Booking/scheduling ?

Zeno

We have cruised twice on NCL.

First time we booked fairly earlier (about 10 months in advance)

2nd time we booked fairly late (about 2 months in advance)

In both cases we got pretty good deals.

However for our next cruise I have a real problem to work around.

Due to a completely unavoidable (and unfortunately indeterminate timewise) committment, my husband will be tied up for at least the next 2-3 months. Because of issues related to this committment, we do not wish to book a cruise until it is fulfilled. Therefore we can't book early.

Complication number 2: Our friend who will be cruising with us MUST book her vacations early - so late booking is not possible.

The orginal plan was to schedule a cruise for late Jan 2006 or early Feb 2006.

However if we wait till (earliest) July or August to book, will we be able to get the sailing we want at the price we want? Or would we be better off moving our vacation dates out till say April? What are prices like about 5-6 months in advance of a cruise?

Sorry to make this complicated but unfortunately it IS complicated - which is why I am looking for some good sensible advice.

Can't help you from experience, but go to the NCL website and take a look at the "Specials" for the area you want to cruise. I just looked at the Alaska cruises for this summer, and there are some great prices. Most are Guarantee Specials in Inside, Oceanview and Balcony cabins. I have no idea what the prices would be if you booked 5-6 months out rather than waiting for the last-minute specials to appear. I'm sure someone out there has booked during that period.

Adele

Difficult problem. Not knowing for SURE when you will be able to cruise can be handled by booking early to reserve the sailing and price that you want, but having the flexibility to cancel and reschedule without penalty up until the final payment date. This gives you some months to see if your business will be concluded in time. However, since you have to set a firm date to coincide with that of your travel companion, I don't know if this suggestion will be of any use.

Prices 5-6 months in advance have been higher for the cruises that I have been watching. By this time, the lower categories have sold out, but prices have not yet been reduced for "last minute" filling of the ship. I am sure this varies widely, but it has been my experience with Alaska sailings and West Coast re-po's.

Good luck with your planning.:)

Thx for comments - higher prices 5-6 months out was my impression too. Ah well I hope not too much higher. I really wish we weren't in this situation but sometimes things don't work out for easy planning and good prices.

We booked our cruise on the Dawn last month for end of August 2005 which was 5 months out. Since booking the price has dropped twice. In both cases I called my TA and she had the price lowered by NCL. We originally booked two connecting BA cabins and are now booked in an AB Penthouse and a connecting minisuite for close to what the original cost was. Book early, keep an eye on the fare at NCL.com and work from there. As long as final payment isn't made yet they will adjust the price accordingly.

Archived