No Left luggage??? Civitavecchia

kiwifamilycruisers

Hi there - we will be cruising in June?July '12 . We disembark in Civitavecchia but do not fly out until late that night. We were hoping to find left luggage facilities at the port but have been told there are none. Does anybody know if you can pay to stay on the boat that day? I know my parents have just fiished a cruise in Rome with NCL and were able to pay $35 per person to use the boat facilities for the day - Does Hooland America do the same? If not can anyone recommend a hotel in Civitavecchia that offers day rooms? Thanks in advance, Rebecca

Hi there - we will be cruising in June?July '12 . We disembark in Civitavecchia but do not fly out until late that night. We were hoping to find left luggage facilities at the port but have been told there are none. Does anybody know if you can pay to stay on the boat that day? I know my parents have just fiished a cruise in Rome with NCL and were able to pay $35 per person to use the boat facilities for the day - Does Hooland America do the same? If not can anyone recommend a hotel in Civitavecchia that offers day rooms? Thanks in advance, Rebecca

I have been told there is left luggage at the ferry terminal in Civitavecchia. We could not find the terminal last time we were there- Civitiavecchia is a very confusing place! We would also like advice on this as we would like to leave luggage when we go into Rome for the night on a B2B in Sept. Jennie

I am assuming that you do not want to tour Rome based on your post..so this is what I would do...regardless of cost...

I would have a private driver meet me at debark..RomeCabs or the like..and do a one day (8 hours?) tour for between 450 and 550E that would include Etruscan Italy, Ceri , Ceveteri, Ostia, Tarquinia...etc..

maybe not all the places but a nice itinerary that could easily be done, and would arrange the timing that worked best for my particular situation. They could then drop you at the airport in plenty of time and there are no issues with the luggage and you get to use the bonus day in Italy instead of wasting it.

IMHO...having a late flight..of course you will need to be at FCO 3 hours early anyway..is useless... even with whatever cost savings or scheduling issues there may have been....if you don't put it to good use.

In hindsite..it will cost you money or at the best wasted boring time..because that flight is so late...maybe a flight the next day would have been wiser..but that is for another trip at this point!:)

I have seen plenty of posts here about cruisers doing exactly this kind of thing.

You may already be aware of this, but Civitavecchia is a fair distance from the Rome airport and also a fair distance from Rome itself. None of the points are very close together.

Knowing what you would like to do for the day would be helpful in making suggestions for you. I've read in many places that there is no left luggage facility at the cruise ship ports; I have no idea re: the ferry port. Nor do I think there is a facility at the Civitavecchia train station.

Do you just want to relax for the time until your flight leaves, or do you have in mind to do some sightseeing?

Thanks everyone for your help. We are spending time in Rome before our cruise and as we are travelling with children (aged 1, 4, 6 and 10) we are hoping to head along the coast and have a "beach day" before transferring to the airport. I am really not interested in doing any sight seeing that last day. Ideally we would like to stay on the boat and pay to use their facilities for the day but i am not sure that Holland America offers this???

Why not arrange to rent a car in Civitavecchia, drive to the coast and the beach and then leave your car at the airport.

I know I have read here that this can be done.

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1488203

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1462382

That would make everything so much easier. Driving in Italy is not at all difficult. The drivers are well trained and very alert. You just need to go at a steady pace and not worry about cars and motorcycles passing you. If you do rent a car, get a GPS (which speaks English).

Archived