SS Antoinette - Castles Along the Rhine 2013

Buck1949

Just booked Paris to Normandy October 2013, but thinking of switching over to the Castles on the Rhine River cruise to leave in late September instead if they have any rooms left. Hoping to stay in Paris for 4 nights then take the train over to Basel.

I believe any cruise line for October Europe sailings are sold out or only have category 4 rooms left. Would we be sorry if we had a category 4(or don't go at all)? It looks like a lovely cruise, but I am wondering if a cabin in that level would be a let down. But we are flexible.

Sorry, I can't be of much help. This is my first ever river cruise so I don't have any thoughts / knowledge of what the Antoinette's various areas are like, except what I see online.

Good luck!

I noted you asked about hotels in Basel. We have booked the Hotel Schweizerhof which is near the SBB train station. Great reviews from a fellow traveler and from Trip Advisor. Price was reasonable and since we are there only one night pre-cruise the location suited us perfectly. In Amsterdam we have booked the Hotel Fita near the major museums..(a family run hotel). Also highly rated by a fellow traveler and trip advisor (rated # 4 out of 300 + hotels). The rate was awesome @ 149 euros per night including breakfast. I think there are only like 15 or so rooms..... Sounds very much like a bed and breakfast. The tram, airport express transportatin, museums, are all nearby. You can even buy museum tickets at the hotel desk.

Hope this helps a bit.

Buck,

We stayed at the Hotel Fita in the Fall of 2010, post river cruise and were quite happy. It is small, clean, good breakfast and friendly staff. Also very convenient location to area sightseeing. Hopefully you will be as pleased!

Re train fares.... Just for kicks, check first class. When I started doing planning for our cruise the next day, the fares for first class train to Paris were significantly cheaper than coach. (I suspect this is due to capacity pricing driven by that trip's demand (especially if it originates in a larger city like Zurich)

Buck,

We stayed at the Hotel Fita in the Fall of 2010, post river cruise and were quite happy. It is small, clean, good breakfast and friendly staff. Also very convenient location to area sightseeing. Hopefully you will be as pleased!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the Hotel Fita..... from all we have read, and been told it appeared to be a great fit for us too. I am now trying to figure the best way to get around town, while there. We will be coming in via Uniworld cruise of course, then to the hotel...... we are wanting to tour the Van Gogh museum, and also the Anne Frank House. We bought Anne Frank tickets online for the 9th of September in the afternoon (this is the day after we arrive) - then we are thinking we must take a walk through the Red Light District also.

I have been looking at the Amsterdam map, and trying to figure the best method of getting around.

Any suggestions on how to get around?, or of any other sights to see while there would be greatly received. I can walk fairly well, however I do have to be careful and not overdo it with my 2 replaced knees. (hate getting old - :))!

Thanks for your posting information.

Re train fares.... Just for kicks, check first class. When I started doing planning for our cruise the next day, the fares for first class train to Paris were significantly cheaper than coach. (I suspect this is due to capacity pricing driven by that trip's demand (especially if it originates in a larger city like Zurich)

I called EurRail, and they told me that, unlike trains in the UK, when you buy th tickets online, you don't have to specify the time. So for example, we're arriving in Zurich on August 30, so when we can buy tickets (within 90 days of the date of travel), all we have to do is ask for tickets to Basel on that date, then take the first train after we find the station.

We're staying at the Victoria, which got decent reviews in TripAdvisor.

My wife and I play bridge, and we wonder if there will be any other bridge players on the Sept.1-Sept 8 trip.

Eurorail is not the main provider of train transport in Switzerland. Go to http://www.sbb.ch.

The destination on Trip advisor do not recommend buying tickets before you get to Switz. It is simply not necesssary. There is at least one train per hr from zurich to Basel,

There is a train station right at the Zurich airport. Check to see if there is a non-stop to Basel or if there isn't you catch the train from the airport to downtown Zur and change there.

The website takes a little getting used to. (if you were to buy ahead of time it only lets you do it 30 days prior)

Any suggestions on how to get around?, or of any other sights to see while there would be greatly received. I can walk fairly well, however I do have to be careful and not overdo it with my 2 replaced knees. (hate getting old - :))!

Thanks for your posting information.

I am going to Amsterdam in Oct and have done alot of reading. Walking, Canal boats and trams seem to be the best way to get around. There is a great canal boat that is hop-on, hop-off with many stops near the main sights like AFH.

Another great resource is the Amsterdam forum on Trip Advisor. There you will find a ton of info.

