Traveling with cash

kayhold

We don't do credit cards, and I do not want to use my debit card on the ship or in port. We've already put money on our account with funship dollars, prepaid tips, etc.

We're going to take about 1k with us, but I am worried something will happen.

Obviously on the ship, we can use the safe, but for you who carry cash, how do you make sure it stays safe until you board?

Right now, I'm mainly considering a cross body bag and it never leaving my side, except we're leaving a day early to spend the day at Jacksonville Beach.

So, how do you keep your cash safe? (Not really asking for advice, I'm sure I will manage, just wondering what others do)

I dont carry that much cash and use a credit card so I get points toward free onboard credit. Why waste free money, dont get it.

But I do try and keep it tight to my body in my purse and keep it in the safe, and only bring what I need into ports.

I have a envelope of mostly $1s and small bills I take some into the port to haggle with.

We keep most in the safe, until we need it. We don't take that much either, load up the S&S pre-cruise, and the rest goes on a credit card, with full payment made upon return.

I know you were not looking for advice, but thought I would mention this. An emergency credit card is always a good idea especially while traveling. We experienced a medical emergency onboard a few years ago requiring us to debark in Grand Cayman. We did have travel (and health) insurance to cover ALL expenses, but many expenses required payment in full up front. Our total expenses for this ordeal were over $115,000, and the part had to pay up front was around $10,000. My emergency credit card with a high credit limit saved the day(s). Everything was reimbursed within a couple weeks of filing claims, but just thought I'd throw this out there for others to consider.

I dont carry that much cash and use a credit card so I get points toward free onboard credit. Why waste free money, dont get it.

But I do try and keep it tight to my body in my purse and keep it in the safe, and only bring what I need into ports.

I have a envelope of mostly $1s and small bills I take some into the port to haggle with.

We dont use credit cards, ever. We don't even own any except one Brandsmart card that I only use if it gets the 9 months promotion deal with the purchase. We prefer to pay for things with cash.

out of curiosity, why not get a prepaid credit card and put the 1K on there. It would only have the money you put on, there is no debt to pay or monthly payment. when the money runs out, thats it.

I can understand not having or using the real credit cards due to interest rates, and the fear of using more than your bidget would allow but a prepaid card is just a card with the amount you prepay on it.

Im not knocking the use of cash. I have done that myself when I dont want to use credit cards. But I think prepaid cards have a useful purpose too

If you are going to be carrying cash/valuables with you, check 'Pacsafe' products. They are anti-theft bags/purses/walets and so on that have slash proof mesh, wire though bag straps to prevent cutting, and hidden zips/fasteners to deter pickpockets.

We are the same. But one thing I have found useful are the pre-paid credit cards. They are useful when you need a credit card, but you don't necessarily want to get a Visa or MC or you don't want anyone to have your bankcard information.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

We keep most in the safe, until we need it. We don't take that much either, load up the S&S pre-cruise, and the rest goes on a credit card, with full payment made upon return.

I know you were not looking for advice, but thought I would mention this. An emergency credit card is always a good idea especially while traveling. We experienced a medical emergency onboard a few years ago requiring us to debark in Grand Cayman. We did have travel (and health) insurance to cover ALL expenses, but many expenses required payment in full up front. Our total expenses for this ordeal were over $115,000, and the part had to pay up front was around $10,000. My emergency credit card with a high credit limit saved the day(s). Everything was reimbursed within a couple weeks of filing claims, but just thought I'd throw this out there for others to consider.

I personally, learned a long time ago that I can not be be trusted with a credit card. I am an impulsive buyer, so we deal with cash only.

We do have a debit card that is attached to our savings, so I have access to money if I need it. I would just prefer to not have to keep up with reciepts, other country surcharges, or the chance of the number being stolen.

We have used money belts in Europe under our clothes... as a woman, one can buy or make a delcollete wallet (bra wallet) which is very secure. I have carried a decoy purse at times filled with everyday cosmetic items as a target- this came in handy in Rome a few years ago.

When I withdrew the money today, I asked Wells Fargo about a prepaid card and they said they don't do them. Where could I get one? Walmart?

Is it trackable if I lose it?

out of curiosity, why not get a prepaid credit card and put the 1K on there. It would only have the money you put on, there is no debt to pay or monthly payment.

I would be carefull giving this advice as you cannot use a gift card onboard, it has to be one embossed with your name.

When I withdrew the money today, I asked Wells Fargo about a prepaid card and they said they don't do them. Where could I get one? Walmart?

Is it trackable if I lose it?

Wells Fargo does have them, but they are moreso to rebuild your credit. I bank there also, that's how I know. You can get them from Walmart (their money card). I do Wired Plastic. The card comes pre-printed with your name. And it adheres to Visa policies. So if there are fraudulent charges or lost/stolen, the protocol is the same. You can reload them at any Western Union or Money Gram, or also do direct deposit. Just a note, there is a $3.50 monthly fee charged. But I still think it makes for great "credit card needed" card.

I don't use my credit card on board for obc, i could, but i don't.

The cash i keep in my front pocket, not in my wallet, were i can feel it.

Till i get on board and use the safe.

Just wondering...and i don't mean anythig bad by this...but can u even book a hotel room without a credit card?

No pre-paids are not giftcards. But to firefly's point, sometime when you get them from Walgreens or Walmart, they do not have your name embossed. That's why I recommend like Wireplastic or Rush card.

A prepaid cc is not a gift card. Is it?

some are, some are not.

I just would be careful.

For one thing if you have a card and plan on using up all the cash, the fake charges, whatever you call them when they test your account and put thru a test charge, it means you cant use them down to $0. Its the main complain about using a debit card.

they are just not a good idea for cruising.

I don't use my credit card on board for obc, i could, but i don't.

The cash i keep in my front pocket, not in my wallet, were i can feel it.

Till i get on board and use the safe.

Just wondering...and i don't mean anythig bad by this...but can u even book a hotel room without a credit card?

I just use my visa debit card for anything that needs a credit card, since it comes out of my bank account, its essentially cash. I won't forget to pay it off, and I won't charge up more than I have in the bank since it is deducted immediately.

I can use my debit card anywhere Visa is accepted.

Archived