So excited.

kayhold

I think some of you may understand my excitement.

Long story short, I have an autoimmune disease and it has caused profound deafness over the past 2 years. I had 2 surgeries last month and they didn't work so I finally caved and bought hearing aids which insurance doesn't cover.

We leave this weekend - and the post office lost my hearing aids. They were missing for a week. I was so stressed out because I was not going to be able to hear people, shows, singers etc on my cruise.

It is so socially weird having to ask people what they said 4 times so most the time I smile and nod and pretend and hope I'm not nodding in agreement to something crazy like giving them my nextborn or something.

I certainly didn't have another 3 grand to buy another set to have overnighted. I filed a claim but it would take weeks.

Anyway, they found them today and I got them!

So happy!

My cruise is saved!

Sent from Tapa-Talk. Please forgive my brevity and lack of punctuation.

Nevermind! Looks like you were editing as I was posting!

Glad they found them! Bon Voyage my friend!

Sorry I had hit submit on my phone, haha.

They'd been in my local office a week! Worse was detroit never scanned them leaving so they thought they were lost!

You have every right to be excited! Good for you! Enjoy your cruise.

Can you hear me now? :)

Hah. My 6 year old gets SO MAD when I can't hear him and tells me "wow mom, you're a terrible listener!" Haha

That's great news, glad you found them! My worst fear is going on a cruise and getting sick and/or hurting myself right before the cruise and having it ruined because I can't do much.

So far I've had good luck and it seems like you just had your share! Congrats!

I'm so glad they found them for you. One of my biggest pet peeves is the fact that insurance doesn't think that issues with hearing or seeing should be covered under insurance payments and therefore won't pay for devices that assist people with hearing impairment or visual impairment. And the cost for many of these things are outrageous.

My STBXH has profound hearing loss in one of his ears. He has been checked and the ENT says that because it's congenital, surgery will not repair anything and his hearing in the other ear has increased to help compensate. However, he often misses what people are saying due to ambient noise, volume or pitch. And he also hates saying "what?" over and over again. My issue is that he's never tried in any way to improve his situation by taking notes, having a little memo minder (tape recorder) so that he can record business conversations to replay later, even when with family, if the initial part of a conversation doesn't sound interesting to him, he tunes the entire thing out. Then says you never told him something when he clearly wasn't listening.

Okay, off my complaint box now. Seriously, so glad you got them.

I have had hearing aids for about 18 months and was amazed when I found out insurance did not cover them.

Purchased them from a local company who also services them so no worries about being lost in the mail or ups .

Did your hearing aids come with a "dryer"? Worst thing for hearing aids is moisture. On a cruise you are around a LOT of humidity, sweat, etc. Be sure to put them in the "dryer" every night at bed time.

If they didnt include one i would recommend going to a local hearing aid shop and buying one. They are like 20-30 dollars, but will vastly expand the lifetime of your hearing aids. Its a good investment.

I have had hearing aids for about 18 months and was amazed when I found out insurance did not cover them.

Purchased them from a local company who also services them so no worries about being lost in the mail or ups .

They told me they only cover things that improve quality of life.

In what world does this not?

Next year when its time to enroll in insurance shop them all. My company offers a few differnt plans. Some covered hearing aids (once every 3 years) and some did not. The price differnce between covered and not covered was like 30 dollars a month, so well worth the money.

I checked this year about changing. We are on the most expensive plan and can't change due to my health issues. The deductibles and co pays are just too much for them so we stayed with the top plan,, not that the others pay for the aids anyway!

So glad they found them!! I too share the sentiment about insurance not covering them. My aunt needs them really bad, but can't afford them. She did buy one of those TV listeners so now she can watch TV without having the volume up full blast.....

I'm happy for you that you finally found them. My dad had that old "smile and nod" thing going on for years and although it provided some comedy relief at times is kinda sucked. You should have a much better cruise now........

ENJOY!

Because of course seeing and hearing do not add to the quality of life. :rolleyes:

I need hearing aids too and saving up to get them. Glad they found yours. :)

Because of course seeing and hearing do not add to the quality of life. :rolleyes:

Do an amazon search for acoustitone pro. My friend lost hers and tried these and swears by them, over her $5K pair.

Unfortunately she didn't tell me about them until I posted on facebook I had bought the others!

I think some of you may understand my excitement.

Long story short, I have an autoimmune disease and it has caused profound deafness over the past 2 years. I had 2 surgeries last month and they didn't work so I finally caved and bought hearing aids which insurance doesn't cover.

We leave this weekend - and the post office lost my hearing aids. They were missing for a week. I was so stressed out because I was not going to be able to hear people, shows, singers etc on my cruise.

It is so socially weird having to ask people what they said 4 times so most the time I smile and nod and pretend and hope I'm not nodding in agreement to something crazy like giving them my nextborn or something.

I certainly didn't have another 3 grand to buy another set to have overnighted. I filed a claim but it would take weeks.

Anyway, they found them today and I got them!

So happy!

My cruise is saved!

I am in the midst of being diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, can you email me dcola at rogers dot com.

Also check out your local Costco. They have some of the better brand name hearing aids and you can get a pair for around 2k. Not cheap, but i have had mine for almost three years and they are still working great with the occasional tune up (which they have never charged me for)

Did your hearing aids come with a "dryer"? Worst thing for hearing aids is moisture. On a cruise you are around a LOT of humidity, sweat, etc. Be sure to put them in the "dryer" every night at bed time.

If they didnt include one i would recommend going to a local hearing aid shop and buying one. They are like 20-30 dollars, but will vastly expand the lifetime of your hearing aids. Its a good investment.

Thanks. They did not but I have a water proof case with silica packets that I am going to use.

Thanks. They did not but I have a water proof case with silica packets that I am going to use.

You still need to invest in a dryer to get the moisture out of them. It is just a little bowl like device that it just warm and dries out any moisture in them over night.

You still need to invest in a dryer to get the moisture out of them. It is just a little bowl like device that it just warm and dries out any moisture in them over night.

Thanks. I will check into it tomorrow or when we get :ack from our cruise.

:D

Archived