Skagway - Dog Sledding & Glacier Flightseeing

nativetexan

Hi everyone - trying to help my Mom on some feedback for this activity in Skagway. They are planning to go the first week of June. Would love some info from those that have been or scheduled to go. I suspect this trip is cancelled frequently but would love to hear any reports on activity or value.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

We did this tour last June and loved it! We booked directly with Temsco and they were a very efficient operation. The vendor that runs the dogseldding (Alaska Icefield Expedition) was also wonderful and had a great crew. We had 3 on our sled and we took turns "driving". If you want a picture of you driving the sled then you need to be first because that's when they take the picture and it's only one for the group. After our ride we spent some time touring the camp and petting the puppies. Heaven! :D The flightseeing part was nice as we had great weather!

Overall a highly recommended excursion!

I also did this excursion last June, but booked it through the cruise line. I had booked early in the morning, but it got pushed to later in the afternoon, not sure why. I was so worried because it ended up being VERY windy that afternoon, but they said the wind doesn't affect it so off we went.

It was foggy at the dog sled sight, so they landed the helicopter a ways down from the dogs, then put us in some kind of snow vehicle and up the hill we went, which was an experience in itself. The actual sled ride goes pretty fast. There are 4 to a sled plus the mucher and they rotate you so each has a chance in each position of the sled (one person stands in back).

Some of the dogs actually poop as they are running, so it can get kind of stinky when you ride up front, be prepared for that! After we got to pet some of the babies.

Memorable experience I will never forget!

We did this a few years ago, booked independent.

Beware if you do independent you are on your own to get to the airport. We booked first excursion of the day, lets just say it was a loong walk, but weather was perfect. Lots of complaining on the long walk and from the wife about the price, afterwards nothing but smiles.

As another said, can be canceled due to weather and altitude so plan it such if it is it doesn't ruin your port day.

Hi everyone - trying to help my Mom on some feedback for this activity in Skagway. They are planning to go the first week of June. Would love some info from those that have been or scheduled to go. I suspect this trip is cancelled frequently but would love to hear any reports on activity or value.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

880753250_605DogCamp1stoftheday830am.jpg.6515758f8cef403b8342bf0b7186c400.jpg

484872606_610Walkingouttothedogs.jpg.76d0220a8bf97125d5fe08a59bf9f1c4.jpg

2116284786_625Meetingourdogs.jpg.782a91119f6c2c09d832f9b54aee4aef.jpg

1317512239_640Outsledding.jpg.3c6f1bfe7bf85319f512ca8487c566db.jpg

737808959_695Meetingthepups.jpg.dc5375f28945a394c65760580de81dce.jpg

We did this a few years ago, booked independent.

Beware if you do independent you are on your own to get to the airport. We booked first excursion of the day, lets just say it was a loong walk, but weather was perfect. Lots of complaining on the long walk and from the wife about the price, afterwards nothing but smiles.

As another said, can be canceled due to weather and altitude so plan it such if it is it doesn't ruin your port day.

Hello there,

I was just wondering if you could drive to the dog camp? We are planning to rent a car in Skagway and I would love to visit the sled dogs!!:o

Thanks for your help,

You can drive up to Carcross, Yukon Territory, Canada and see a short show and ride with Michelle Phillips. It is a cart ride but it gives you an idea of what the dogs do....and Michelle is a great gal...She has done both Iditarod and the Yukon Quest....To my knowledge you can't drive to any of the ones on the cruise other than that....However, if you are in the Anchorage area, there are several very good presentations that you can drive to....

We did the morning Helicopter/Glacier/DogSledding in Skagway in August 2010. Booked directly through Temsco. It was exhilarating. The highlight of the trip, by far. If you don't plan on going to Alaska again (which we definitely don't), you should not miss this experience.

In the afternoon, we rented a car in town and drove up the Klondike highway to Emerald Lake using Murray's Guide. And still had time to have a drink at the Red Onion Saloon.

What a day we had!!!

Going to Alaska and not mushing with a dog team is like going to the Sistine Chapel and not looking up!

Archived