Glory to Canada

kscaf1

We are considering cruising on the 5 day Glory to St John and Halifax in late June or early July. I really want to see these places and am having a hard time deciding whether to cruise or drive there and take more time exploring. If you have cruised, did you wish you could see more than what would fit in during your one day at port? The drive would be long but we would take our time so be sure to relax a bit there. We haven't been on Carnival in many years and have never been on a "cooler" weather cruise, but I think we would enjoy it.

We love this cruise - we've done four 5-day, two 4-day, and have another 5-day booked for this August. Yes, I do wish I could see more than what we could fit in on a cruise - but part of my thinking is based on my college roommate's vacation several years ago where she and her family drove from New Jersey up to the Maritimes, then through Quebec and back to NJ over three weeks. Not happening for us.:( I think on any cruise we've taken there's hardly a port where I wouldn't say "I wish I could spend more time there." Both Saint John and Halifax are fun ports, with some of the nicest people that you could hope to meet on a cruise. And there's good food in each port!:cool:

Good luck with the decision. I'm just taking my first cruise(s!) to Atlantic Canada this summer, so I'm offering empathy with the decision and no real information. :o

I've lived in New England for over 10 years now, and have been saying to DH the whole time how much I want to visit Nova Scotia (in particular) and the Canadian coast (in general.)

What decided me on the cruise idea was the ability to have a quick visit to so many ports/provinces on my first visit(s.) I'm pretty sure I will fall in love with the area and be dragging DH back for more in the future... but I'll know exactly where I want to go most!

--willo

We did this cruise in June of 2010. We loved it.

As with many ports we have visited, we would like to visit the ports again when we have more time to explore them, but the cruise is a good introduction to them.

A cruise is very different from a drivign vacation, so it's hard to make a comparison - we're comparing apples with oranges here.

I've done this cruise before as a 7night on RCI. I'm doing Carnival in 2 weeks!! This is a great, relaxing cruise. It's a different kind of atmosphere than say a Caribbean cruise. What I like most about cruising in general is the ability to see a port and then decide if I would ever would go on a land trip to that place. I would do both New Brunswick and Nova Scotia by land in a heartbeat. Even more so based on the fact that I was able to get a glimpse. However, it's a long drive to Nova Scotia from where I'm from, even if you take the ferry from Maine. I can't imagine driving from New Jersey for anything less than a week. You have to figure on a days travel there and back leaving at least five days for sightseeing. Now some folks don't have a problem with all that driving. All that being said. I would take the cruise, then decide if you want to go back.

Even from Connecticut New Bruswick and Nova Scotia is a very long drive. Much easier to cruise from Boston or New York.

The way I look at it, if we like the ports we can go back every few years. We booked a pack-n-go rate that was super affordable. It's also nice that these short trips don't eat up a lot of my vacation days at work.

We're researching Saint Johns and Halifax now. So far I'm planning on exploring the cities, going to the Citadel and farmers markets. If we go back in the coming years, we will do shore excursions to points further out.

Even from Connecticut New Bruswick and Nova Scotia is a very long drive. Much easier to cruise from Boston or New York.

The way I look at it, if we like the ports we can go back every few years. We booked a pack-n-go rate that was super affordable. It's also nice that these short trips don't eat up a lot of my vacation days at work.

We're researching Saint Johns and Halifax now. So far I'm planning on exploring the cities, going to the Citadel and farmers markets. If we go back in the coming years, we will do shore excursions to points further out.

I'm from CT and there is no way I'd drive from there either :p

I think you have convinced us! Getting a glimpse of the ports and then deciding if we want to go back (either cruising or driving) really does make sense. I wish we could do a 7 day but there are none in July. We will make a final decision within the next few days but July 2 is looking pretty good! Oliver - I love your review. Thank you all! I am sure I will have more questions as we start to plan.

Archived