Adriatic Explorer, what currency do I need?

We're going on the Majesty on 18th May and as we visit Slovenia & Croatia which aren't in the Euro, am a bit confused about what types of currency we will need and where is the best place to get them from. Help from previous adriatic cruisers will be very appreciated.:o

We're going on the Majesty on 18th May and as we visit Slovenia & Croatia which aren't in the Euro, am a bit confused about what types of currency we will need and where is the best place to get them from. Help from previous adriatic cruisers will be very appreciated.:o

Hi, :)

We chose to get some Kuna for Croatia prior to travel (e.g. M&S - no commission and didn't need to order it but we only wanted about £20 worth, Post Office often good and we found Superdrug very competitive recently too).

This was mainly because we wanted to walk the walls and at that time you needed local currency to pay although that might have changed - i wouldn't know about that.

Otherwise euros are quite acceptable in Dubrovnik and Split for cafes, shops, souvenirs etc.. If you want to get a taxi from the port to Pile Gate in Dubrovnik (entrance to the Old Town and one place where you can start the wall walk) there are taxis lined up outside and they are a fixed price (or were!) of 10E for four people. If you are a couple other people will double up so it's not expensive and euros seem to be the usual currency for this.

The currency in Koper is euro too so no need to get anything different.

Although you may pay slightly more for a coffee or drink in Dubrovnik/Split than if you paid with Kuna, we generally find that it's hardly worth bothering to get multiple currencies and try to guess how much you want and perhaps have some left at the end - and you get a much poorer exchange rate when you sell currency back. Consequently except for the exception described above for the walls for this itinerary we used euros everywhere.

There is a money exchange on board the ship but the rate isn't usually competitive as compared with the ones I mentioned earlier.

slovenia takes euros, as does most of croatia, the main exception is if in dubrovnik you want to walk the walls or go up in the cable car they both only take kuna we got ours last year from our local tesco extra for quite a good rate, but you can get them on the ship too but the rate won't be as good

the walls are def a must, the views are spectacular, there are taxis outside the portwhich charge 10 euros for 4 people to get to the old town nr pile gate the main entrance

You will love this cruise, as a few others on here will agree, we loved it so much booked again for next year

Hi, :)

We chose to get some Kuna for Croatia prior to travel (e.g. M&S - no commission and didn't need to order it but we only wanted about £20 worth, Post Office often good and we found Superdrug very competitive recently too).

This was mainly because we wanted to walk the walls and at that time you needed local currency to pay although that might have changed - i wouldn't know about that.

Otherwise euros are quite acceptable in Dubrovnik and Split for cafes, shops, souvenirs etc.. If you want to get a taxi from the port to Pile Gate in Dubrovnik (entrance to the Old Town and one place where you can start the wall walk) there are taxis lined up outside and they are a fixed price (or were!) of 10E for four people. If you are a couple other people will double up so it's not expensive and euros seem to be the usual currency for this.

The currency in Koper is euro too so no need to get anything different.

Although you may pay slightly more for a coffee or drink in Dubrovnik/Split than if you paid with Kuna, we generally find that it's hardly worth bothering to get multiple currencies and try to guess how much you want and perhaps have some left at the end - and you get a much poorer exchange rate when you sell currency back. Consequently except for the exception described above for the walls for this itinerary we used euros everywhere.

There is a money exchange on board the ship but the rate isn't usually competitive as compared with the ones I mentioned earlier.

whoops posted at the same time

We did this on the Spirit last year, it was wonderful. I loved Venice and Koper was such a lovely surprise, as to be honest, I had never heard of it before we went:rolleyes: Pity you aren't going to Kotor though, it's such a lovely sail-in.

I think we used Euros everywhere, although we did have a few Kuna to use up from a previous holiday there. I love Croatia, have had 4 holidays there:)

• 1 month later...

khuna is the currency here roughly 10 to the £ if ship docks in port the no.6 bus takes you straight to the old town and they run every 10 mins the cost is 12 khuna if bought at shop next to bus stop or 15 khuna if pay on bus.

It was extremely hot end of june so we did not climb wall but we did go in cable car the views are too die for.

Dubrovnik old town is a must you will be amazed by the beauty and cleanliness of the town

hi any idea how many kuna is it to walk the walls or cable car dont want to buy to much:) or do they take debit credit cards roll on friday 13th :D

Walking the walls is 70 Kuna - I've a feeling they do now take CC although they didn't use to - operhaps someone will confirm.

Cable car is 87 Kuna round trip - here is a link to their website - the prices are on there and they DO take CC - we paid by CC in May.

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

It was absolutely spectacular! I notice the weather is sunny and 25 there today. Wouldn't it be lovely to be there?

Anyway have a great trip - oh and incidentally we even paid for our coffees at the cafe at the top of the cable car by credit card. We did it to conserve our Euros but it was cheaper even with a slight exchange rate levy by Mastercard than paying in euros.

hi any idea how many kuna is it to walk the walls or cable car dont want to buy to much:) or do they take debit credit cards roll on friday 13th :D

Hi, lucky you, I wish I was going back. It is 70 Kuna to walk the walls. You can pay by credit card but I don't think you can use debit card. I don't know about the cable car.

Hi, lucky you, I wish I was going back. It is 70 Kuna to walk the walls. You can pay by credit card but I don't think you can use debit card. I don't know about the cable car.

wow thanks for the quick reply:) is it possible do do both or which is the best option or does the half trip on the cable car make you backtrack on the walls thanks again in advance

away to work now two days left to go;)

wow thanks for the quick reply:) is it possible do do both or which is the best option or does the half trip on the cable car make you backtrack on the walls thanks again in advance

away to work now two days left to go;)

I am sorry, I have only been once, just a month ago, so I cannot answer that, but I do know other people who have done both, so you would be better to hear from them.

You could do a search as there has been a lot written on this in the recent past.

We had my elderly parents in law with us, so on Kruzseeka's excellent advice :), we did the walls to the port and got off there before it starts to climb quite steeply. We went into the cathedral and did a short boat trip, which was lovely and gave you a different perspective, then we had lunch, a wander about and meandered back to get a taxi. It was a beautiful day when we were there and hot, but it will be much warmer when you are there, so it would depend on your stamina.

I would recommend that you wear good, non slip sandals on this itinerary as there is a lot of walking on marble which I believe would be treacherous if wet. I hope the weather is as kind to you as it was to us and I think there is a good chance of that at the time you are going :).

Yes quite possible to do both - but it may be worth just doing half the walls to give yourself some wandering time in the Old Town too.

If you do only half the walls start at Pile gate and get off at the Harbour - this is the more scenic half with views across the water also the less strenuous section. You can only walk one way round so that determines Pile Gate as the start point if you're doing only that half.

The cable car is close to the walls. We got a taxi to the cable car then when we came down walked into the Old Town through one of the gates near the Harbour - a 10 minute walk(?). If you click onto the cable car link I posted for you in my earlier post, you will be able to click on the map and pan out a little then you will see the position of the cable car station in relation to the Old Town.

We returned last Friday and we did the wall. The only thing i would say is do the wall early as it gets really hot as the day goes on and take plenty of water, but it is well worth doing.

About an hour but we did stop half way round. my husband has a bad knee and he did the walk because i set my heart on doing it, as he was going up some steps a chinese lady tapped him on the shoulder and singled him to go up side ways which was a lot easier for him.

• 6 months later...

Archived