SS Antoinette - Castles Along the Rhine 2013

Buck1949

We didn't mind the bus rides into town, either. The commentaries by the guides made the time pass quickly. We did use the subway from the ship to St. Pete when we had free time. The walk to the Moscow station from the ship is a bit longer, but you do walk through parks used by the locals, which is interesting. We chose Uniworld for Russia after only one cruise with them as we were impressed by how they handled a schedule change due to high water, among other things. While every river cruise ship in Russia looks the same from the outside, when we crossed through other ships when double or triple docked, ours looked the most modern. And we liked that Uniworld had turned a walking deck into balconies for the deck we were on. We sat out there & watched the riverbanks go by more than once, although it was also great in the evenings on the front observation deck. (We were there close to the long "summer white nights.") I think you will have rather hot weather in August. You might want to take anti-mosquito spray as on one stretch, although it wasn't really very warm yet for us, mosquitos did board the ship, and seemed to like the computer room! Also, I enjoyed the Russian language sessions on board.

Anyway, we are looking forward to being pampered on the Antoinette and wish you a great voyage, too.

Ugh!!!!!! Mosquitos? Bummer. One reason that we picked the early August date was what we thought was good weather. We checked the weather history for that date range and it appeared (historically) to be in the mid 70's during the day and mid 60's at night. BUT..... Did not see mention of Mosquitos anywhere. 'Grin'.

I do have a question for you. Did you have any trouble with getting a Russian visa? And from where did you obtain yours? Sounds like getting the visa can be a bit if a headache from what I have read.

Thanks for the great information.

Ugh!!!!!! Mosquitos? Bummer. One reason that we picked the early August date was what we thought was good weather. We checked the weather history for that date range and it appeared (historically) to be in the mid 70's during the day and mid 60's at night. BUT..... Did not see mention of Mosquitos anywhere. 'Grin'.

I do have a question for you. Did you have any trouble with getting a Russian visa? And from where did you obtain yours? Sounds like getting the visa can be a bit if a headache from what I have read.

Thanks for the great information.

After we booked, Uniworld pointed us to the Zierer Visa Service website, where we downloaded the application to complete & send to them with the fee. The application takes a while to complete; you can start & go back to it. Rather detailed questions, such as your work history & organizations you belong to, etc. But once we submitted it, it worked out fine.

After we booked, Uniworld pointed us to the Zierer Visa Service website, where we downloaded the application to complete & send to them with the fee. The application takes a while to complete; you can start & go back to it. Rather detailed questions, such as your work history & organizations you belong to, etc. But once we submitted it, it worked out fine.

Thank you for the information.... someone also mentioned going to the Russian Consulate office.... which I think we have one of in Phoenix. Will have to check.

Thanks once again....and

Merry Christmas !!

Using a consulate would be good, too, I suppose. If I remember correctly, we had to send our passports with the application (multiple copies, I think) to Zierer's office in San Francisco (we are in LA area), which was unnerving. From what I've heard, we ask as many intrusive questions of Russians wanting US visas as they do of us.

Merry Christmas to you, too!

Linda

Using a consulate would be good, too, I suppose. If I remember correctly, we had to send our passports with the application (multiple copies, I think) to Zierer's office in San Francisco (we are in LA area), which was unnerving. From what I've heard, we ask as many intrusive questions of Russians wanting US visas as they do of us.

Merry Christmas to you, too!

Linda

Ooops - no Russian Consulate office in the Phoenix area - so looks like using the online service is going to be the way. Sure don't like handing off my passport but guess there really isn't any alternative.