Muster Drill

rheasue38

Last October Marina left Civitavecchia at 10pm and our boat drill was held at 5:15. I'm sure not everyone was on board by then ... we'd only arrived not long before. (We left Rome at 3pm and traffic was relatively light, so we made good time, but still -- it's a fair distance.) Aha, my diary revealed the answer -- we boarded around 4:30.

It's hard to predict whether your boat drill will be held 5-ish, however!

My recollection is that we just met in the lounge with our life jackets but didn't actually go to our boat stations (I could well be wrong on that recollection) -- I don't know that they would do so now given what happened to the Costa ship.

Mura

In the past even with late departures the drills were held between 5-6pm (cannot remember the exact time)

Our Marina cruise it was the next morning from SFO but that will have changed now

On the O class ships you do not have to go to the lifeboats so the drill is short (if everyone shows up) ;)

In the past even with late departures the drills were held between 5-6pm (cannot remember the exact time)

Our Marina cruise it was the next morning from SFO but that will have changed now

On the O class ships you do not have to go to the lifeboats so the drill is short (if everyone shows up) ;)

The only time we didn't go to the lifeboats on deck on the O class ships was when there was inclement weather. Every other time (I think it was probably 10) we went on deck. Arlene

The only time we didn't go to the lifeboats on deck on the O class ships was when there was inclement weather. Every other time (I think it was probably 10) we went on deck. Arlene

There is no room on the O class ships for people to go to the lifeboats for the drill

The R class ships you go out to deck 5 under the liifeboats

There is no room on the O class ships for people to go to the lifeboats for the drill

The R class ships you go out to deck 5 under the liifeboats

The lifeboats are lowered from Deck 6 down to Deck 5 where all the passengers are waiting. It would be impossible to go to where the lifeboats are kept as that is where the obtructed staterooms on Deck 6 are. We line up on Deck 5 and wait!! Arlene

We were aboard Marina - 2 May from Athens and sailed at 8pm. The Muster took place at 5:30. We had to show our cruise cards at the Muster Station and "check in". All those who had not checked in had their names and cabin number called out and they had to confirm they were there (or not as the case may be). I think they had to attend a separate Muster later on. It was quite a strict process - and quite rightly so. We didn't go to tenders. Hope this helps.

Glenda

The lifeboats are lowered from Deck 6 down to Deck 5 where all the passengers are waiting. It would be impossible to go to where the lifeboats are kept as that is where the obtructed staterooms on Deck 6 are. We line up on Deck 5 and wait!! Arlene

I think you & I are talking about 2 different things

Of course on the R-ships (Regatta & Nautica) the boats are above you when standing on deck 5 & would be lowered to the deck 5 railing in an emergency

On the O class ships (Marina & Riveria) the boats are off the Grand Bar hall & by Martinis on deck 6

The drill is held in the muster stations but you do not go to the life boat as on the R-ships

there is a small walkway that can only be accessed from the door to the outside (not open to the public) ...I suspect in an real emergency the windows along the the ship would open up so people can access the life boats ..

we did not have to find out on our Marina cruise :)

Next time you are on one of the O class ships look out the curtains on deck 6 ;)

Lyn

Which begs the question...what do you do in an actual emergency if there's no room? :confused:

You have the whole indoor space on deck 6 to get lined up to access the life boats after you are taken from your muster station

Thanks, of course I figured they had a plan. :)

You sort of have to see it to understand :D

Hard to explain in writing

Now where are J & S when you need their photos :D

Since the Costa ship went down, muster drills will be held the same day you board and not within 24 hours.

On recent HAL cruise, everyone had to be checked off. We waited cramped together ( one woman passed out) for close to an hour til they tracked down 4 no shows out of 2,000 passengers before they started the instructions.

Each passenger Boarding Ticket should today have in bold letters;

MUSTER DRILLS ARE MANDATORY, NO EXCEPTIONS to avoid this type of fiasco.

Since the Costa incident, cruise lines have gone from lackadaisical to rigid adherance and it is my opinion that it is the veteran cruiser because past sloppiness who doesn't show up !!!

With such late departures, the cruiselines should notify its pax of the time for muster drill. We sailed with Azamara last year which commenced with an overnight in Venice. So we just ambled aboard after we had dinner in town. We had missed the drill and were told that we should appear in the lounge at a given time for a "make up". We had theater tickets but we dutifully went. There were about 10 other people there who had similarly not been on board yet when the muster drill was conducted and after waiting for 45 minutes we all just left. No muster drill and we sailed the next day with no further contact about it. Seems like for these kinds of departures pax need some advance notice. If I had a 10pm departure I would likely not be on board at 5:30. Wonder how this is being handled now post-Costa?

----------------------

Helen

Archived