Tipping from a cruise staff perspective

why not just add it to the base fare? Possibly because the company would then have to pay corporate tax on this revenue - maybe 20% - thus decreasing the amount the staff get by same 20%

...........increased crew salary .......... Would be an item on the expenses side of the ledger (salary is an expense against income).

yep, my thoughts exactly. Adding grats to cruise ticket prices increases both income & expenditure for the cruise line, with zero effect on nett profit & tax payable. Just one of a number of excuses i've seen on cc for maintaining the system of low basic + tips. The reason, plain & simple, is to offer an artificially-low headline ticket price by getting the passengers to pay the wages on top.

but travel agents who are paid a percentage of sales would see a slight increase that wasn't really an increased sale

yes, there'd be a pretty small increase in t/a commissions. Cruise lines could re-negotiate the percentage accordingly.

it's confusing in the usa because of the custom that service industry income is often a small base plus gratuities, even though there are many among us who would rather just see a "living wage" as opposed to the present system. It's so ingrained into the culture that a change seems unlikely.

this is the real difficult connundrum. It's the american way, on home soil as well as at sea. Catches out visitors to the us, or at least it certainly used to. Embarrassingly, on my first visit to the states decades ago, not knowing the culture i tipped around 10% in restaurants & zilch to barmen etc. Worse, it still catches out brits, antipodeans & others who take a cruise on a us ship that goes nowhere near the usa. Even though they may not be on their first cruise - because tips are built into the ticket prices of many brit ships. They baulk at being told how much they should tip, especially when that expectation is buried in web & contract small-print.

and even though i know the ropes, i still have a mental block about tipping extra on top of auto or recommended tips, cos double-tipping just isn't logical.

yet when i cruise on a tips-included ship i always put my hand in my pocket at the end of the cruise- and so do most other folk.

if us cruise lines upped ticket prices & paid a living wage, i'm sure that all nationalities would still tip something & crew would see their nett income rise.

it would also get money out of those cheapskates who tip little or nothing.

but let's face it - sadly it ain't gonna happen

jb :)

Just found this thread and am thankful to Cruise Staff for starting it last May. I haven't read every post but the majority of them.

I knew nothing about tipping on my first cruise but saw the tips added and paid up. What I didn't know but was told later was that the people who bring room service food are not part of the pool. I like room service breakfast so now take enough $1 bills to cover those tips for the cruise. I tip at least $3 and maybe $4 depending on what I've ordered.

Now, here's a sensitive issue. I am a retired widow on a fixed income. Travel is my passion, and I find a way to do it. But, money is always tight for me, so I rarely tip over and above the amount suggested by the cruiseline and added to my bill. When I do it's minimal, and I always tell the staff member that I wish it could be more. I feel guilty when I see others doing it, but it's a reality of my own financial situation.

As long as you are tipping the minimum and giving room server/spa staff/porters/cab drivers/etc. a tip, then you are fine. Of course if you have a server or steward who goes above and beyond to assist you with a special/unusual request or need you might have, I'd hand them a few extra dollars as a thank you. If they are only doing what is part of their job, no reason to tip more if you don't care to or are unable to.

PS--I think you are being almost overly generous in the room service tip if they are bringing breakfast for one. My opinion, and I'm a generous tipper.

Hi Cruise staff,

I have a question. at the end of my cruise last december, I had cans of coke and diet coke that we brought on board.. and beer...(ok yes I brought some too) As we were leaving I told my steward that he can have them.. I felt kind of bad though... obviously I tip, thats not a question. Do you think he was offended... Do you think he would even want them.. I mean I assume that staff get free food and drinks, and alcohol on days off... I also left a new Airwick areosol spray in the washroom for the next passengers and well as a night light.. would that have been thrown out? Thanks for your time!

Archived