SS Antoinette - Castles Along the Rhine 2013

Buck1949

Bill-- I got a really neat tip from someone on a cruise a couple years ago who suggested taking one of those cheap plastic shoe storage bags to hang on the back of your closet or bathroom door. The kind that has 20 or so small shoe pockets on it in clear or opaque plastic. Got one and used it a couple times and it's really cool--especially for guys like us with lots of small junk--- cameras, trip brochures, wallet, passport, binoculars, extra eyeglasses, tums, sunscreen, etc. You may have already gotten this tip.

Thanks Otis.....will look at one of those on my next trip to Target or WalMart !!

That could be useful as long as it does not take up too much room in the suitcase. I managed to get a GREAT kit via LL Bean some time ago that can be put over the shower rod or door, and carry's a great deal of things. I take it on all of my trips. I have yet to really fill it up. But it really is not big enough though to put things like binoculars etc in it.

Keep the ideas coming..... never can have too much information for this trip !!! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Still quiet here.... guess we will just meet our fellow cruisers on the ship.

Now we are beginning to plan for next summer's vacation, with a possible cruise around the 4th of June on the BIG NCL Epic cruise ship. Rome, Italy - Round Trip. I enjoy planning..........

I've been following this forum with interest, because we are on the Antoinette this week - Basel to Amst.

Basel was more interesting than I expected it to be. Heavy German influence. On summer weekends, the shores of the Rhine are filled with sunbathers and swimmers who float down the river on inflatables. Easy transportation system. It's not easy to use the tram to get to the boat, because Tram 8 is under construction. So you take Tram 8 for 10 minutes out of town, switch to a bus for one stop, then have to walk about a mile to the boat that is moored in kind of a no mans land. I'd recommend doing whatever you want to see in Basel during the day, then going to the boat. The taxi cost us 45 chf from the train station to the boat.

Our first stop today was to the two Medieval towns in Alsace. They were very charming.

The Internet is good in the lounge, the food has been wonderful. There is not a lot of storage in the bathrooms, but there's plenty of storage in the bedroom. We're in the aquarium class.

If anyone has specific questions, I'll try to check in each day.

We are cruising on the SS Antoinette next June so I am quite Interested in all the information. We haven't made reservations for Amsterdam(probably staying three days) too early to book. Did you do a precruise? We love Uniworld just returned from Burgundy & Provence it was amazing..keep me posted. Not sure if we will do Basel post cruise. Need to be convinced if its worth it..

I've been following this forum with interest, because we are on the Antoinette this week - Basel to Amst.

Basel was more interesting than I expected it to be. Heavy German influence. On summer weekends, the shores of the Rhine are filled with sunbathers and swimmers who float down the river on inflatables. Easy transportation system. It's not easy to use the tram to get to the boat, because Tram 8 is under construction. So you take Tram 8 for 10 minutes out of town, switch to a bus for one stop, then have to walk about a mile to the boat that is moored in kind of a no mans land. I'd recommend doing whatever you want to see in Basel during the day, then going to the boat. The taxi cost us 45 chf from the train station to the boat.

Our first stop today was to the two Medieval towns in Alsace. They were very charming.

The Internet is good in the lounge, the food has been wonderful. There is not a lot of storage in the bathrooms, but there's plenty of storage in the bedroom. We're in the aquarium class.

If anyone has specific questions, I'll try to check in each day.

Hello there fellow Arizonan (Phoenician?)

Glad you posted here, and glad you have enjoyed the trip so far. Would love to hear what you see and think about your travels along the way if you have time to post.

One question I do have is: dressing for the dinners on board. My wife and I have seen the promo video that shows jackets and ties with dinner, and women in a bit of a formal dinner dress. I was wondering if a jacket (or tie) is really required, and what the norm for women's attire is?

Any input would be appreciated.

We are cruising on the SS Antoinette next June so I am quite Interested in all the information. We haven't made reservations for Amsterdam(probably staying three days) too early to book. Did you do a precruise? We love Uniworld just returned from Burgundy & Provence it was amazing..keep me posted. Not sure if we will do Basel post cruise. Need to be convinced if its worth it..

Pre-cruise we flew into Geneva, because I had lived in Lausanne as a child and wanted to reminisce. But there wasn't much else to see in Geneva. Then we took the non-stop train to Basel the night before the cruise.

Post-cruise we are staying three nights in Amsterdam and three nights in Ghent to see some of Northern Europe.

I'd definitely stay an extra day in Basel if you have the time. It was more fun for tourists (than Geneva), and easy train connections to anywhere in Europe.