I also bought a guide book that has 3 or 4 neighbour walks mapped out of the main tourist areas. Small enough to carry in a purse with a great maps, restaurants listed etc.

Eurorail is not the main provider of train transport in Switzerland. Go to http://www.sbb.ch.

The destination on Trip advisor do not recommend buying tickets before you get to Switz. It is simply not necesssary. There is at least one train per hr from zurich to Basel,

There is a train station right at the Zurich airport. Check to see if there is a non-stop to Basel or if there isn't you catch the train from the airport to downtown Zur and change there.

The website takes a little getting used to. (if you were to buy ahead of time it only lets you do it 30 days prior)

Thanks. The less I have to do, and the fewer pieces of paper I have to keep track of the better.

I am going to Amsterdam in Oct and have done alot of reading. Walking, Canal boats and trams seem to be the best way to get around. There is a great canal boat that is hop-on, hop-off with many stops near the main sights like AFH.

Another great resource is the Amsterdam forum on Trip Advisor. There you will find a ton of info.

I also bought a guide book that has 3 or 4 neighbour walks mapped out of the main tourist areas. Small enough to carry in a purse with a great maps, restaurants listed etc.

Thanks for the insight...... never can have too much information. I will also check out TripAdvisor specific to Amsterdam. I have been on Trip Advisor, but don't recall looking at Amsterdam info... duh :(

If you wouldn't mind....may I ask you what the guide book was called? I have seen some of Rick Steves books, but I just don't want to pay a lot for just a 3 day visit.

Thanks once again....and if you have any other suggestions, feel free to pass them along ;)

Thanks for the insight...... never can have too much information. I will also check out TripAdvisor specific to Amsterdam. I have been on Trip Advisor, but don't recall looking at Amsterdam info... duh :(

If you wouldn't mind....may I ask you what the guide book was called? I have seen some of Rick Steves books, but I just don't want to pay a lot for just a 3 day visit.

Thanks once again....and if you have any other suggestions, feel free to pass them along ;)

Check out Abe Books (http://www.abebooks.com/) for guide books. They have lots of used books for just a few dollars and often there is free shipping. The books might not be brand new, but often they are good enough for what you need.

Mine is called Frommer's Amsterdam Day by Day. You can go to Frommers website and they have some of the walking guides (for free) on their site. Another source of used books is Amazon.com They have lots of used travel books. I usually go to the library and go through all the available guides and then decide which to buy.

Not sure if you know this but tickets for Anne Frank House can be purchased online (you need to specify a date and time) but this allows you to by-pass a queue that is sometimes 1 to 2 hrs long.

Mine is called Frommer's Amsterdam Day by Day. You can go to Frommers website and they have some of the walking guides (for free) on their site. Another source of used books is Amazon.com They have lots of used travel books. I usually go to the library and go through all the available guides and then decide which to buy.

Not sure if you know this but tickets for Anne Frank House can be purchased online (you need to specify a date and time) but this allows you to by-pass a queue that is sometimes 1 to 2 hrs long.

Thanks for the book information. I did in fact book the Anne Frank House tour, as I had someone else mention the online purchase to avoid the long lines.

Thanks once again for all your help!

I would also suggest buying a book called"Castles Along the Rhine". It is well illustrated and gives the history of most of the castles. It also helps to identify which is which.

The story and pictures are on our website.

Hi there.

Sure sounds like you definately have the travel bug. :) those were some great photos and information on your website! Thanks for sharing.

I looked around for the book you mentioned and actually found a few. They were titled Castles ON the Rhine, with one published in 1967, one in 1979, and another in 1985. Do you happen to remember which one you were referring to?

Thanks again.

Hi there.

Sure sounds like you definately have the travel bug. :) those were some great photos and information on your website! Thanks for sharing.

I looked around for the book you mentioned and actually found a few. They were titled Castles ON the Rhine, with one published in 1967, one in 1979, and another in 1985. Do you happen to remember which one you were referring to?

Thanks again.

Just checked Amazon.com, and the title is "Castles on the Rhine", and you can buy it used for about $4 with shipping.

The picture of the cover shows its title "Castles and Palaces along the Rhine", but the cover picture is identical to mine.

The IBSN of my copy is 3-930885-37-9

Buck...we, too, booked our 2013 Castles Along the Rhine cruise VERY early. It has been 9-10 months in the making! We will be sailing April 28 from Basel. Had to take advantage of the great discounts for early booking/paying in full. Using AAA as our travel agent, we were able to save a bit more (comparable to port fees). September should be an absolutely wonderful time of year to see that part of the world. Have a great time!

