Checking Soda with Porter

Jimi123

Most likely they would be refused and you would still have to carry them on as some have found out.

Or they put them in their suitcase and before the porter would check the suitcase, the person had to remove all drinks and then they had the problem of how to carry them onboard loose because they were unable to follow simple rules.

You used to be able to check them, but they changed that and you now have to carry them on.

Seems like I remember reading that guests were putting so many sodas in their checked luggage that it got too heavy for the porters and others to handle.

Seems like I remember reading that guests were putting so many sodas in their checked luggage that it got too heavy for the porters and others to handle.

My theory is its to stop people from trying to smuggle beer. If its carried on they can easily ask to inspect it .. but checked, people are locking their suitcases, and its a lot more work and trouble for Carnival to call you to the naughty room.

I used to see people on here with pictures of what they smuggled onto the ship including cases of beer.

And the mess it makes when said 12 pack or bottle breaks in the bag and gets all over other luggage.

Just carry on. Or if it cramps your style to much to carry all that soda (geez how much do you and your family drink? Diabetes much?) buy your drinks on board.

Or just carry on one or two at embarkation and restock at the first port with one or two more. Repeat at each port as needed.

Hopefully this isn't all for you to drink yourself. Why not let some of the other folks in your room carry a few?

Porters refused to take the soda at port canveral.. Said it had to be carried on board or in luggage.. They wouldnt just allow a luggage tag on the soda and dropped off

I'm thinking about putting the 4 12 packs in a cheap duffel bag with a tag on it. I doubt the guy taking the bags would pick up on that they are sodas. I'll be with wife and 2 kids so the less I have to carry on, the better. I'll do it if I have to. But just trying to figure out what the worst thing is that can happen. Here are the 3 possible outcomes I see...

1) I have to go to the so called naughty room. Is that really a big deal? Does this have any impact on the other bags I check? In other words, if one bag gets nailed, do I have to get all my bags from the naughty room or just the sodas.

2) Baggage handler won't take it. Then I'll carry it on.

3) It makes it to my room with no problem.

Any other possibilities?

I'm thinking about putting the 4 12 packs in a cheap duffel bag with a tag on it. I doubt the guy taking the bags would pick up on that they are sodas. I'll be with wife and 2 kids so the less I have to carry on, the better. I'll do it if I have to. But just trying to figure out what the worst thing is that can happen. Here are the 3 possible outcomes I see...

1) I have to go to the so called naughty room. Is that really a big deal? Does this have any impact on the other bags I check? In other words, if one bag gets nailed, do I have to get all my bags from the naughty room or just the sodas.

Any other possibilities?

It is possible, but highly doubtful you could do like everyone else following the rules and carry it on yourself, but it sounds like you think you are above that.

I think the folks who cant follow rules are why every year Carnival tightens then.

used to be able to check soda, but too many lazy folks who thought if they slapped a luggage tag on them the porters had to take them

so now its carry on only, coolers no bigger than 12 X 12 X 12.

Used to be able to bring any size, so people said, oh boy, 12, 2 liter cokes, so now they said no bigger than 20 oz IN YOUR CARRY ON ONLY.

For those next year who are going to complain when the rules get even tighter .. blame those who cannot follow directions. Carnival keeps saying the rules so there is smaller amounts of wiggle room. Surprising how many dont value being allowed to carry on soda .. one day its going to not be allowed at all, because so many wouldnt follow directions and think they are special, rules are for the other guy, not me. Lots with entitlement attitudes.

Any other possibilities?

Possibility #4 - your cheap duffle gets shoved in the middle of the pile of luggage, 1 or more of the bottles/cans in the cheap duffle rupture and the contents of said bottles/cans winds up all over somebody else's luggage. Result? I'd be p*$$ed.

I am just waiting for the day when they don't allow you to take on any soda, water, juice etc because people just can't resist pushing the envelope and figure if they can get away with it who suffers. The rest of us when I comes home to roost. What is so hard about following a simple rule. Like another poster said why not just take on one and then pick up another at the next port.

