Traveling with cash

kayhold

I am not sure what post you read where people are insisting anything. People are allowed to make suggestions that the OP might not have thought of. Because the OP has inquired about it further I assume it 'might' be a reasonable situation but each person is different.

No one 'insisted' anything so I am not sure what you are reading. People made excellent posts about cash and people made alternate suggestions about a prepaid card.. thats all I see. Since the OP came back and inquired about pre-paid cards, I dont think your snide comments about people 'insisting' anything is really appropriate... but ... I guess you will never understand it like you said

Snide? Really? Where exactly did my post turn into a snide remark? I think your post to me was rude and uncalled.

What about a real credit card, but with a very low limit?

Like let's say if ur planning on bringing 1500$ on u. Can't u request that as ur limit on ur CC? And just use it for whenever u travel!

Just wondering

The first thing we do is split it between the 2 of us. Once we're on the ship most of it goes into the safe.

When we hit a port we take some out and again we split it between the 2 of us, but I always make him pay. ;)

You sound like me. I will take probably around $2000, split between me and DH. Also, I will take my Am. Express in case of an emergency and put my Am Express on my S&S card. My Am. Express ( there is no limit) you have to pay the total balance at the end of the month and to me, that is like cash. No big deal. I never leave home without it! :) I do want to establish good credit and without CC, I don't think you do.

It appears from one of your other posts that you bank with Wells Fargo. Just as an FYI, you can order travelers' checks online from Wells Fargo, you just can't get them at your local branch.

Yeah, when I went today to buy them, I found out I had to order them. We leave Sunday, so no time now, unfortunately. The checks were the original plan :)

You sound like me. I will take probably around $2000, split between me and DH. Also, I will take my Am. Express in case of an emergency and put my Am Express on my S&S card. My Am. Express ( there is no limit) you have to pay the total balance at the end of the month and to me, that is like cash. No big deal. I never leave home without it! :) I do want to establish good credit and without CC, I don't think you do.

Our credit is used for cars (We just paid both off, though after 5 year loans) and we have our mortgage. We have ONE Brandsmart card and when we need an appliance, we wait until they have their 9 month 0% interest promotions, and use it then.

What about a real credit card, but with a very low limit?

Like let's say if ur planning on bringing 1500$ on u. Can't u request that as ur limit on ur CC? And just use it for whenever u travel!

Just wondering

Trust me, I will blow it. I have to have an immediate consequence to spending (over drawing is one) to keep me from spending it. It took me a long time to break the habit and I won't tempt it because I never, ever want to be $20k in CC debt again. It's just better I don't have one.

That said, I am an authorized user on all of my mothers cards and in a true, true emergency, I can use it without having the temptation of having an actual card in my wallet.

I can also instantly transfer money from savings if needed.

trust me, if there is a way for me to easily go in debt, it will be done. My next new car will be bought in cash if I can manage to make my current 5 year old one last me another 10 years.

Jeez. I get it now. I wouldn't want to be in debt for 20K. Guess I am lucky, my car and mortgage is paid, but I can tell you this, I sure can spend, spend, spend :eek:. But I did stop this with my Am. Express. I do have to pay my WHOLE BALANCE off at the end of the month. That has helped me watch my spending. I don't like paying interest either. :(

We also carry cc's with us. We have Visa and Am. X. Mostly they are taken because they are already in our wallets.

I feel more secure with the Visa. We've found some places don't like Am.X. We use the cards for everything that will allow us to in our everyday life. As another poster said we like the "free money" we get from them. We pay them in full each month too.

OP - Hope you have a really good time on your cruise. :)

If you use a card of any kind it must have your name on it. I also prefer cash. It is wonderful living life debt free. Like another poster said I have a pacsafe cross body bag. It never leaves my sight. Go to ebags.com and you will find lots of them of every kind.

Jeez. I get it now. I wouldn't want to be in debt for 20K. Guess I am lucky, my car and mortgage is paid, but I can tell you this, I sure can spend, spend, spend :eek:. But I did stop this with my Am. Express. I do have to pay my WHOLE BALANCE off at the end of the month. That has helped me watch my spending. I don't like paying interest either. :(

Yeah, it wasn't fun. I had ADD, and as a result, I was pretty impulsive in my younger years. From age 18 to about 22, all I did was charge credit cards, because after all, they just kept sending them to me! I mean, why not take that vacation! I don't have to pay it up front, right???

After my son was born we got it together and paid it all off, but even though I am much less impulsive, I think its because I dont have the option.

Our house still has about 25 years left on it, but we're in our early 30's so it doesn't bother us too much - we'd be paying rent somewhere, anyway~

Take atleast 5k with you, put 100.00 in each pocket. Then buy some underwear and sew a pocket on them and put in 500. Then buy some pantyhose and put 2k in them. Get a hat and fold up 500.00 and put them in your hat. Buy some gloves and put 300. in each of them. And then at last put the rest in a super secret money belt just in case. Also put 20 bucks in an envelope labeled Money in here take this and leave it on your bed. Just kidding. People really get worked up around here.

This week my fellow cruisers I was a victim of card fraud! We don't know how the person got all of my infornmtion from my debit card. But the idiot was stupid enough to make an online payment for their water bill. My bank remedied the situation and I did file a police report. I hope they prosecute and I am filing a claim for the damaged they caused! Please be careful everyone!

Take atleast 5k with you, put 100.00 in each pocket. Then buy some underwear and sew a pocket on them and put in 500. Then buy some pantyhose and put 2k in them. Get a hat and fold up 500.00 and put them in your hat. Buy some gloves and put 300. in each of them. And then at last put the rest in a super secret money belt just in case. Also put 20 bucks in an envelope labeled Money in here take this and leave it on your bed. Just kidding. People really get worked up around here.

For a second, I thought you were serious, haha. I was like "No way am I taking 5k! I am not even planning on spending HALF of the 1k we're taking!"

Yeah, it wasn't fun. I had ADD, and as a result, I was pretty impulsive in my younger years. From age 18 to about 22, all I did was charge credit cards, because after all, they just kept sending them to me! I mean, why not take that vacation! I don't have to pay it up front, right???

After my son was born we got it together and paid it all off, but even though I am much less impulsive, I think its because I dont have the option.

Our house still has about 25 years left on it, but we're in our early 30's so it doesn't bother us too much - we'd be paying rent somewhere, anyway~

Good for you! :)

For a second, I thought you were serious, haha. I was like "No way am I taking 5k! I am not even planning on spending HALF of the 1k we're taking!"

I was just saying to myself, no way would I take 5K for spending on a cruise :eek:. Now I realize he was kidding. :p

I just want to say thanks for the suggestions.

I usually always wear sundesses, so I think tonight I will sit down crochet up a quick money belt I can hide under my dresses.

Thanks again!

I actually bought a coach crossbody bag for our cruise! I would say if you are going to carry that amt of cash I would keep it in your purse and your purse on you.

Also, I did not know you could add money to your account before getting on the ship, thank you!

I actually bought a coach crossbody bag for our cruise! I would say if you are going to carry that amt of cash I would keep it in your purse and your purse on you.

Also, I did not know you could add money to your account before getting on the ship, thank you!

Yep!

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=giftcertificates&pid=FSD

When it asks for the address, put "BOOKING #00000 ONBOARD CREDIT" instead of your address and it should be there within a day!

It really helps the budget when the money is already sitting there and can't be spent!

Archived