Checking Soda with Porter

Jimi123

Oh I am definitely posting on the "correct " thread. You continue to boast of packing your "seltzer" though. Wow. I thought you were going to properly carry it on? Oh well.

p.s. I am doing great! Thanks for asking!

[quote name='adschmad']Holy Sheet, this thread is better than ABC's Saturday night special.
Wow! All over some "soda/seltzer/cola/pop".
Get the panties unwadded and be grateful for the suggestions you received, or ignore the suggestions and do whatever you want (which seems what you plan anyways).
Good luck and happy cruising.

P.S. Please see the Chair Hog thread. Wouldn't want you to lose any towels while you are playing by your own, "I'm the exception", rules.[/QUOTE]

Loose towels, are you kidding me? I'm actually going to the dollar store and buying $16 worth of scarfs. I figure that I'll use 2 per day to secure 4 chairs early in the morning. I should get a return on 1 scarf per day. So not bad....for $2 per day, I secure 2 chairs for the WHOLE day. If I get really long scarfs, I can secure 3 chairs per day and use the 3rd to rest a couple of cans of seltzer.

[quote name='txstarla']Oh I am definitely posting on the "correct " thread. You continue to boast of packing your "seltzer" though. Wow. I thought you were going to properly carry it on? Oh well.

p.s. I am doing great! Thanks for asking![/QUOTE]

Okay, so if your posting to the correct thread, you must be really really DELAYED in your posts. I said a LONG LONG time ago that I was going to carry them on. I never boasted about packing seltzer.....not once.

Are you sure that your posting to the correct thread? Really.....are you sure? Be honest.

[QUOTE=Cruzin' Daddy;33664167]"I got up to get me a cold pop, and I thought I smelled somebody BBQ. I looked outside and said....oh Lord Jesus it's a farrrrr (fire)".[/QUOTE]

And the kitchen is HOT too!

[quote name='Jimi123']Okay, so if your posting to the correct thread, you must be really really DELAYED in your posts. I said a LONG LONG time ago that I was going to carry them on. I never boasted about packing seltzer.....not once.

Are you sure that your posting to the correct thread? Really.....are you sure? Be honest.[/QUOTE]

I am Super Sure! Here is your post. You are worried (just a few posts above) about breaking on other people's luggage from all the handlers/porters rough work. Sounds like you are back to packing, but then maybe you are just prepping more scarves for some chair hogging now. Hy-larious!

Jimibobs quote:
Thanks! I'm actually going to roll them in. I wouldn't want a can to break over someone else's luggage. Also, with all the shaking from the handlers, I'd have soda all over the room as soon as I popped the top.

JimBob, I am off to a party, so you have a fabulous time on your seltzer filled cruise and please make sure your "hog scarves" match your speedo. I am sure others will answer any more questions you might have!

[quote name='txstarla']I am Super Sure! Here is your post. You are worried (just a few posts above) about breaking on other people's luggage from all the handlers/porters rough work. Sounds like you are back to packing, but then maybe you are just prepping more scarves for some chair hogging now. Hy-larious!

Jimibobs quote:
Thanks! I'm actually going to roll them in. I wouldn't want a can to break over someone else's luggage. Also, with all the shaking from the handlers, I'd have soda all over the room as soon as I popped the top.[/QUOTE]

You are proving my point....read what you just wrote...I'm giving 2 reasons for carrying ON the soda and NOT packing/checking it: 1) It can break on people luggage 2) The handlers will shake it up

The 2nd quote you have, I am saying that I will carry them on

In BOTH quotes you have, I'm saying that I will carry them on....

Are you sure that your posting to the correct thread? The evidence above is clearly showing that you are not. Please post responses to the correct thread.

[quote name='txstarla']JimBob, I am off to a party, so you have a fabulous time on your seltzer filled cruise and please make sure your "hog scarves" match your speedo. I am sure others will answer any more questions you might have![/QUOTE]

What's so bad about speedos?

Have fun at your "party", because to this one, you weren't invited and was shown the way out.

[quote name='Jimi123']I'm thinking about putting the 4 12 packs in a cheap duffel bag with a tag on it. [/quote]

[B]Make absolute sure each box is in a sealed bag of some type before you put it your duffel.[/B] My luggage and belongings have been ruined by thoughtless cruisers that broke the rules. :mad:

[quote name='imnance']So, Jimi, if you just came here looking for a fight, why not just say so? Why hide behind a question you already knew the answer to?[/quote]

It's just what makes some people tick :rolleyes:. I never give much notice to 1st time posters who have an attitude and chip on their shoulder from the get go.

I only chimed in because [B]EVERYONE[/B] needs to know the importance of putting ANY liquid, be it shampoo or 463 cans of "seltzer water", into a [COLOR=Red]WATERPROOF [U]sealed[/U][/COLOR] bag PRIOR to placing it in checked baggage. It's just common sense and courtesy.

