Moscow Metro Info

ras619

We are going to take a pre-extension for 2 extra nights in Moscow during July & have begun to try to get familiar with the area. We have received confirmed air flights and hotel reservations.

Based upon what I have read there is the potential for several long 2 hour bus rides to and from Red Square and the Port area. Based upon this and having a couple of extra days we are looking at using the Metro whenever possible - seems they do have passes for multiple trips which will help and it is very, very cheap. A 20-22 minute trip seems much better :D

Posted this in the roll call section, but might be more useful here.

Moscow metro map:

http://engl.mosmetro.ru/flash/scheme01.html

you can click on any station to start & another as destination and it will show you the best route and the estimated time to travel, and:

List of Metro Lines and Stations - use this to learn the lines & stations in English:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...metro_stations

The information I have indicates that the cruise lines will be the Northern River Boat Port at Leningradsky Prospekt (far NW area of Moscow - the closest Metro station is Rechnoy Vokzai on the Zamoskvoretskaya line (Green Line). This station is about 600 yards from the port. You can board here and stay on this same Green Line until the 9th station stop at Teatralnaya station which is at Red Square and is part of a major transfer point between lines (Red, Green & Dark Blue). This transfer point between lines is right in the middle of the Metro map linked above. The second list also shows you the English version of the station names AND how they will appear in Russian Cyrillic.

Based upon this info & a little study I believe even a travel idiot like me can navigate to a few points of interest - have also found the line from our hotel to Red Square!!!

Hope this information will be of help to others - BobS

We are going to take a pre-extension for 2 extra nights in Moscow during July & have begun to try to get familiar with the area. We have received confirmed air flights and hotel reservations.

Based upon what I have read there is the potential for several long 2 hour bus rides to and from Red Square and the Port area. Based upon this and having a couple of extra days we are looking at using the Metro whenever possible - seems they do have passes for multiple trips which will help and it is very, very cheap. A 20-22 minute trip seems much better :D

Posted this in the roll call section, but might be more useful here.

Moscow metro map:

http://engl.mosmetro.ru/flash/scheme01.html

you can click on any station to start & another as destination and it will show you the best route and the estimated time to travel, and:

List of Metro Lines and Stations - use this to learn the lines & stations in English:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...metro_stations

The information I have indicates that the cruise lines will be the Northern River Boat Port at Leningradsky Prospekt (far NW area of Moscow - the closest Metro station is Rechnoy Vokzai on the Zamoskvoretskaya line (Green Line). This station is about 600 yards from the port. You can board here and stay on this same Green Line until the 9th station stop at Teatralnaya station which is at Red Square and is part of a major transfer point between lines (Red, Green & Dark Blue). This transfer point between lines is right in the middle of the Metro map linked above. The second list also shows you the English version of the station names AND how they will appear in Russian Cyrillic.

Based upon this info & a little study I believe even a travel idiot like me can navigate to a few points of interest - have also found the line from our hotel to Red Square!!!

Hope this information will be of help to others - BobS

Good luck. My only comment was negotiating the METRO and its Cyrillic station names. We did the METRO with our tour group (we were with Vantage and had hotel close to Red Square). Some used the METRO on their own and simply counted the number of stations until they had to get off.

Another concern to me would be that the area around the Moscow Cruise Port didn't seem that nice. I would not be out there at night.

The Russian people are very nice, but few speak English (usually the young people). You might seek advice from one of your tour guides.

I've traveled the Moscow subways and suggest that before you go you familiarize yourself withe the Cyrillic alphabet. Just knowing the figures would help you to more quickly match what you (hopefully) have written with the signs. It doesn't hurt to also learn the sound of each letter (eg their "h" sounds like our "n"). One evening of study and some reviews should suffice.

Also (true anywhere) make sure you know the far point of the line, so you will know which way to go.

Good luck!

I strongly agree with readytocruiseagain. Learning the cyrillic alphabet will not only help you pronounce and remember the metro names, but also understand many Russian signs. Many words are similar to or the same as English or French once you convert the alphabet, but there are basically 4 different type of characters, ones that are the same as our alphabet, ones that look the same but have a different sound, Greek alphabet and Hebrew alphabet. It is not that hard with a little drill. For example, what looks like CTOh, coverts to Stop and means stop. What looks like Tyanet id Toilet and so on.

My wife and I found it easy getting around by Metro. Besides getting around to the popular sites, we got on and off at a number of stations to see the fantastic artwork. Buying a ticket is easy... just hold up your fingers for the number of tickets. You don't have to worry about the language problem, nor worry about different fares for different zones or distances. There is only one price.

We managed fine without cyrillic by just counting the number of stops to our destination.

Second (third?) learning the alphabet. I did it in Greece and found it useful to be able to pronounce name of places when I ask for directions.

Granted, Greek letter is pretty familiar for most of us already... Still, I can't see how much harder Russian can be.

Archived