Any other possibilities?

Most probable

4) Soda is confiscated. You receive your bag in your room with a letter saying it has been confiscated and you may collect it from the naughty room. After the cruise

I believe this is done because if everybody doesn't have to carry on, how do they know that you haven't packed your 48 cans of soda, and then carried another 48 on board. It sounds like buying some soda cards would be worth it.

Also as above if those things burst in your bag and that sticky stuff leaks all over my bag, I'm not going to be happy!

Option 4 Consider the health of you and your family and start cutting back on the soda intake. Then you won't have to "bend" any rules.

txstarla: Is flavored seltzer unhealthy? Know what your talking about before you open your mouth and speak some nonsense.

firefly333,Tbay-eh: Then I'll do something else and let you 2 complain to each other about the tight rules.

conchead: just above you

BadJelly: Thanks for the answer that I was looking for. I'll get a simple fold out cart and bungee cord them on and roll them in.

For all the people talking about too much soda, you are pretty clueless. 48 cans of soda over 8 days for 2 people is 3 cans a day per person.....for all you people saying that I'm drinking too much soda, how many alcoholic beverages do you drink in a day? I rest my case.....and that was pretty easy.....I didn't even have to try at this one.

txstarla: Is flavored seltzer unhealthy? Know what your talking about before you open your mouth and speak some nonsense.

firefly333,Tbay-eh: Then I'll do something else and let you 2 complain to each other about the tight rules.

conchead: just above you

BadJelly: Thanks for the answer that I was looking for. I'll get a simple fold out cart and bungee cord them on and roll them in.

lmao .. who said Im complaining about the tight rules. I dont carry on more than a couple so its no biggie to me.

I just read others complaining... I could care less to be honest.. lots of people today who want to assume how I feel about things. Im not really a soda drinker to be honest and drink the water onboard, dont carry it on either.

I travel very light, with just a carry on.

lmao .. who said Im complaining about the tight rules. I dont carry on more than a couple so its no biggie to me.

I just read others complaining... I could care less to be honest.. lots of people today who want to assume how I feel about things. Im not really a soda drinker to be honest and drink the water onboard, dont carry it on either.

I travel very light, with just a carry on.

So if none of this impacts you, then why did you open your mouth and contribute nothing? BTW, I could care less about what you carry on and how light you pack.

And the mess it makes when said 12 pack or bottle breaks in the bag and gets all over other luggage.

Just carry on. Or if it cramps your style to much to carry all that soda (geez how much do you and your family drink? Diabetes much?) buy your drinks on board.

I took my 75 y.o. aunt on a cruise a couple years ago. She had checked a small suitcase and small bag that looked like canvas material, but whatever it was, it wasn't waterproof. When they brought the bag it was drenched and most of the stuff inside was wet and had a strong ginger smell. While we were trying to decide what to do with the wet stuff our room attendent came to introduce himself. He was almost as upset as we were about the bag. He said it happened a lot - someone checked luggage with sodas or beer in it and it had leaked.Said it must have been right on top of my aunt's bag. He was so sweet and walked us to laundry room on our floor. Luckily there weren't a lot of clothes in this bag, but who wants to spend sail away doing laundry??

I don't care what you do.....just wanted you to be aware of the "official" policy that is posted on Carnival's website (in case you weren't aware already):

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be available for collection onboard in a designated location on the morning of debarkation. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

I have placed a 3L box of wine in my luggage for 4 out of 5 cruises. Only once was I caught and had to go to the naughty room to collect my bag. I didn't care....I knew what I had done. I did not get that box of wine until my last day. But, and this is where you come in, there were others as well who had additional quantities of soda who were also not allowed to get those back until the last day.

But depending on which port, which ship, which porter or whomever else, you may have no problem at all. Oh, yeah, and I have seen plenty of people with some small rolling cart sort of thing with bungee cords....but not like one of those old fold up carts that you see old people walking to the grocery store with sometimes.

Archived