I also agree that it's a matter of time before Carnival pulls the plug on carry-on beverages of any type as a result of the rule breakers/benders. I truly appreciate that they allow me to bring my wine, champagne, soda and all of my mixers on board...they are one of the last lines to allow this and I will be sad when it comes to an end.

Happy sailing everyone!

LMAO!!!! Wow - who piddled in who's cornies this morning???

If I was the OP I'd be annoyed (not the word, but the one I want to use would get auto corrected), to be told I was giving my family diabetes, bad health, rotten teeth and whatever else - it's not our business; actually given what I understand of the state of American health care it's not even going to cost you anything if they drank 48 cans each per day as a form of slow death. All he wanted to know was [B]if[/B].....not how....if.

I trust that everybody who slammed him has never so much as brought on an extra bottle of wine, or heaven forbid hard liquor. I don't read the smuggling threads, I buy from BV or the bar, is there so much vitirol thrown around in those threads?

For the poster who said his mothers bag & clothing was wet from somebody else's leakage and was grateful that the steward walked them to the laundry - you must be a much nicer person than me - I'd be livid, and would be pushing for Carnival to take care of the laundry. It's their rules that were broken, and their systems that didn't catch it

[quote name='BadJelly']LMAO!!!! Wow - who piddled in who's cornies this morning???

If I was the OP I'd be annoyed (not the word, but the one I want to use would get auto corrected), to be told I was giving my family diabetes, bad health, rotten teeth and whatever else - it's not our business; actually given what I understand of the state of American health care it's not even going to cost you anything if they drank 48 cans each per day as a form of slow death. All he wanted to know was [B]if[/B].....not how....if.

I trust that everybody who slammed him has never so much as brought on an extra bottle of wine, or heaven forbid hard liquor. I don't read the smuggling threads, I buy from BV or the bar, is there so much vitirol thrown around in those threads?

For the poster who said his mothers bag & clothing was wet from somebody else's leakage and was grateful that the steward walked them to the laundry - you must be a much nicer person than me - I'd be livid, and would be pushing for Carnival to take care of the laundry. It's their rules that were broken, and their systems that didn't catch it[/QUOTE]

The poster that spoke about health and soda was all mixed up and confused. That poster was clearly posting to the wrong thread. Left off with some comment about speedos.

A lot of other posters gave useless judgmental posts. I called them on it. Then they complain that I came looking for a fight or that I have a chip on my shoulder or that I don't want answers or opinions.

Now another poster thinks that a travel size of shampoo must be in a plastic bag.

What's next? Passengers must saran wrap themselves before checking in? I think it's some of the passengers that are going to the extreme, not the cruise line.

[quote name='Tbay-eh']I am just waiting for the day when they don't allow you to take on any soda, water, juice etc because people just can't resist pushing the envelope and figure if they can get away with it who suffers. The rest of us when I comes home to roost. What is so hard about following a simple rule. Like another poster said why not just take on one and then pick up another at the next port.[/quote]

It's time for the whole "lug a heavy case of soda aboard" routine to GO AWAY. This is a stupid and cumbersome policy that is frustrating for the passengers and the boarding personnel alike. CCL needs to WISE UP and provide fountain drinks to cruisers without the stupid $30 fee. No way will the wife & I shell out $60 to CCL to drink a diet Coke! CCL, GET A CLUE!

[quote name='Herfnerd']One twelve pack MIGHT make it. Four? No way.....[/quote]

We have put two 12 packs and some water in a rolling suitcase and checked it with our luggage. Never had any problem. We have sailed from Galveston several times and New Orleans.

[quote name='gfh77665']It's time for the whole "lug a heavy case of soda aboard" routine to GO AWAY. This is a stupid and cumbersome policy that is frustrating for the passengers and the boarding personnel alike. CCL needs to WISE UP and provide fountain drinks to cruisers without the stupid $30 fee. No way will the wife & I shell out $60 to CCL to drink a diet Coke! CCL, GET A CLUE![/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you on this one. All cruise lines need to get a clue. Fountain drinks aren't very expensive either.

[quote name='txstarla']Actually JimBob it does affect us. The more people who take exception to the rule and feel special and break the rule, the more chance Carnival will take the privilege away. You want to haul it on your cart or rolling cooler, just make sure you follow the size requirement.

And no, I have no idea what sodas you are carrying on. [COLOR="Red"]Could care less[/COLOR]. I don't and will never drink 3 in a day. You go right ahead. Just don't pack them in your carry on mmmmmmkay? Cool.

Oh, and option 5 is to stop continually asking if an exception will be made for you. It won't.[/QUOTE]

If you could care less, please do.

