worse if say I were to give them a $500 bill...since it is in fact quite rarer than a $2 ? Somehow I think they will gladly tolerate the inconvenience to deposit it or send it home !! I have always received genuine appreciation for whatever cash tip I might give a staff member...and never once since my first cruise in 1974 have I ever received a reaction that led me to believe they thought I was being rude !

Venting done...I now revert to my normal routine of not responding to posts that irk me !!:D

Happy Cruising !

Woody

Archived