$1 bills - how many are enough?

DrPepper41

We will be on a 7 night Caribbean (Legend) cruise.

Everyone says to bring $1 bills for tipping and that it's just nice to have these smaller bills.

We don't drink alcohol, so won't need to tip for drinks. But we will probably use the room service on occasion. And we'll tip a couple bucks to room steward to bring us extra pillows. But I'm not sure where else we need $1's for. We've pre-paid our gratituties already.

I'm really clueless about how many $1 bills I need to bring.

Is $25 ones sufficient? Do I need more like $50 in ones?

I rarely bring any, but end up going home with a pocket full. You really don't need very many to start with, the only place I every use singles is to tip room service, or an occasional cab, but most things get rounded up to the next $5 or $10.

I don't understand why what the porters make should factor into tipping them? They are still giving you a service, one that I cannot and would not do by myself, and are super nice and polite. If you don't want to tip them fine, but justifying it by saying they make too much money to need a tip just seems odd.

I took $100 in singles last cruise for the first time and it was the best thing I ever did. In port, they are very necessary. Most cab drivers and sales people never seem to have change (go figure...) the singles eliminate these types of problems. I also use it to tip at the past guest party, farewell party, room steward, room service, etc.

We usually bring 25 in ones, and another 40 in 5s...mostly for off the ship activities (cabs, tipping) and a couple 10s and 20s. It's always easiest to have exact change everywhere. We don't buy a lot of stuff in ports, but I never use my credit card...it's cash cash cash.

I have a question.

We are coming over from Australia the day before our cruise (a Saturday) so I am assuming no banks will be open to change money into smaller notes.

It may depend on where you're cruising from--where I live most banks are open until about 2 p.m. on Saturdays. :)

I always make sure I have some ones and fives but not a ton. We usually have three bags, so I tip the porters $5 and a couple bucks for the shuttle driver. I make sure I have a few ones in case we order room service. But, I don't go out of my way to get a bunch before we go--you can always get change if you need some.

I always bring 100 ones and a bunch of 5's and 10's. Great for tips and also we try to use only cash when on the islands/ports/etc. If you don't use it all, the bank will accept it back;)

This is just what I do as well.

If I have any money left I just start a new fund for my next cruise.;)

Bring some singles for the porters at the pier and your cab driver, but don't worry about it for the cruise. Guest Services will be able to break larger bills for you.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Archived