[I]"Clichés are especially prone to scrambling because they become meaningless through overuse. In this case an expression which originally meant “it would be impossible for me to care less than I do because I do not care at all” is rendered senseless by being transformed into the now-common “I could care less.” Think about it: if you could care less, that means you care some. The original already drips sarcasm, so it’s pointless to argue that the newer version is “ironic.” People who misuse this phrase are just being careless."[/I]

[quote name='Jimi123']I'm thinking about putting the 4 12 packs in a cheap duffel bag with a tag on it. I doubt the guy taking the bags would pick up on that they are sodas. I'll be with wife and 2 kids so the less I have to carry on, the better. I'll do it if I have to. But just trying to figure out what the worst thing is that can happen. Here are the 3 possible outcomes I see...

1) I have to go to the so called naughty room. Is that really a big deal? Does this have any impact on the other bags I check? In other words, if one bag gets nailed, do I have to get all my bags from the naughty room or just the sodas.

[/quote]

If your bag isn't locked, there is a good chance it will be confiscated before it gets on the ship. If it is locked, at least it will make it on the ship.

1) No big deal and just any bag that is flagged.

I used to just tape a luggage tag to a case and check it, but those days are gone.

It was a porter who told me they couldn't take cases like that any more, but if I put it in a bag it would be fine, so started taking a duffle bag for that purpose and that worked for a while.

Then my suitcase was right at 50 pounds when flying would magically gain 25 pounds or so by the time I checked it with a porter, but that no longer works all the time.

Anyway, if I were going to try to smuggle anything, if I put everything in one bag and it gets flagged, I lose it all - at least for the duration of the cruise and who cares about after?

If you divide up among many bags, some may get through.

Divide and conquer (TM).

Our last cruise I had our soda/water in a roll suitcase to bring on board. At the scanner I was flagged. I had 36 drinks and 3 bottles of wine-for 3 of us. I was told Oh no- I could only carry 12 soda/water and one wine myself. He made me take them out of the suitcase and give each one of us our own things. We smiled and said ok! I put them down my pants, shirt, in my hat ect. We had a great time. The guy just laughed at us as we walked the 3 feet to the end of the area to just replace them into the suitcase for carry on. Now I prepack 12 water/soda and 1 bottle of wine into a grocery bag. make up 3 of these and place into our rolling suitcase. When we get to the security belt, open suitcase, remove two premade bags, hand to each family member, get scanned, replace into suitcase after. They still check the soda cans and wine sometimes.
Our last cruise someone was trying to bring 12 soda/waters for a newborn size child! We are pretty sure that child was not drinking soda at that age but.......you never know!
And to the one who is useing the scarfs to save chairs---I saw those scarfs blow away in the wind right before I sat in that chair. It does get so windy on deck. It is funny how many towels and sun glasses fall under a chair or are replaced next to the pool and make that chair empty by the wind.
Enjoy your cruise, don't break any rules and you'll be fine.

[quote name='gfh77665']It's time for the whole "lug a heavy case of soda aboard" routine to GO AWAY. This is a stupid and cumbersome policy that is frustrating for the passengers and the boarding personnel alike. CCL needs to WISE UP and provide fountain drinks to cruisers without the stupid $30 fee. No way will the wife & I shell out $60 to CCL to drink a diet Coke! CCL, GET A CLUE![/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Black"]CCL's ability to provide fountain drinks may be beyond their control. Most major bottlers either: [LIST]
[*]Require access to the equipment to verify it is providing the beverage as specified.[CODE][/CODE]
[*]Provide and maintain the equipment themselves.
[/LIST]
With a shipboard environment I would not be surprised that the major vendors may not offer fountain products to CCL

As for pricing, yes it is a bit steep, but CCL does provide you the chance to carry your own soda aboard. As for "it's a stupid and cumbersome policy", well, carrying a 12-pack of soda around for two hours until the rooms open isn't really not that much of a burden, is it? If carrying a little under five Kilos for two hours is too "cumbersome" I suggest sitting at the atrium bar until the rooms open, it's very convenient and makes for a fun way to start a cruise.[/COLOR].

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]The way luggage gets tossed around. Whatever you put in it will be shaken quite a bit.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]It would be very possible that one or more could open in your luggage causing a need for laundry to be done. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]If you board the ship at 2 PM you will be able to go straight to your cabin. So you won’t have to pull your luggage very far. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='JoeMissile'][COLOR="Black"]CCL's ability to provide fountain drinks may be beyond their control. Most major bottlers either: [LIST]
[*]Require access to the equipment to verify it is providing the beverage as specified.[CODE][/CODE]
[*]Provide and maintain the equipment themselves.
[/LIST]
With a shipboard environment I would not be surprised that the major vendors may not offer fountain products to CCL

As for pricing, yes it is a bit steep, but CCL does provide you the chance to carry your own soda aboard. As for "it's a stupid and cumbersome policy", well, carrying a 12-pack of soda around for two hours until the rooms open isn't really not that much of a burden, is it? If carrying a little under five Kilos for two hours is too "cumbersome" I suggest sitting at the atrium bar until the rooms open, it's very convenient and makes for a fun way to start a cruise.[/COLOR].[/QUOTE]

Fountain drinks are not an issue for other lines. However on Royal, they are manned by a crew member.

Archived