Our Alaskan Excursions...Thoughts?

stiej

We are on the Carnival Spirit out of Seattle next month travelling as 2 adults and our 2 kids 11 and 8. This is our first trip to Alaska (Seattle, the west coast, all of it!) This is what we have booked:

Skagway - Dyea Dave Tour Carcross, Yukon and Emerald Lake

Juneau - ERA Helicopter Tour Glacier landing and Dog Sled

Ketchikan - Deadliest Catch Crab Boat Excursion

Victoria - None? Dont really know what to do with such little time. The kids would probably not enjoy a garden. The castle didnt look all that impressive. Suggestions?

And I checked to see if our ship had the tracy arm cruise off the ship and I didnt see that it did.

While we can still change - does this look ok? Thanks!

We are on the Carnival Spirit out of Seattle next month travelling as 2 adults and our 2 kids 11 and 8. This is our first trip to Alaska (Seattle, the west coast, all of it!) This is what we have booked:

Victoria - None? Dont really know what to do with such little time. The kids would probably not enjoy a garden. The castle didnt look all that impressive. Suggestions?

And I checked to see if our ship had the tracy arm cruise off the ship and I didnt see that it did.

I'm on the Carnival Spirit in mid-August. Our excursions are similar to yours.

Skagway-Dyea Dave on the way up, the WPY on the way down.

Juneau-Whale Watching with Harv & Marv.

Ketchican: Deadliest Catch

Victoria: Since we are so limited in time, just walking around. Would love to see the gardens but not sure we'll have sufficient time.

The dog sled/glacier is one of my husbands bucket list things. Im a little nervous about the helicopter. Im a nervous flyer to begin with, but the helicopter thing is kind of nerve wracking. I checked out the company and it has a great safety record and great reviews on here and tripadvisor, so I am just going to put it in Gods hands and hopefully have a great time on a glacier dog sledding. My husband feels that the price was the most dangerous part ;)

A few thoughts

1) Juneau: Do you have a full day or only 1/2 day? I'd think about getting a trip to Mendenhall. Also have a backup for the dog sledding/heli. Depending on whether that can get canceled, so plann accordingly.

2) Juneau: Also a big place for whale watching if it's something you want to do.

3) Skagway: You could look to move your heli/glaicer there and leave Juneau for Whale watching and Mendenhall.

Your plan sounds like my parent's plan:

Juneau- Tracy Arm Explorer 7 hours (not from the ship because we are on the Pearl)

Skagway- Beyond Skagway 7 hour private tour with Kevin

Ketchikan- Deadliest Catch Tour

Victoria- Roam around downtown due to the short port time

I did all the research for them and felt these were the best options as well. We are doing a few things different and I have listed them below:

My husband and myself are doing the Glacier Extended Trek in Juneau, the private tour in Skagway, and snorkeling in Ketchikan (my husband's idea lol).

Then my sister and brother-in-law are glacier kayaking in Juneau, the private tour in Skagway, and kayaking in Ketchikan.

Either way have a great time!!!!

When do you cruise? We leave June 3rd.

Victoria: Here's what our kids enjoyed there: http://victoriaharbourferry.com/

The website does not have the summer schedule posted yet, so either call them or check back later to see whether they will be open when you get there.

Also, did you call Carnival about the Tracy Arm small boat tour? Some Carnival passengers have reported that they needed to call to make the reservation.

Can only comment on 2, both the Dyea Dave and ERA tours were awesome! Dave gives a wonderful tour and has a great sense of humor, he really knows his stuff. The ERA tour was something I will never forget, you will see sights you will never be able to see anywhere else in the USA.

Have a great time, I can't wait to go back!!

Have booked

Skagway

Private van to Yukon and sled pups with Trail of 98 tours

*they are rated number 1 on Tripadvisor and great to work with

Juneau

got "deal" whale watch 2 for 1, means $60 each with Stories and Legends

Just spoke with Capt Cory again tonight...great guy

Ketchikan

some in my group doing flightsee not me LOL

walk around....see Creek street

Victoria

have booked 2 carriages to take us on 45 minute tour

see gardens, bit of the town (Not buchart LOL)

I am staying in Seattle 3 nights before, have some great stuff booked

including Tillicum Village Salmon Bake (saved $30 on that)

Sky City for lunch and more

The dog sled/glacier is one of my husbands bucket list things. Im a little nervous about the helicopter. Im a nervous flyer to begin with, but the helicopter thing is kind of nerve wracking. I checked out the company and it has a great safety record and great reviews on here and tripadvisor, so I am just going to put it in Gods hands and hopefully have a great time on a glacier dog sledding. My husband feels that the price was the most dangerous part ;)

We did that trip 9 years ago and it was wonderful. Seems like yesterday. It seemed pricey at the time and was $400/p. They have a lot of expenses taking care of the dogs on the glacier. They burn up 5000 cal per day. Don't drag your hand in the snow while on the sled.

The helicopter ride is so beautiful you will forget about being in a helicopter. Just enjoy the birds eye views you will see. It does get a little chilly when the wind hits you coming off the snow. It still follows the Alaskan code that says dress in layers. The mushers were in short sleeves until they got on the sleds. There will be two sleds to a musher so three people and a musher. Get your group organized. These are just ideas since things could have changed.

The dogs are beautiful. Be sure and get the musher's permission to touch the dogs. They know which are kind of funny.

Archived