New to RCI - question on price drops

My wife and I will be on the Aug 21 Serenade sailing (12 night Med). It's our 2nd cruise ever, and our first on RCI.

I keep hearing about "watching for price drops." If I see a price drop, what should I do? Obviously, the idea is to have RCI match that lower price...but are they REQUIRED to do so, or is it a "goodness of their heart" kind of thing? We booked through a TA (won't explain why...long story). The disadvantage to that is I'm not sure my TA would be as tenacious as I would be...and of course, RCI says they can't make any changes to a booking directly with the passenger if it was a TA booking.

Tips, hints and references to actual policy are all gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Prior to final payment, RCL will honor price drops if it isn't one that is part of a WOW sale for new bookings only. I'm not sure if your TA will handle it the same. They should.

Prior to final payment, RCL will honor price drops if it isn't one that is part of a WOW sale for new bookings only. I'm not sure if your TA will handle it the same. They should.

I'm not familiar with WOW. How can I tell the difference between one of those and just a "normal" price drop?

I'm not familiar with WOW. How can I tell the difference between one of those and just a "normal" price drop?

The WOW sale really doesn't have anything to do with the basic price. It's twice a year and you get a reduced deposit and OBC. We booked our Australia b2b and because both legs of the cruise were longer (16 and 18 days) we had $200 OBC for each leg.

I booked our cruise myself and we ended up with a couple of very nice price drops due to the "over 55" rate that was offered. I found it on the RCL website and called and got the new rate. Since you're using a TA they would have to call - although you can check the price yourself on the RCL website. I think that's why I would rather do it myself - I don't have to worry about a TA not being open on weekends, etc.

My wife and I will be on the Aug 21 Serenade sailing (12 night Med). It's our 2nd cruise ever, and our first on RCI.

I keep hearing about "watching for price drops." If I see a price drop, what should I do? Obviously, the idea is to have RCI match that lower price...but are they REQUIRED to do so, or is it a "goodness of their heart" kind of thing? We booked through a TA (won't explain why...long story). The disadvantage to that is I'm not sure my TA would be as tenacious as I would be...and of course, RCI says they can't make any changes to a booking directly with the passenger if it was a TA booking.

Tips, hints and references to actual policy are all gratefully accepted. Thanks.

As previously mentioned, Royal will honor price drops for any price to which you are entitled (which could be a senior discount, military, resident or just general price drop) provided the price does not indicate "new bookings only." If you want to check for price drops, do a "mock" booking on the Royal site and put in all of the items to which you would be entitled (age, location, etc.) and then select your cabin category and see if the overall price is lower. If it is, then call your agent and ask them to have your booking repriced to the new lower price.

When booking with an agent (for whatever reason you choose to do so) always be sure you understand your agent's procedures for handling price drops, changes and cancellations. Some agents charge for changes or cancellations, others do not. Hopefully you will have no issues should you find a lower price.

After final payment, there will be no more price drops or on board credit if the price of your cabin category drops below your cost. You can, however, look into upgrading if a higher category drops below what you paid or low enough that you're willing to pay the difference.

We booked with a TA. I watch the prices (by looking at bookings). When my kids room was reduced, I contacted the TA. She contacted RCCL and a new invoice for the adjusted amount showed up. I don't expect the TA to watch the prices for us. She also told me if I see another, just call the office and anyone can help me with it as she may or may not be available and sometimes the prices are not available very long.

As others have said, be happy with the price you book as you may or may not qualify for a price reduction. My cabin has gone up in price only. But the TA did get the C&A coupon applied which is something :D

Archived