"One question I do have is: dressing for the dinners on board. My wife and I have seen the promo video that shows jackets and ties with dinner, and women in a bit of a formal dinner dress. I was wondering if a jacket (or tie) is really required, and what the norm for women's attire is?"

Tonight was the Captains Gala. I was going with the advice that few men wore jackets for that. So I told my husband he shouldn't bring one. Well,on this cruise there were three men in coat and tie, about half wore sports coats, and the rest just wore dress shirts or "Tommy Bahamas" type shirts. But truly, no one seemed to care. It was also extremely warm in the dining room tonight for some reason (maybe the sun through the windows) so the jackets quickly came off in the dining room.

For women tonight, I saw everything from dresses with heels to pantsuits and sandals. I think those women who had room to lug big suitcases brought more clothes and dressed up more. Those who were traveling for several weeks were making do with the best they could. However, this "slightly upscale night" is definitely more casual than the big ship Europe cruises we have been on.

Kerry

From Gold Canyon, to the east of Phoenix

Attire in the evening . I just returned from my second River Cruise and I will give you some info about attire for Captain's night also the Farewell dinner. I was quite surprised that people dressed really nice for the Farewell dinner and not so much for the Captains dinner. There were jackets and ties but my husband wore a golf shirt and slacks really no one cares.. I had a few black tops interchanged with jewelry and I was fine. Don't fret you will be fine. Taking less is easier in the grand scheme of things..

Attire in the evening . I just returned from my second River Cruise and I will give you some info about attire for Captain's night also the Farewell dinner. I was quite surprised that people dressed really nice for the Farewell dinner and not so much for the Captains dinner. There were jackets and ties but my husband wore a golf shirt and slacks really no one cares.. I had a few black tops interchanged with jewelry and I was fine. Don't fret you will be fine. Taking less is easier in the grand scheme of things..

Thank you also for the great information. We are in Germany for almost a week prior to this cruise and in Amsterdam a few days afterward, so we are trying to be as frugal as possible about what to pack for the trip.

The biggest problem I encounter is that I have to make darn sure I have sufficient clothing as I can NOT just walk into the nearest clothier in Europe and buy something. At 6' 5" and (let's just say a football players weight), that is hard enough to do in the US. :eek: So I do tend to maybe slightly overpack, but just to err on the side of caution. ;) Heck a few of pairs of jeans, and slacks and add a jacket and I am approaching the 50 pound suitcase limit of the airlines. :( Thank goodness for laundry's !!!!

Bill- I have only done one river cruise--last year on the Rhone with Uniworld. We had a ball and all aspects were fantastic--as most of ur fellow travelers agreed. The thing that impressed us the most (as well as made us happy) is the casual dress. You can wear a pair of dockers and a polo shirt and be right at home every night. I brought a blazer and tie and only wore the blazer first dress-up night then packed it away for rest of the trip. A few folks wore more dressy clothes, but they were equally comfortable and accepted. 4 more weeks til showtime!! I'll be looking for you when we get off in Basel--won't be in a hurry as we booked a couple of nights in town on our own. Safe Travels!!

Bill- I have only done one river cruise--last year on the Rhone with Uniworld. We had a ball and all aspects were fantastic--as most of ur fellow travelers agreed. The thing that impressed us the most (as well as made us happy) is the casual dress. You can wear a pair of dockers and a polo shirt and be right at home every night. I brought a blazer and tie and only wore the blazer first dress-up night then packed it away for rest of the trip. A few folks wore more dressy clothes, but they were equally comfortable and accepted. 4 more weeks til showtime!! I'll be looking for you when we get off in Basel--won't be in a hurry as we booked a couple of nights in town on our own. Safe Travels!!

Good hearing from you again Otis, and thanks for the 'dress' update.

I Like Casual !!!!

Safe travels also!!!!

The cruise has been very enjoyable. The staff is superb,and they really spoil you. If you like to ride bikes, it is a great itinerary, because they have a bike path along the Rhine in all of Germany. This morning, 10 people rode bikes the 12 miles from our overnight stop in Boppart to Koblenz.

Tonight, in Koblenz, is really the first port where you can walk off the ship into the center of town. The first 3 nights we were tied up out of town, or too far to walk in the dark.

Be prepared to walk a lot. We did the two included tours on one day, and my pedometer said we'd gone 8 miles. Today it has been 6 1/2 miles so far.