:D

Buck...we, too, booked our 2013 Castles Along the Rhine cruise VERY early. It has been 9-10 months in the making! We will be sailing April 28 from Basel. Had to take advantage of the great discounts for early booking/paying in full. Using AAA as our travel agent, we were able to save a bit more (comparable to port fees). September should be an absolutely wonderful time of year to see that part of the world. Have a great time!

Wow.... you have got to be excited...... less than 2 weeks and you sail !!!

Would love to hear how you liked your trip, and anything that you would like to share when you return.

You can also send information via email which is included in my signature.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP !!!!!

Hi Castles folks;

I live in the Boston area & like Bill R. (Buck1949) I'll be on the Sept. 1 Castles cruise along with a good friend from LA. I just now feel like I can exhale again after last week. Happily everyone I knew running in or going to the Marathon was fine, but the lockdown on Friday impacted a lot of us, very surreal & unnerving, & of course there are those "weird small world" moments that so many people have had (people who left the finish line area minutes before the bombs; I was supposed to take my car for service early Friday to a dealership that was exactly in the middle of the area they 'secured' in Watertown, but luckily changed the date).

Anyway, sorry Banfieldspawn, but I don't play bridge well enough to join you. Do you play pinochle? I grew up with that & do like playing it - & even met some great folks on our Alaska cruise last summer that taught me a new version of double pinochle.

I just hope our flights aren't still impacted by the poor furloughed/sequestered air traffic controllers in late Aug. when we leave. I'm now really glad I booked a couple of days in Basel prior to the cruise.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Carol

Hi Castles folks;

I live in the Boston area & like Bill R. (Buck1949) I'll be on the Sept. 1 Castles cruise along with a good friend from LA. I just now feel like I can exhale again after last week. Happily everyone I knew running in or going to the Marathon was fine, but the lockdown on Friday impacted a lot of us, very surreal & unnerving, & of course there are those "weird small world" moments that so many people have had (people who left the finish line area minutes before the bombs; I was supposed to take my car for service early Friday to a dealership that was exactly in the middle of the area they 'secured' in Watertown, but luckily changed the date).

Anyway, sorry Banfieldspawn, but I don't play bridge well enough to join you. Do you play pinochle? I grew up with that & do like playing it - & even met some great folks on our Alaska cruise last summer that taught me a new version of double pinochle.

I just hope our flights aren't still impacted by the poor furloughed/sequestered air traffic controllers in late Aug. when we leave. I'm now really glad I booked a couple of days in Basel prior to the cruise.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Carol

Carol: Glad you avoided the carnage, but sorry that I dunno 'nuthin about pinochle. As for bridge, you really don't have to play bridge very well to play with us. We're happy to have table talk and to explain various conventions or systems that might be available. In any case, looking forward to the trip and to meeting you and Buck, as well as everybody else on the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi KimKatz,

Have you gotten back from your Basel/Amsterdam river cruise yet?

Would love to hear what you liked (or disliked) about the trip. I realize that you may still be jet/lagged, vacation/lagged...but if you have a few minutes would love to get your thoughts.

Thanks,

For those of you who would like to track your favorite cruise ship, (not just River Cruise ships) this web address is a great place to look around.

This gives the location(s) of a wide variety of cruise ships, yachts, tankers, etc. especially in the US and Europe.

Enjoy !!!

http://shiptrackingais.blogspot.com/p/cruiseshipstrackingais.html

Any others that are taking the September 1st - Castles Along the Rhine River Cruise?

These river cruises don't draw a lot of activity, but hope to hear from some others that have taken or are going to take this trip.

Wow.... we have had: 123 posting and 19,616 Viewings !!!!!!!!! Must be a lot of people that are River Cruising somewhere !!!

Edited by Buck1949

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we made the last payment for this River Cruise....finally !! Arranged for travel insurance, so barring a problem we seem to be all set for this trip. We are getting antsy, with just 3 months to go....woo hoo ! Thank goodness airfare came down just a little a couple of weeks ago, so that helped also.

Hopefully a few more will join us here as the trip gets closer.

Buck-- I'm afraid you may be on your own here lad. Not many folks on this site. Not to worry as I be there will be several people you will meet on this cruise and have a wonderful time. If not, you and the Mrs. should have a grand time, especially with all the wonderful stops along the way and your adventurous personality. Have a grand time!!