Snorkel masks from Toys R US

maggieworkman

Has anyone used snorkel masks and breathing tube thing from a place like Toys R US or Walgreens, etc. (not from a diving shop) on a cruise? We are going on our first cruise and I am not sure if the kids will like to snorkel or what (ages 13 and 10) so I was thinking of buying a couple of those kid type snorkel masks from Toys R Us. We already have the kayaking excursion planned in Coco Cay, so I don't know if there will be time to snorkel anyway. But I am a little hesitant about renting the snorkel masks from RCCL because of germs, etc. What have you done?

Maggie

Any of the cheap sets are hit and miss.......if they don't fit right, they'll leak and your kids will not have a good time. If you can open up the package without damaging it, have them try on the masks to see if there are any gaps. They should breathe in and see if the mask sticks to their face; even try them out in a pool or bathtub. The worst thing is a leaking mask. My family of 4 has 4 different brands and styles of masks, just to get a good fit. If you are worried about germs, just bring your own snorkels and use their masks....even if they look old or worn, they are usually of very good quality. (on our first cruise, we used the snorkel equipment provided on a tour...I was skeptical because they looked so old, but we all found a mask that fit perfectly!)

• 1 month later...

we are going to buy the kids snorkel sets. fortunately we live by the jersey shore so they will actually use them. I want them to practice before we go on a cruise anyway (12&9) It is a little tricky and they will be more confident if they tried at home 1st

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so glad I found this post...I was just at Target and want to buy my kids, ages 6 and 8, masks and snorkels. They have the kind that hook onto the mask...would that be better for them than the snorkels that do not? Also, do they really need the fins?

You children will have a much better time snorkeling if they have fins! It is almost impossible for little ones to swim and swim with nothing to hold onto without fins. Go to a dive shop and spend @20 for kid's fins...it is so worth it. That being said, though, dive shops are very expensive for masks and snokels, but you do get what you pay for. Sports Authority has some better cheap ones, but I would avoid anything you could get at a department or discount store. You child should be able to put the mask on, inhale, and the mask should STAY on, even without the strap. That means it fits, and it won't leak! My youngest is not into breathing through the tube, so he will just wear a mask and come up for air when he needs a breathe, but my older son (10) can snorkel and dive all over the place. It's a very good idea to practice first in a pool. HTH.

we are going to buy the kids snorkel sets. fortunately we live by the jersey shore so they will actually use them. I want them to practice before we go on a cruise anyway (12&9) It is a little tricky and they will be more confident if they tried at home 1st

oh my--- are your kids in for a treat. I used to take my kids to the Jersey shore all the time...and they loved the water. When I took the to the caribbean and the water is soooo very different compared to what they are used too. In cozumel you can see the bottom and you are docked in 80 feet plus water.

I went to the Bahamas as an adult and was amazed (you know how you always think the postcards/pictures are colorized or something) I can't wait to see the look on their faces (the 17 year old went to Puerto Rico last year so he is in on the surprise) when they see how blue and clear the water is!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Mom of 4 in South Florida...hands down, the best mask (more like oversized goggles) I've found is the Kid's version from Sharper Image. $20, very form-fitting, even for my 2 y/o --- no water gets in! Have not found a good snorkel for very young children (under 8), and we've tried lots! It seems to be hard for them to get a good seal around the mouthpiece, even on the jr. sizes.

I got a complete set mask, fins and dry snorkel for my son at Sams Club Around $26. The only problem we have had is where the tube of the snorkel fits into the mouth piece it leaked. I took it apart and used a silcone gel put it back together no leaks. :D He has been practicing in our pool. I suggest practicing as much as possible. The more comfortable they are with the equipment the better.

Archived