I just asked this on the "cruise air" site, but thought I'd try here as well, as it may have already come up with some of you, or you might already have an answer----

I would like some advice please on customs check and security check at Schiphol. We are arriving at 0730 on KLM from Basel (A Schengen country airport) , and must transfer to another gate to catch another KLM at 0900 on to San Francisco. We plan to check all our luggage straight thru from Basel to SFO, and only carry a couple of very small bags onto the plane. Will we have to clear customs and/or other security, and if so, how far apart are they and ballpark how long will it take? Have heard mornings can be quite crowded at Schiphol. Thanks for any assistance here.

I just asked this on the "cruise air" site, but thought I'd try here as well, as it may have already come up with some of you, or you might already have an answer----

I would like some advice please on customs check and security check at Schiphol. We are arriving at 0730 on KLM from Basel (A Schengen country airport) , and must transfer to another gate to catch another KLM at 0900 on to San Francisco. We plan to check all our luggage straight thru from Basel to SFO, and only carry a couple of very small bags onto the plane. Will we have to clear customs and/or other security, and if so, how far apart are they and ballpark how long will it take? Have heard mornings can be quite crowded at Schiphol. Thanks for any assistance here.

Since NL and Switzerland are both Schengen countries, my understanding is that you will just walk from one gate to the next. No immigration control other than showing passport at boarding gate. Make sure you get both your boarding passes in Basel.

Trip advisor air travel forum has much more threads than the cruise air.

Edited by mathladyca
spelling

Fairfield Nana, how many days are you staying in Basel? We'll be there 4 days before our Basel to Amsterdam in Oct. Hard to find much info on staying in Basel, so please post when you return. Wondering what is a "must see" and a "must eat". Where are you staying? We'll be at Hotel Spalentor.

Mathlady-- thanks for the tip about Tripadvisor--will check it out.

CasaM-- we are staying for 2 nights in Basel once we get off the SS. Antoinette--booked at the Hotel Basel at $200.night. Found them on Tripadvisor and liked what I read. No ideas what we will see & do--part of the adventure in a new place. I'll certainly try post a review as soon as possible, maybe not soon enuf to help you. Basel sounds like a fun and easy place to explore with lots of nice restaurants. Will probably be a bit pricy tho'--we'll see. Maybe we'll pack a huge "doggie bag" from the boat before we get off.;)

Mathlady-- thanks for the tip about Tripadvisor--will check it out.

CasaM-- we are staying for 2 nights in Basel once we get off the SS. Antoinette--booked at the Hotel Basel at $200.night. Found them on Tripadvisor and liked what I read. No ideas what we will see & do--part of the adventure in a new place. I'll certainly try post a review as soon as possible, maybe not soon enuf to help you. Basel sounds like a fun and easy place to explore with lots of nice restaurants. Will probably be a bit pricy tho'--we'll see. Maybe we'll pack a huge "doggie bag" from the boat before we get off.;)

In case you didn't know: you will get a tram ticket from your hotel to travel all day. No extra charge, so don't buy one. Have fun, O.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

12 days...... :eek:

Looks like if the forecasters are right, we may have some very nice weather! (Maybe a bit of rain early on) But I can handle 70's daytime temperatures.:D

Edited by Buck1949

Hope this doesn't mean you're bringing your bikini! Just kidding--looking forward to meeting up in Basel on Sep 1 as we swap places!

Otis

No one would every want to see me in a bikini :eek:....for sure !!!!!!! :eek:

Just make sure the old Antoinette is left ship / shape for us northbounders !!! ;)

See you on the 1st.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry to see our cruise on the SS Antoinette end. It was fabulous time, where we were pampered beyond belief. We were fed outstanding food, attended to everywhere we went, fed, shown the great sights along the Rhine River, fed, provided with most anything we could ask for, fed.... Oh did I mention we ate a lot ? :eek:

After going to bed on Sunday night we awoke on Monday morning still tied up to the dock when we were supposed to have sailed away. The reason, the first of the locks up stream was broken causing a back up.....so rather than have us wait on the river, they decided to stay put, have the busses come to our ship and still transport us to our first excursion, which was not very much longer than what it would have been if everything had gone as scheduled. The ship gave each passenger 15 euros to pay for lunch in town since the ship was going to set sail and meet us later in the day at our regular dock and we would not be onboard in time for lunch. They were extremely apologetic for the 'problem' which really was not a problem - just a small glitch since we missed nothing at all, and really had an extra hour or so to look around the town.

I am hooked, and my wife and friends we met have already talked of another river cruise. Small, intimate, friendly is the way to go!!!!